Are you stopping adoptions for Christmas

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our rescue does not do adoptions the weekend before Christmas. It's too crazy. We counsel people not to get pets as holiday gifts for a loved one. The intended "adoptor" has to be in on it. This season, while we have placed quite a few cats recently, no one has said the animals were Xmas presents.

I did advise one dad who wanted to get his 11 y.o. daughter a cat for Xmas to bring her along and into the process, that she was old enough and would be thrilled to "pick out" her pet. He didn't come back.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I no longer work at a shelter but when I did we stopped all adoptions from mid-December until January 2nd. People could come and meet the animals, and put in applications for the pet they wanted to adopt but they couldn't take the animal home until the 2nd.

Now, I have a rescue group and this year I don't have any fosters (at least not yet, lol) but if I did I would be following the same rules we had at the shelter.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We only allow people to adopt as Christmas gifts if the person they are adopting from is with them to pick out the cat or kitten. We do this all year round with people who want to buy Birthday gifts for others. We actually took out 6 kittens (3 differnt homes) yesterday. I don't think any were gifts. We adopt through out the holidays, but it's the same waiting period & delivery time as always.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is your waiting / delivery time.

We stopped adoptions as of today, people can come in and apply for a pet and pick it up after Christmas (starting the 27th) which seems to be stopping many of the gifts.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are open tonight & Saturday, then we normally call on Monday, to do a follow up interview & call references then delivery just depends on when a volunteer can get in to pick up the cat & deliver them to the home. This week calls won't be made until the 26th or 27th. I don't know how busy we will be tonight. Last week we hardly had anyone & everyone was looking for 8 to 12 week old kittens. The youngest was about 14 weeks old. That was one of the 2 that I delivered to their new home yesterday. The man I took them to had signed up last Thursday. Usually the soonest they would be delivered would be Tuesday. We do allow people who have adopted from us recently, or multiple times to take the cat home the same day.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We allow many people to take home the same day, if there are others in the household we ask them to come in and choose as a family

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't work at a shelter, and I doubt that many shelters could do this, but last year my sister got me a giftcard to the Humane Society with the amount of the adoption fee for an adult cat. That way it's still a gift and I got to pick out Loki myself!

Tricia

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was at our shelter yesterday and they tried to get me to take one home then... of course they know me and all but I dont think ours stops at all through the year...ever. I couldn't take one though as mine are just on the mend...

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Green Bunny

I don't work at a shelter, and I doubt that many shelters could do this, but last year my sister got me a giftcard to the Humane Society with the amount of the adoption fee for an adult cat. That way it's still a gift and I got to pick out Loki myself!

Tricia
That is what we are doing, with the condition that the adopter passes our screening

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We were open to the public last night & the first guy that came in wanted a small kitten & of coarse wanted it by christmas. The rest of the night went well though. One adult cat & one pair of adult cats were signed up for last night. Both adopters were understanding of having to wait until after Christmas and were very nice. I hope the pair goes through. The Mom & Daughter were in love, the Boyfriend wasn't sure about 2, but really liked the cats. He was a very nice guy but wanted more time to think before taking 2. Which to me is fine, I'd rather they are sure they are ready than take them and change their mind.

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We dont stop adoptions but we dont do gift adoptions unless the person who is going to have the cat comes in a signs the papers. We also give out gift certificate papers that people can pay the adoption fee and then the person can come in and find the kitty they like later and fill out the paper work and all that stuff.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I prefer to see a bit of flexibility - as someone who doesn't celebrate Christmas and who usually has 2 weeks off work and who generally spends that time at home by myself, I can guarantee that for some people without children or large extended family get togethers, it would be the ideal quiet (and for many, an otherwise very lonely) time to settle in a new arrival!

I do agree it's wrong to pick out an animal as a surprise gift for someone else - take them with you, let them chose and be screened for suitability, and then pay the fee for them is ok.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sure most shelters make exceptions, we had a couple who came in looking with the same reasons, they were home for 2 weeks and could spend time with it and the adoption counsellor may have considered allowing them to take it as they didn't want a cute baby kitten etc, but they couldn't choose and said they would be back next week.

One of the other main reasons is the ribbons etc around at Christmas and inexperienced pet owners who would think it is cute. The e-vet was VERY busy last year.

catcaregiver

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was dismayed to see large signs with the words "Christmas Puppies!" posted by a dog rescue groups at our local Animal Control kennel and at Petsmart.
Rescues are supposed to know better.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are like the bulk of rescues in the UK, we stop mid Dec and dont start again till the 5th Jan. We are flexible when it comes to adults being rehomed though, as long as the people adopting are having a quiet Christmas, as that is our main concern - lots of people coming and going, doors being opened for longer due to getting presents in and out, more people to get used to, and then all the extra noises. We have let 3 adults go after our official closing date, and last year we brought the opening date forward 2 days (our own fault for doing it on a Mon rather than a Sat!!). We are not generally open for people dropping cats off in that 3 weeks either, although we have spaces for emergencies.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Today one shelter near by actually went around and delivered newly adopted animals to their new homes

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We do not stop adoptions. We do, however, require speaking with the new owner if someone plans to "gift" a pet. No surprise pets given to people.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

One of the shelters here was offering free gifts to children with adoptions
I'm sorry but that is outrageous - I think it reduces the 'value' (iykwim) of the cat to that of a pack of breakfast cereal or a happy meal