Last-Minute Gift Idea Exchange

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you've got a brilliant idea for an easy last-minute gift, post it here! And if you're in desperate need of an idea, post that here too...

My brilliant idea: AAA membership. It's $50 (or $80 for the premium membership), it includes all sorts of useful services for anyone who drives much, and right now, there's a nifty little chill-pack picnic thing that's free with a gift membership!

My desperate need: Something smallish to give my nephew, who is about to turn 10. We have a big gift for him, but we need some other small things. What do ten-year-old boys like these days?

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
what boys like have never changed,
toy guns, toy swords, etc, lol
the famous little green army men,
hmm legos, and i forget the name, lots of sticks with differt shape stuff you stick the sticks into,, you bulid your owne stuff,,

let me go see if i can find

http://www.amazon.com/Hasbro-54809-T...toys-and-games

they say the age range is 7 but let him make his owne toys

u8myufo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have got no idea

As a child my Aunty bought me a book. Hughh!! I thought it was called things to make and do, and I got more pleasure from that book than I ever did from a toy.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get the nephew some Lincoln Logs- omg i used to LOVE them when i was little!!!! Or a tent- those are always fun too! I had a pink barbie doll tent i pitched right in the middle of my bedroom and thought it was the most cool thing ever to sleep in it

I am still trying to figure out what to get my 13 yr old niece

pjk5900

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
magazine subscriptions??

Teen magazine?
Mad comics?
Cosmo Girl
Sports Ill.
Glamour
Time
etc.....

Give them a card with something written about when they should expect the first issue.
Most you can do online.
Hearst Publishing has Cosmo.

Plus they get 12 presents so they always remember you every month.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that most kids now-a-days love anything that's electronic (like hand-held games, or something similar).

For a last-minute gift? Gift cards are what I get, if I can't think of anything else, or if I'm desperate..
They're not really all that personal, but at least the recipient can get what they really want.

~KK~

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

what boys like have never changed,
toy guns, toy swords, etc, lol
the famous little green army men,
hmm legos, and i forget the name, lots of sticks with differt shape stuff you stick the sticks into,, you bulid your owne stuff,,

let me go see if i can find

http://www.amazon.com/Hasbro-54809-T...toys-and-games

they say the age range is 7 but let him make his owne toys
Tinker Toys?

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Tinker Toys?
Yep, good thing to play with

i got my nephew some when he was 9 or so,
model airplanes, cars and stuff is good for young boys i think

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

...My desperate need: Something smallish to give my nephew, who is about to turn 10. We have a big gift for him, but we need some other small things. What do ten-year-old boys like these days?
Here, 10 year-old boys want hockey gear and WebKinz. Maybe doesn't help you though.

I found this: http://www.findgift.com/Holidays/Chr...oys/Ages-9-10/

blondrebel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
what the heck is webkins?? my sister has ordered like 60 of those things on ebay lately

my nephew is into magnetix this year, and his big thing he wanted from santa was two guinnee pigs! I think we talked him outta that though

blondrebel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
that has got to be the strangest emergency kit i have ever seen nailfile and lipgloss and breathfreshner?, unless the teen girl is ms. mcgyver i hate to see whta kind of emergency this is for. my SO asked what would be in the guys version, lol.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For a smaller gift for a 10 year old, I agree - go with a lego kit.

For the 13 year old girl, what about a gift card for best buy or whatever store around that area that sells cds, dvds, and games? (aside from walmart because not all of them have decent selections). That or a gift card for JCPennys, let her pick out her own clothes.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

For a smaller gift for a 10 year old, I agree - go with a lego kit.

For the 13 year old girl, what about a gift card for best buy or whatever store around that area that sells cds, dvds, and games? (aside from walmart because not all of them have decent selections). That or a gift card for JCPennys, let her pick out her own clothes.
That might work
i was going to get her some stuff to draw with (she LOVES to draw) as well so a gift card could be good too!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

That might work
i was going to get her some stuff to draw with (she LOVES to draw) as well so a gift card could be good too!
Oh, well if you're going to get art supplies get quality. How about a nice set of prisma color pencils? (not cheap
). Other options are good quality paper -such as strathmore, general or kimberly drawing pencils are ok too. In fact real art supplies are kind of pricey - If you have a hobby lobby there it might be worth checking their site for coupons.