Holy Crow, my cat fetches

red scathach

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am trying to study for exams so I am being a bad kitty mommy and trying to get my kitty Min to give me some peace and to get off my books so I throw her one of her fuzzy mice and she runs to get it and to my surprise... she picks it up in her mouth, hops on the bed and drops it on my book I was reading! Sorry I am a little excited I have never had a cat that fetches... Is this more common in cats then I thought? Min is scaring me at how smart she is, she will try to move pillows with her teeth so she can sit on them more comfortably and she has figure out how to turn the water faucet on and drinks water from it... unfortunately she isn't kind enough to turn the water back off!... What next? Am I going to catch her using the toilet
(oh we can only dream right?) I never had a cat do tricks before lol...Does anyone else have a cat that fetches?

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat, Namine, fetches sometimes. I always say she has my dog's soul in her. We had to have my dog put to sleep last May, and she was my baby .. And when we got Namine in August, I was finding she has many of the same qualities my dog had. She will fetch her toy, and drop it a few feet away from me, just like me dog would do. She will always follow me into a room, and if i leave, she'll follow me into the next room. And she sleeps with me, on my pillow, every night. My dog slept with me every night, just not on my pillow lol It just makes me feel a lil better thinking my dog is still with me.

Anyways, back to the topic, Namine will fetch sometimes. But Kairi will not. She'll chase it after I throw it, but then leave it alone.

judi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Red Scathach

I am trying to study for exams so I am being a bad kitty mommy and trying to get my kitty Min to give me some peace and to get off my books so I throw her one of her fuzzy mice and she runs to get it and to my surprise... she picks it up in her mouth, hops on the bed and drops it on my book I was reading! Sorry I am a little excited I have never had a cat that fetches... Is this more common in cats then I thought? Min is scaring me at how smart she is, she will try to move pillows with her teeth so she can sit on them more comfortably and she has figure out how to turn the water faucet on and drinks water from it... unfortunately she isn't kind enough to turn the water back off!... What next? Am I going to catch her using the toilet
(oh we can only dream right?) I never had a cat do tricks before lol...Does anyone else have a cat that fetches?
Maybe she thinks she is a Retriever!

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stoli fetches constantly. He will tell me when he wants a toy too, by going over to the door that his toys are behind and paw at the door. He also opens cabinet doors....let me rephrase that, he USED to open the doors. Other members will tell you I had a heck of a time trying to find something to make him stop. I am now using TotLocks successfully.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sofia loves to play fetch. Her favorite toy is the dog's tennis ball. I haven't got a clue how she manages to fit it in her mouth, but she does!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mooch looooooves to play fetch! I've been trying to get a good video of her doing it lately. If I ignore her, she sits and my feet and meows and meows and mows and just gives me heck!
But I love it. She's so cute about it! I can sike her out ten times in a row and she still goes for it!
Mean Meowmie!

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
a roommate in college had a cat that would fetch, haha good times.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A Rretriever? Nah. Butzie is a "mutt" who comes when I call. Really, and not just when I say "nummies." I call her, pat my tush a few times, and she comes running. It is a good thing that it is my padded tush and she is cooperative or I might be black and blue on another part of my body.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
heyu i taught to play fetch.
Eazy always done it, to the point of your arm feels like falling off soemtimes, he has a mouse and small ball, and bigger one that he uses haha.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat fetches and I have known others that do too. It is cute

creativgirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Peaches, the calico we had when I was growing up, used to fetch, but not consistently. Sometimes she would retrieve, and other times she would run completely in the other direction from where you threw her toy!
Her favorite toys to fetch were milk jug rings and my dad's pipe cleaners.

<sigh> I miss her . . . she was such a sweetheart and so funny to watch!

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a cat play a game kinda like that! Tissy would get the lid to your pop bottle and run off with it, never to be seen again....UNTIL 530 in the am, Jake would be putting his shoes on & "YOUCH!!!
CAT!!!!" This would go on every morning!

Oh godd, it was so funny! Darn I miss her!!

boris

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat fetches, but he only does that for my husband, and only with a fuzzy toy ball he really likes. With me, he just stares at me throwing the ball blankly, and then grabs the feather wand with his mouth and drags in onto the couch ("no mommy, you only get to play with this one").

This is the same cat who keeps trying to open the cabinet on top of my toilet tank because he knows that TP is inside (unlike most of the other cabinets, putting up a lock on that location just isn't feasible), and who obviously understands it is wrong, because just hearing me say "Boris? You better not be where I think you are!" sends him darting out of there like he's seen a ghost.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both of mine play fetch - Radar is a Cornish Rex cross, and Sonic is an Oriental Shorthair - both breeds known for their love of retrieving!

Sonic will often appear with some toy that hasn't been seen for months, but he's managed to find it under the fridge or wherever, and drop it right in my lap and wait for me to throw it

It's not that uncommon, it tends to be the more high-energy and people-oriented breeds that take to it easily, as they always seek to involve their beloved humans in their running and jumping games, so it comes naturally to them. The same of course applies to cats of no particular pedigree who have that sort of outlook on life

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

red scathach

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ok this is funny now my kitty Nymeria is mimicing Min and is beginning to fletch as well. My older boy Miles is looking at the kittens like he is absolutely disgusted lol, I am sure he is thinking "What is wrong with you two, your cats the big people are suppose to bring things to you not the other way around!" I sure got lucky with these sweet kittens, though they are a handful they are really impressing me. I am just so not used to kitties allowing themselves to do little tricks for humans. Min is learning how to give hi-fives with her paw now on command
she is so adorable *squeals*