Kitty with dry skin?

tickytat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Now that the terribly dry winter air is back, Mitties has been very itchy (and me too!). I don't see any dandruff; her hair is very sleek and soft and I think that's due to her high quality food, but she's stratches herself a lot, particularly her face and back of head. She has been drinking more water and I've been running the humidifier, and we're both miserable. I can use lotion to quench the skin, but what (if anything) can I do for Mitties?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
* ASK the VET*

you may want to add a oil like salmon or fish oil ... i say ask since well Mitties is a sensitive girl

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard that removing beef (and sticking to other meats like duck, chicken, etc.) from the diet can help.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sakura

I've heard that removing beef (and sticking to other meats like duck, chicken, etc.) from the diet can help.
RARELY is beef the problem.. I think in cat food allergies it is like 10th?? behind chicken and lamb ... it is true for dog s where beef is the Number one most common meat allergy

ohh and the kitty in question is getting chn turkey and salmon... If it continues past the "winter" itches she may have an issue with one of the ingrediants in the Orijen( * crosses fingers* for just the winter blahs

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless you are frequently adding water to the humidifier, it is probably still a bit dry in your house. We rarely (knock on wood) drop past the upper 20s in the winter, but it is still hard to keep the humidity level up. So I will fill a stock pot full of water and boil it in the evenings after work and turn it off before I go to bed. It really does help my husband.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tickytat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have a baseboard humidifier (that attaches to the baseboard heater) and I have to fill it twice a day! I can't believe it uses that much water. So I know it's super dry in here. I have started boiled water on the stove and not turning on the fan. She just recently started this itching so I'm pretty sure it's just the dry air, but I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks!