Dead Stare

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I totally forgot about this until I uploaded my pictures. On Friday night I found Cello sitting on the arm of the love seat with his tongue hanging out. He was staring straight and it took me almost 15mins to get him to shake out of it. What do you think about this? He has been acting normal since.

Sorry about the quality. My battery was dying and I had it on the wrong setting.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only thing I can think of is did he have some catnip before this? That can sometimes space kitties out, they don't always have to go nuts

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope. He actually doesn't like catnip. Sniffs and walks away.
I don't know if he was asleep with his eyes open or something else.
I was totally scared and ready to run to the ER vet. Finally he came around and started purring.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

Nope. He actually doesn't like catnip. Sniffs and walks away.
I don't know if he was asleep with his eyes open or something else.
I was totally scared and ready to run to the ER vet. Finally he came around and started purring.
I can just imagine!! I would have been freaking out too

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Leo and Spike have their tongues sticking out like that and they stare a lot, but usually snap out of it pretty quickly. It's usually when they're still half asleep.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bnwalker2

Leo and Spike have their tongues sticking out like that and they stare a lot, but usually snap out of it pretty quickly. It's usually when they're still half asleep.
I am hoping that was the issue. My first thought was a seizure.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitties sometimes get really relaxed and thats when mine do that! It gets really silly looking but they always snap out of it! Ive seen dogs do it too, just not as much! Good luck and let us know what you find out!

sillyitiliangrl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

I found Cello sitting on the arm of the love seat with his tongue hanging out. He was staring straight and it took me almost 15mins to get him to shake out of it.
Maybe its because my cat recently had a grandmal seziure, but could it have been a mild one? They asked me while I was at the vet with him if I ever saw him sitting there staring seeminly unconciouse.

Sorry if I scared you, but, it could be a possibilty, no?

Here is an exceprt from the following site http://home.stny.rr.com/carmon/seizures.htm

"Please note that there is an incredibly wide range of symptoms associated with seizures. Generalized convulsions are rare in cats. More common is the "partial complex seizure," which involves an "altered consciousness" and can involve anything from a lack of motion to bizarre behavior such as attacking invisible objects or frantic running and collisions with objects (yes, I know your cat does this normally, this is why it's difficult to diagnose). The major indication that unusual behavior is being caused by a seizure is the presence of "features typical of seizure activity such as facial twitching, salivation, or progression to generalized seizure." (Parent and Quesnel, 1996)"

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sillyitiliangrl

Maybe its because my cat recently had a grandmal seziure, but could it have been a mild one? They asked me while I was at the vet with him if I ever saw him sitting there staring seeminly unconciouse.

Sorry if I scared you, but, it could be a possibilty, no?

Here is an exceprt from the following site http://home.stny.rr.com/carmon/seizures.htm

"Please note that there is an incredibly wide range of symptoms associated with seizures. Generalized convulsions are rare in cats. More common is the "partial complex seizure," which involves an "altered consciousness" and can involve anything from a lack of motion to bizarre behavior such as attacking invisible objects or frantic running and collisions with objects (yes, I know your cat does this normally, this is why it's difficult to diagnose). The major indication that unusual behavior is being caused by a seizure is the presence of "features typical of seizure activity such as facial twitching, salivation, or progression to generalized seizure." (Parent and Quesnel, 1996)"
TY for posting. Your thread made me think seizure. I had a co-worker have one in front of me and just before she fell to the ground she was in a dead stare. We definately want to get him to the vet after the holidays. If I see him doing it again I will try to get him in sooner. It's hard with Christmas next week and all.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck to you and your kitty!
Let me know what you find out from your vet as my kitties do this all the time!! If its something bad, I wanna know!

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
oh I hope it's nothing bad...

My kitties would do this sometimes but never for 15 minutes...