What would you do?

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
so i got a call today from a new kitten owner, who took their kitty home a month ago. they informed me, that 3 days after kitten came home the girlfriend got ringworm sores appearing on her. said they didnt think anything of it.

I guess its gotten worse, and now the kitten is showing signs of it. They say she must have had it when she left here.

Now heres a few things I do not understand.

1) she went to our vet a few days before she left and had a clean bill.

2)doesnt ring worm have an incubation period?

I was informed they have spent $150 in vet bills, and clsoe to that or more on their own medical bills. now if i have any obligation to the vet bill, I certainly dont feel I have any to their bills, is that wrong in thinking?

I dont think I Have any to the vet bill either, but I am asking some advice.

They did also inform me that they did not, take the kitten to the vet within 3 days of bringing her home. which is clearly stated in my contract.

So do I have any obligation? They also didnt have the offical results from the vet yet on if it was ring worm on the cat.

And I KNOW that no one in our house has it. I have also checked in with the other kitten owners who took kittens home. and none of them have it either.

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you said the DIDNT take the kitten in as stated was MANDATORY in the contract?

if so, then they voided your contract, and you have no futher obglitation, and can take the kitten back.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Liza24

if so, then they voided your contract, and you have no futher obglitation, and can take the kitten back.
that is what I was thinking. I don't think you are liable, they ahve no proof that your kitten was the cause, she may have picked it up some where else

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thanks, yes i spoke with my doc about where it could come from as well, he said ringworm can be picked up even in the soil.

and he stated if no one or no animal else in our house has it, its very unlikely it came from us.

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would say, if they did not follow your contract and take the kitten to the vet within the three day period, then you have no obligation. I am sorry this has happened to you and hope it all works out. Some people are tough to deal with.

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by My cat Mellow

hmm i wonder what the GF does for a job, if she is contact with other animals or children she could have got it first,

as for if your obligated I have no idea sorry

Hope you get it sorted
I agree with this as well, it is weird that the gf got it first.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the others, but is this a business for you? From a business point of view, will this hurt you in the longrun? Is there a way to compromoise, or somehow make this person happy without it costing you money?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Personally I would ask for all the vet and dr copys .. I would IMAGINE it indeed DID NOT come from your house and possibley the GF was asked ??? s by her dr or the vet that may show where it did come from...

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a breeder, I dont know if i Call it buisness, more hobby, since i dont make money. But i do not think this would hurt me. I have Several other happy kitten owners. I am not unsympathetic to them. but I have a hard time thinking it came from my cattery when no one else has it. and the kitten got a clean bill of health from my vet, which has been faxed to their vet.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Personally I would ask for all the vet and dr copys .. I would IMAGINE it indeed DID NOT come from your house and possibley the GF was asked ??? s by her dr or the vet that may show where it did come from...
I have asked for vet copies. that was when they admited they didnt take her in within 3 days, and that the results for the test on the kitten werent even done yet.

Blarg.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
an update from my end I took ALL of my cats in again today, and thats a project let me tell you.

the vet said not one of them showed any outward signs of Ringworm. Nil Nada none. but for good measure i had him take hair folicals off the long hairs. I wanna cover myself.

But even more than before I am convinced it didnt come from us.

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm confused by their logic. If the girlfriend developed the ringworm before the kitten did, wouldn't it make more sense that the kitten caught the ringworm from the girlfriend?

shorty14788

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think girlfriend could have had it first... (you can get ringworm from gyms, tanning beds, etc) and gave it to the kitten... not the other way around... I dont think you should have to pay a thing for it!

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NinaCaliente

I'm confused by their logic. If the girlfriend developed the ringworm before the kitten did, wouldn't it make more sense that the kitten caught the ringworm from the girlfriend?
That's exactly what my first thought was too. It's unlogical that the kitten would have given the girlfriend ringworm if the girlfriend had it first. (FYI - she could have picked it up anywhere -- the gym, shopping, etc. etc. etc.).

Also, if the owner didn't abide by your contract (i.e. taking kitten to vet in alloted time), then the contract is null and void. Presumably the owner read the contract before taking the kitten home. As such, the owner was responsible for making the trip to the vet. Since the owner didn't do this, then you should not be responsible for any costs.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She could have picked up ringworm anywhere, spores live in the soil, other animals, other people, things that other animals or people have been leaning on...

I would think it's highly unlikely that your cats could be carrying ringworm spores in their fur without a single one of them (or you) showing symptoms at some point. I think you've done the responsible thing by getting your cats checked out, and I would ask the vet for a copy of the test results and a letter stating that your cats do not have ringworm, and send it to them.

I can sort of see what's happened here - that woman has gone to the doctor about a rash, the doctor has diagnosed ringworm and asked the fairly obvious question 'have you been in contact with any animals, any new pets in the house?', 2+2 are put together and make 5, especially since the kitten now has it. They may not be being deliberately awkward, it's possible that they have been led in this direction of thought by the doctor - you can see how that could happen. If that is the case, once you provide proof that it didn't come from your cats, I'd have thought they will accept that graciously - hopefully

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hopefully. *LOL*

I havent heard another word from them since I had the vet records sent to their vet. And requested to see what their vet has stated. So maybe thats the end of it.

Either way, my contract does state that the one year health guarentee doesnt include fleas, paraites and fungus since they can be picked up in their home. Ringworm is of course a fungus. Now if somehow it had come from here, and was missed by me and my vet I would feel more obligated of course, because I want to make sure I send healthy kittens. But him saying the girlfriend showed signs first.. and waiting 1 month to contact me... and NONE of my cats having it.. um yeah.

the joys of kitten selling.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Liza24

i agree. she just is looking for money. it would never occur to me to request the breeder pay for the vet bills unless i had done everything i was supposed to, & could PROVE that the kitten was sick when i got it.
i wouldn't request help w/my doctor bills unless, again, i could PROVE that i contracted the disease from the kitten, & that it CAME w/the disease.
Firefox gave me a bacterial skin infection that she also had when i brought her in. i count myself lucky none of the other cats got it [probably because they were keeping their distance, & i was loving on her!]

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As a breeder I would take a sibling or the mother of the cat to the vet for a test for ringworm. If the cat tests negative I wouldn't pay a cent for the treatment. If the cat tests positive I'd pay every vet bill they have associated with the ringworm.

jenniferd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've seen breeders put into a contract that they are not responsible for vet bills, no matter what.
Sounds like the owners already did not follow your contract if they did not take the kitten to the vet within three days.
I don't think you are responsible for any of their vet bills.