Poll, how many cats say "Moma"?

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Maggie says "Moma". Now I'm not crazy I know she doesn't realize that is what she is saying. She does realize that when she meows like that I'm going to respond. Usually with a "What's wrong my princess." So I know my cat is not the only one that meows what sounds like words. Who else? (OK so it's slow at work & I'm bored)

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Max makes all kinds of sounds, mostly "Ow-wow" but one does sound a little bit like "maaaa-ma."

However, I know darn well it's just a sound.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

However, I know darn well it's just a sound.
Isn't it funny though how they can pick up on which sound you respond to. All it took was me fawning over her once or twice when she meowed like that, now she does it all the time.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine don't meow "mama" but when Jasmine meows it's like she's saying "ell-o"
It's hilarious

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My pair don't really talk talk..... but they have certain sounds that equate to words. They are however bilingual
If you know what I mean..... they understand English and Danish. When it comes to food at least.......

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tomas makes a moma meow too. Seems to be an easy sound for cats to make. However he only makes it to me, never for DH no matter how excited Tomas is to get a treat.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a couple that make word sound meows, but it's not Mama, it's more like Ma! Ma! Ma! Ma!!!!!!!!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bnwalker2

Lilly and Spooky Bear make that sound all the time, I think it's adorable!
I love it when she does it. Maggie does it most when she is hungry & I'm ignoring her.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whitey does more the "mra-om" (mom) noise. It's super cute, especially when their bowls are empty and its 5 am (Ok not cute that the time).

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Enzy does!!!!! He has a lot of different words too! You can tell the difference between Mom and Dad, and Sorry and it wasn't me

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's Dylan who says Mama, actually, and he's talking to my mom. I think he actually does know what he's saying -- because my father has long been in the habit of calling Mom "Mama," and he calls out to her many times every day. So when Dylan stands outside Mom's bedroom door and cries mournfully, "Mmmammma?" I believe he really is trying to imitate Papa's voice!

And my Clydie is a devious one. His voice is naturally pretty low, but he knows that Mom will always open her door for St. John (her special beloved), so he stands there and imitates St. John's tiny, high-pitched mew to get her to let him in!

Ah, they are all so much smarter than most of us realize...

eburgess

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Limerick is licking his chops while meowing it can sound like "Momma" but he really doesn't any anything buy "Meow". The funny thing is when i asked him is my Dh was crazy he seemed to nod "yes".... we just about died laughing!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Geronimo not only says "Mama", he thinks I'm his Mama!

Maverick says something that sounds like "Ma-Rwow", and a few other "words" too. He's the talker of the bunch.

Winchester, Spencer, & Gabriel don't really "talk" that much: they're the strong, silent type.

~KK~