Stray Kitty Help

brownieluv

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

One of my neighbors has had a kitty cat coming to her door at night and talking to her alot. So she started feeding it and it kept coming at various times throughout the day...morning, noon, and night. I had a trap to try to catch it, so we put my trap out and caught it. Then she took it into her place but she cannot keep the cat. This cat is absolutely a total lover boy. He purrs constantly, follows us around wherever we go, and is quite the talker (which most likely is learned behavior, right?). One of the women took him to the vet and found out it is an unaltered male which I find to be amazing just based on his behavior. He rolls over for belly rubs and his fur is completely puffy like an indoor cat. I would say the cat is about 3-4 years old.

Anyways, I have a new kitty that just got declawed so I do not want these two cats in the same house...actually this new one will stay in the garage until another arrangement can be made. At this time, no-where but the warden can take this little/well big guy so that's why I'm taking him...they'll put him to sleep after a week or so!

I will plan to get this cat to the vet ASAP to get him tested for everything and see what's going on but until then, what should I do to avoid giving my new kitty something that this cat may have? Like should I not even touch this cat and then my cat? Should I wear different clothes between the two??

Please help!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good for you for giving that sweet boy shelter
You're right on track - wash your hands & change your clothes, or take a nice warm bath or shower, if you've the luxury of the time. I hope that your local rescues pay for his neutering and shots! Please keep us updated. Susan

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it possible that he is not a stray but someone's outdoor cat? Have you put up notices to see if he has an owner before you invest time, money and energy in vet bills, rehoming, etc?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsknowme

Good for you for giving that sweet boy shelter
You're right on track - wash your hands & change your clothes, or take a nice warm bath or shower, if you've the luxury of the time. I hope that your local rescues pay for his neutering and shots! Please keep us updated. Susan
How wonderful of you!

I agree with this - keep a change of clothes (including socks) inside the door from your garage to your house (or where ever you enter the house from the garage). Wash your hands, leave your shoes behind, and change the clothes. This should do the trick!

Laurie