Back To Middle Earth

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Ooh i'll have to tell Tristan, he's a huge LoTR fan. I frankly couldn't sit there for 100000 hours and watch it lol, but i might watch the Hobbit

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm over the moon about this news!!! He did such a phenomenal job with LoTR that a new Producer would not have done "The Hobbit" justice. His vision of Middle Earth is so in tune with Tolkien, that I don't believe anyone else could pull it off like Peter Jackson has.

I'm glad that The Hobbit will be 2 movies. The book was written as a children's novel and as such so much was left out. I'm sure he will be taking licensed liberty to fill in many scenes such as the time in Rivendel with Elrond, the White Council that Gandalf attended and the war to flush Sauron out of Dol Guldur. There is so much that took place that wasn't expanded on in the book.

Aragorn was in Rivendel at the time, as was Arwen. Neither of which were even mentioned in The Hobbit. Also Legolas with the elves. I hope they all resign to reprise their roles!

OMG!!! I am on the edge of my seat!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would like to see more movies concerning Tolkien's world after this.

The Silmarillion is too complex for a movie but there are parts of it that could be great on the big screen. The story of Beren and Luthien, Turin, The Fall of Gondolin, etc.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes another movie I can see by myself.

Perhaps you felt this way too Bryan: B couldn't sit through the first of the trilogy, then after we started dating he "tried" to sit watch the second one, but left within 5 minutes, basically saying they butchered the story.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Yes another movie I can see by myself.

Perhaps you felt this way too Bryan: B couldn't sit through the first of the trilogy, then after we started dating he "tried" to sit watch the second one, but left within 5 minutes, basically saying they butchered the story.
I won't say that Jackson butchered the story but there were important details left out and scenes that weren't right as well as parts added that were never in the story or appendices. Gandalf confronted the Witch King when the gates of Minas Tirith were broken. He also stood his ground without fear. There were no elves at Helm's Deep! There were also a few characters in the book that weren't done justice in the films. PJ made Gimli nothing more than comic relief. Denethor and Faramir were nobler than they were protrayed on screen. The two that I think he got right were Saruman and Gandalf but that may have been due to the incredible talent of Ian McKellen and Christopher Lee. They could have slapped a giant "S" on Legolas chest and changed his name to Super Elf.

I enjoyed the movies for what they were and still watch them but the purist in me thinks they could have better than they were.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Essayons89

They could have slapped a giant "S" on Legolas chest and changed his name to Super Elf.
Yes, Legolas was suppose to be more bad-:censored: than how he was portrayed in the movies.

The key stories that were left out is what disgusted B. I.e. from the first set: Tom - the musical guy in the forest. Arwen had too much of a role, and that Farier and Ewin were suppose to be married to rule for man.

There were several others, but I stopped listening. I tried to argue that if PJ did keep that essential stuff, but cut out the rest because of the length. That's didn't stop anything...how can you argue with someone who has read the book for 24 years?

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I would like to see more movies concerning Tolkien's world after this.

The Silmarillion is too complex for a movie but there are parts of it that could be great on the big screen. The story of Beren and Luthien, Turin, The Fall of Gondolin, etc.
I agree as well.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol hmm, this is the third time i have seen such a story.
to many people owne the rights to the hobbit. SO unless everyone got happy with there share.

over all i was happy with the lotr movies. They did a good job in many ways. I hated the story changes, there was no need for those. Aslo the way they changed the dwarf(that one really made me mad). i would stil give them A for effort.

The Silmarillion, reads more like your history book in high school.
lol almost each chapter coule be a movie, but with lots of gussing really.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I'm over the moon about this news!!! He did such a phenomenal job with LoTR that a new Producer would not have done "The Hobbit" justice. His vision of Middle Earth is so in tune with Tolkien, that I don't believe anyone else could pull it off like Peter Jackson has.

I'm glad that The Hobbit will be 2 movies. The book was written as a children's novel and as such so much was left out. I'm sure he will be taking licensed liberty to fill in many scenes such as the time in Rivendel with Elrond, the White Council that Gandalf attended and the war to flush Sauron out of Dol Guldur. There is so much that took place that wasn't expanded on in the book.

Aragorn was in Rivendel at the time, as was Arwen. Neither of which were even mentioned in The Hobbit. Also Legolas with the elves. I hope they all resign to reprise their roles!

OMG!!! I am on the edge of my seat!
Have you been reading the appendices at the end of The Return of the King again?
To be honest, the appendices are one of my favorite sections of the book. There's a lot of good stuff in them that isn't mentioned in the main story, including a time line.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just watched all 3 of those movies, with my daughter, for the third time! We absolutely love those movies! And were just talking about how we would love to watch The Hobbit. I can't wait! I would love to read the books.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I loved the movies and look forward to the Hobbitt.

Generally, I MUCH prefer to read a good book over watching a movie and most of the times, I hate movies made out of my favorite books. I have to say though, I found LOTR a bit dull reading. The story was wonderful, just not the writing style I like to read.

I would have liked to have seen more of the scenes in the movie, but there is only so much time to fill after all.

quill_luv

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OMIGOD!!!! YAAAAAAYYY!!!

The Hobbit, can't wait! I absolutely LOVE LOTR too, i've read and seen the movies infinite times

I love the animated movie of The Hobbit, I wish I could find it.

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

There were no elves at Helm's Deep!
They could have slapped a giant "S" on Legolas chest and changed his name to Super Elf.
So true about Helms Deep, poor Haldir.
And as for Legolas, I bet he wore Super Underpants!

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

over all i was happy with the lotr movies. They did a good job in many ways. I hated the story changes, there was no need for those. Aslo the way they changed the dwarf(that one really made me mad). i would stil give them A for effort.
I disagree, somewhat.

In the books, Arwen just basically pops up at the end to marry Aragorn; all of their backstory is in the "Tale of Arwen & Aragorn" in the Appendices. Jackson basically wove the "Tale" into LOTR. His giving Glorfindel's role to Arwen eliminated one minor character. Jackson did film the relationship between Eowyn and Faramir, but he had to cut that part out for the theatrical release. I've not seen it, but I'm told that it was restored in the Director's Cut.

I do understand why people don't like the idea of the Elves coming to Helms' Deep, but that was Jackson's way of showing that ALL the Free Peoples of Middle Earth were fighting against Sauron. In the book, Gandalf talks at the end of the battles at Lorien, in Mirkwood, and at the Lonely Mountain, but film is a visual medium---Jackson had to show us, rather than tell us.

I agree that the use of Gimli as comic relief was overdone.

While I'm sorry to have lost Tom Bombadil, I understand why he was cut out. The story is long and complex enough, and the Bombadil episode doesn't really add much to it.

What I am sorry to have lost is the Scouring of the Shire. I believe that it was important to show how much Merry and Pippin had grown up during their adventures. The Shire had been, essentially, a Protectorate before, and now the Hobbits were ready to manage their own affairs, and M&P, as the heirs of the two most important Hobbit families, were in an excellent position to manage the transition--as they proved when they dealt with the ruffians.

In short, Jackson had to make changes to the story as presented on the screen. A mere transcription of the books would not have worked because film and prose are two very different arts.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Have you been reading the appendices at the end of The Return of the King again?
To be honest, the appendices are one of my favorite sections of the book. There's a lot of good stuff in them that isn't mentioned in the main story, including a time line.
That and the HoME volumes.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zane's Pal

What I am sorry to have lost is the Scouring of the Shire. I believe that it was important to show how much Merry and Pippin had grown up during their adventures. The Shire had been, essentially, a Protectorate before, and now the Hobbits were ready to manage their own affairs, and M&P, as the heirs of the two most important Hobbit families, were in an excellent position to manage the transition--as they proved when they dealt with the ruffians.
I was very disappointed that this part wasn't in the movie.

Originally Posted by Zane's Pal

That and the HoME volumes.
Indeed. I'm close to finishing my collection. The History of The Lord of the Rings was a fun read. It was interesting to see all of the revisions the story and characters went through as it developed.