Difficult to clip nails

elliotndory

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there. So, we're having trouble clipping Elliot's nails. She doesn't hiss or bite or scratch, but wiggles like hell to get away, so that I can't trim them. They're getting pretty long and sharp...

I used to be able to catch her while she was napping, but she's caught on to that scheme, and wakes up instantly now and runs away.

I want to take her to a groomer at Petco or something and see if they can do it, but I'm worried they'll tell me she is too difficult and can't do it. And getting her in the carrier is a whole other can of worms, although I've gotten pretty good at getting her in.

Any ideas?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We've had some really difficult cats - on occassion we'd take them to the vet to get their nails clipped.

But the way we "trained" our kitties to have their nails clipped was like you - while they were napping. But we'd only do one nail at a time, we wouldn't try to do more.

Can you get the one nail done? We just did it one nail at a time, one day at a time - and lavished with treats after that one nail.

After a couple of weeks or months - depends upon your cat - you should be able to do 2, then three. Unfortunately, I don't remember how long it was before we could hold them and do all of them. It was hold them and do one paw at first. I think it was like two years before they stopped struggling altogether and just let us do it - and enjoy the treats afterwards.

Good luck!

Laurie

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, what LDG said. I do the nails on my shelter kitties ... I don't want it to be a miserable experience for them, so if they're really fighting I let them go and try again later and praise and treat for good behavior (holding still). Use good clippers, too. The scissor kind works best.

angelom3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know this is an old thread but....

I'm having the same problem cutting Lois's nails.
Now when you wait for them to nap... whats the best/safest way to grab her?

Grab her at the neck/shoulders and then position her to cut nails?
Or pounce on her in a good position?

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maia also squirms and growls sometimes trimming her nails. I find it best to do it when she is a peaceful affectionate state, then I get in atleast a couple of nails if not sometimes both paws. The weird thing is I never have a problem clipping her back paws! I would think it would cause more stress or displeasure if you sneak up on them, but if they come to you and are looking for attention, then why not sneak a nail trimming in to!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is gonna sound off the wall, but this is what my vet tech does...

Try a harness (like you want to go for a walk). Sometimes cats will become temporarily "paralyzed" when you put a harness on them. They will refuse to get to their feet, and you can clip their nails. Honest!

angelom3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I might have to try the harness trick.
The thing with Lois is she is a skiddish cat even after having her for 2 months. She comes to me on her terms... she'll even run away sometimes mid-petting her because she thinks I'll pick her up or maybe hurt her, I guess.
Off topic but I don't think her previous owners abused her... I met them, very nice, clean house etc... but they did have a 2yr old, so I'm guessing the child might of made Lois this way

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AngeloM3

I might have to try the harness trick.
The thing with Lois is she is a skiddish cat even after having her for 2 months. She comes to me on her terms... she'll even run away sometimes mid-petting her because she thinks I'll pick her up or maybe hurt her, I guess.
Off topic but I don't think her previous owners abused her... I met them, very nice, clean house etc... but they did have a 2yr old, so I'm guessing the child might of made Lois this way.
Maybe...but some cats just don't like being picked up. I've got 5 cats and really none of them likes being picked up and cuddled.
I've got 2 that freak out, and 3 that take if for a few minutes...

angelom3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Maybe...but some cats just don't like being picked up. I've got 5 cats and really none of them likes being picked up and cuddled.
I've got 2 that freak out, and 3 that take if for a few minutes...
Yah I'm not trying to change her... if she wants to be an independent cat and do things on her own terms, thats fine with me. Just makes things difficult sometimes... like clipping nails.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is easy, if the kitty is okay about nails but is squirmy, wrap kitty in a towel, make sure it is wrapped tight (but not too tight), and then get out each foot as you need them and put foot back when done. That way kitty is confined in a way, warm, yet comfortable. Sit kitty on your lap, with lots of light. Praise kitty and give treats. Works for me at least

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO when you all have diffiicult cats, its better to use 2 people if possible - one to hold tight, one to trim nails.

I just did my future daughter in law's cat's nails. They are too afraid of doing her. Her nails were like daggers. All I did (she was a bit sleepy) was to put her on my lap (back to my belly) and wrap one arm around her tight, the other had the clippers.

I just took one foot and held it tight and still and trimmed the nails. My DIL says "oh I know you can do her nails in 5 seconds"....

She gave me a hard time on the back ones by the time she really woke up. So I held her still, stopped for a few seconds, then did the back. I showed my DIL how to "scruff" her to keep still which works well on difficult cats.

You can try wrapping the cat up in a towel and doing one foot at a time - less squirming that way.

Trick is to clip nails at least once a week and handle the feet/toes without clippers in the meantime.