snoring?

blondrebel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know if its normal for a cat to snore? I have heard dogs snore, but never cats. Callie was asleep on my monitor again as usual and she is snoring like crazy.

callycalico

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know if it's normal, but Cally has snored before for a few days and then stopped...and she's completely fine.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^ Being a little (or more) overweight seems to contribute to snoring, just like it can in people. Allergies, colds, or anything that can make a cat have a slightly stuffy nose will too.

My 5 year old Sho stopped snoring as much after losing some weight.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mattie snores sometimes, but she has some Persian in her so her face is a little smushed. She weighs 9 lbs.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's interesting that your cats do better after losing weight - if you know anything about sleep apnea, the same thing happens to people, and the snoring is just a symptom of a serious problem (the apnea) which can lead to cardiac problems and strokes. Do your cats a favor and help them slim down!

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Several of my kitties snore, but none of them are overweight. They don't snore really loudly but it's enough to hear and they only do it once in awhile.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cindy snores, and she's definitely not overweight. Swanie, who is overweight, doesn't snore.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is not necessary to be overweight to have apnea, though not all snorers have it either.

mia's mommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is it snoring or purring I've never heard Mia snore and she's a lil round. lol. My boyfriend snores because he has nasal problems and Mia sounds nothing like him. It just sounds like she is purring in her sleep and is that normal?

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mia's Mommy

Is it snoring or purring I've never heard Mia snore and she's a lil round. lol. My boyfriend snores because he has nasal problems and Mia sounds nothing like him. It just sounds like she is purring in her sleep and is that normal?
My kitties purr in their sleep too, especially Captain Squishy.