Help needed

emma.p

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 2 cats. One adult who turned 3 years old in July and a kitten who was born June 27th. I think I may have made a huge mistake. The 3 year old was the only cat until the kitten was brought home.

It's been almost 4 months since the kitten has been with us and the 3 year old does not seem to be adjusting. He spends most of his time under my bed, hiding from the kitten.

He used to sleep with me and be a very zany boy but now he is withdrawn and very stand offish.

I adopted the kitten from my vet and called them today for advice or the name of a good cat therapist and got the reply, "You can bring him back."

Huh? Bring him back? He's not a sweater in the wrong color. He's a kitten (a semi annoying one) and a member of our family.

Can anyone help? I hate that my oldest boy is constantly hiding and appears to be miserable.

Both cats are in great health. Both had throrough vets exams in the last 4 months so neither or sick. I just don't know what to do...

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried to take your three year old in the bedroom with you and shut the door at night so he knows he special also? Mine got it stuck in his thick skull that I was replacing him and bailed on me at nightime and I had to PROVE myself... LOL

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!

Is the 3 year old fixed?
Is the kitten fixed? (Some vets won't spay/neuter until 6 months)
Did you do a proper introduction....going slowly over a few weeks?
Have you tried feliway? (If you've heard of it)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emma.p

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Welcome to TCS!

Is the 3 year old fixed?
Is the kitten fixed? (Some vets won't spay/neuter until 6 months)
Did you do a proper introduction....going slowly over a few weeks?
Have you tried feliway? (If you've heard of it)
3 year old is fixed, kitten is scheduled to be fixed in the next month. Introduction took about a week and I got the little feliway plug in. Le sigh. Still a no go.

Originally Posted by glitch

Have you tried to take your three year old in the bedroom with you and shut the door at night so he knows he special also? Mine got it stuck in his thick skull that I was replacing him and bailed on me at nightime and I had to PROVE myself... LOL
A friend suggested this same thing but...the kitten is umm...how do I put this nicely...insane? He has a fit when I take a shower if the door is closed. He howls and throws his little body against the door until I either come out or he's too exhausted to move. If I take a bath he tries to get into the bath tub with me.
So I dont know if its possible to close a door on him.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hmmm.....I'm trying to think up another suggestion. What about....trying to tire the kitten out some by playing interactively(like using a wand toy) for 15-30 minutes 2x a day?

Maybe then he'd be less annoying....sleep more, be more tired & your older kitty could come out more?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emma.p

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update...

I seperated the kitten and the cat. I made sure he had all his favorite toys. 3 year old came from underneath the bed. The kitten yowled the entire time and as soon as I let the kitten out he started right in on the 3 year old. Le sigh.

I'll try to play with him until he's exhausted.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ling was a little over a year when we got Charlie - took her almost a year to really accept him but she still would rather play with the dog then Charlie - that's why Charlie needs a baby brother