Cat Spraying: PLEASE HELP!

brownieluv

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have a cat we adopted from a shelter in October and he has been doing this 'spraying' that is getting annoying. He is about 2 years old and was neutered when we got him.

The pattern is this: My husband gets home from work and plays with the cat, then goes to do something else and the cat then pees on the floor.

When I (the wife) gets home first on other days, I play with the cat and do whatever and he doesn't do this peeing on the floor when I go to do other things.

What's going on here!?!? We first tried to remedy it by cleaning out his litter box more often...and that still could be the problem, however, our pattern now is to scoop the poop out as soon as we see it then change it all out about 2 times a week.

Is it possible he's so picky he won't go into a litter box that has pee in it? Or is there some male dominance thing going on with my husband? Fate could have it that I only get home earlier than my husband on the days the litter is newly changed, thus my not seeing this pattern.

PLEASE HELP! We don't want to get rid of the little guy but we don't know what to do to stop this behavior!

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd first recommend a trip to the vet to rule out a urinary tract infection and any other health issues. If nothing is wrong health wise, then I'd suggest maybe trying adding a second litter box. I have a few cats that don't like to pee and poop in the same box, regardless of how clean it is.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bnwalker2

I'd first recommend a trip to the vet to rule out a urinary tract infection and any other health issues. If nothing is wrong health wise, then I'd suggest maybe trying adding a second litter box. I have a few cats that don't like to pee and poop in the same box, regardless of how clean it is.
Try these two suggestions first. Is he going in the same place? If so can you put a toy or a bowl of food there instead?

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is not a natural thing for a cat to pee out in the open like that. They want to hide it beause of the scent. So I would take him into the vet ASAP. Peeing outside the box is a way for him to alert you something is not right.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brownieluv

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do recall that when we first had gotten him in October, we had two litter boxes setup...which was completely random and I also remember that he used both of the litters too but then I got rid of one.

This behavior of random peeing seems to occur about once every 2 weeks...sometimes he would pee in our bathtub, other times on the bathroom carpet, another time on his scratch-pad and another time on the living room couch.

The peeing in the bathtub started pretty early on and we have since closed the bathroom doors so he doesn't go in there but sometimes I wonder if his litter box used to be in a bathroom (where he came from) or if he's upset for some other reason. Like he came from a house with a lot of cats and now he is the only one...and we also just had him de-clawed last Friday, so if he had any infection wouldn't they have found that? Or not necessarily? He has been on antibiotics since then.

His last episode was yesterday and prior to that it had been probably about 2 weeks or so.

Another thing is that I have his food about 7 feet from his litter box...is that too close? Like should the food be somewhere completely different?

Thank you so much for the suggestions!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is there any reason you wouldnt take him to be checked by a vet? If he has a UTI, they are painful to have and cats do not show thier pain, they hide it.

Cats do not just randomly pee in diferent areas. He really needs to be seen by a vet.

brownieluv

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, it's a good idea to go rule out anything medical.

I'm going to call the vet today!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad you're getting him to the vet. It could well be a UTI or bladder infection. Because of it's sporadic nature, it could also be that he's got crystals growing in his bladder, and from time to time they cause pain, but not every time he goes. A change in diet will help this problem, and the vet will be able to identify it through taking a urine sample.

However, I would have a second litter box in the house. The rule of thumb is that you should have one more box than you have kitties.

Also, cats will stop using the box when they associate pain with it. Since you just had your kitty declawed, you may experience problems while his feet heal: http://www.straypetadvocacy.org/html/declaw_detoe.html

Any place he's peed that is carpet or not a hard surface MUST be treated with an enzyme cleaner. This is the only way to eliminate the smell to your kitty's nose. Nature's Miracle is an example - it is available at most supermarkets or pet stores.

Also, I'd suggest getting a black light and going through the house at night to identify any place else he may have gone to the bathroom - just in case (any orange splotch that shows up is urine).

Sending vibes to your kitty that he heals well from the surgery and will not develop further litter box problems because of the declaw.

Laurie

brownieluv

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank You! I have an appointment for him at the vet this coming Monday and I also put out another litter box in one of the bathrooms.

Sometimes I do worry that he is in pain because he'll just sit there like he's mad or ouchy (I can never tell) and that has been going on for as long as we've had him.

Do cats have yeast issues like humans do? Like when humans take antibiotics they should eat yogurt...should something similar be done for cats/animals?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's a good question, and one to ask the vet. We've never done anything like that for our kitties when we've given them antibiotics.

I'm glad you're getting him to the vet. In particular, I'd take a stool sample, and I'd ask the vet to get a urine sample (hopefully his bladder will be full enough). Otherwise, you may want to consider leaving him at the vet until he pees.
If it is crystals, the only way to figure it out is the urine sample. Also, if it's just crystals, and not a UTI, he won't need meds, he'll need a new diet.

Laurie

suni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BrownieLuv

Like he came from a house with a lot of cats and now he is the only one...
Maybe he needs a friend! He maybe is bored when he s alone at home? Have you ever thought about a 2nd cat?

Originally Posted by BrownieLuv

and we also just had him de-clawed last Friday,
I´m very happy that declawing is forbidden in Austria....