Torties

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do all torties have attitudes? Because little miss Cloe does. Last night Tavia was trying to lay down and Cloe decided to attack her tail well when Tavia bopped her for it Cloe bopped her back and they lay on the bed swatting at each other until they finally nailed my b/f and he made them get off the bed. And then she came back and decided to attack his feet. But I figured out why he has been teasing her with his feet. He's as bad as them its like having a third child.
He was sitting with Cloe and petting her and he told her daddy was going to have to get her another sissy.
And then he told her that she was making him go soft.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lucky has major "tortitude" she loves to walk on the top of the sofa and smack people for no reason, she doesn't want to be petted, you could lose an arm

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh now that is one little thing about Cloe she demands petting she has to be petted no matter what she is one of the most loving cats. So is Tavia but Tavia wants it on her terms and Cloe she wants petting all the time. And Salem my black cat at my dad's is the same way. He followed my dad's friends all the way out to their deer stands during hunting season they had to bring him back.
And if Cloe were outside she'd do the same. She also likes laying in the sink. And she has claimed my bed, couch, and chair as hers and she will get down long enough to allow us seat warmers to sit and then she expects us to hold her. And she will go to my b/f and lay down in his arms and want her belly rubbed and her ears and chin scratched. And she also thinks she has to be playing with her sissy at all times .

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
maybe so... i know Firefox certainly has her share of 'tortitude' & possibly Java's as well, since Java is one of the sweetest cats i've ever had.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The theory goes that because torties and calicos have different X chromosomes expressed in every cell, their brains are similarly mixed up, so that they tend to be more moody and indecisive than most cats.
Thus, tortitude!

I don't know whether anybody's ever surveyed cat personalities to try to find out whether the theory is true, though. There are certainly moody non-torties and completely sweet torties!

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Squee is a tortie and she definitely has the tortitude!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Callista

The theory goes that because torties and calicos have different X chromosomes expressed in every cell, their brains are similarly mixed up, so that they tend to be more moody and indecisive than most cats.
I think it's just female cat personality. Look at all the introduction problems/aggressive cat threads in the behavior section and you'll notice a good portion of them involve girl cats.

I've dealt with torties and calicos that were sweet and gentle, orange males that were unfriendly, and tabby girls that were complete terrors. Everyone has their own personality (or purr-sonality
), and judging a cat by fur color would be like believing that blonds really are dumb.

laurie314

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a beautiful Tortie! Torrie is her name..she is hilarous...she loves the washing machine..she will sit on it and wait for the water to rinse and drain out. She can open doors with her paws. She turns the knob! Torrie is very playful and yet the most loveable. I had her as a foster baby and reluctantly returned her to thehumane society to be adopted out. She was adopted and then they brought her back. allergies. I just by chance looked over at a cage that was out of place there and to my surprise there she was. I knew it was fate and I had to have her..so she came home with me right away. she was very sick with a URI and wheezing in her chest. She is all better now. I just love her so much. Here is a pic!!

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...Picture283.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...Picture091.jpg

one is as a kitten and the other is now!! got to add her to my signature!

rebochan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lorelei doesn't have much tortietude. However, she will randomly grab your hand while you're petting her and bite on it. I think that's more of a remnant of her kittenhood than a tortie thing though. She also starts yowling when she wants attention and doesn't feel like going to find you. I finally figured out that if I start making the same noise back to her, she comes over to investigate and so I technically win

As far as temperment, though, she only growls at Carter when he's trying to steal the food she's eating or when he's trying to be playful and she's not up for it.

nimbus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitten's mommy was a tortie and she was so sweet! She was very pushy about being petted, though. She would even knock Nimbus out of the way so she could get petted instead

-Kristen

creativgirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I think it's just female cat personality. Look at all the introduction problems/aggressive cat threads in the behavior section and you'll notice a good portion of them involve girl cats.

I've dealt with torties and calicos that were sweet and gentle, orange males that were unfriendly, and tabby girls that were complete terrors. Everyone has their own personality (or purr-sonality
), and judging a cat by fur color would be like believing that blonds really are dumb.
That's true -- I've met torties and calicos that had attitude (my friend's tortie Tess is one) and some that were really sweet (Peaches, the calico we had when I was growing up was one).

That said, I have two orange males whom I think are the sweetest cats in the world!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Much is a dilute calico and is demanding. When she wants on your lap, she gets on your lap.

Carly is a sweet tabby.

Lucy, the tortie, will whack Carly every time she walks by. She wants to be held and will growl the whole time. She whacks the nail clippers out of my hand when we're trimming her nails. She is moody and contrary and then wants major cuddles.

yuna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my tortie has SUCH an attitude. she does the thing where, she'll make this cute little cooing sound then jump into your lap waiting for you to pet her but the moment she has had enough she will turn around and BITE but not hard haha
she's actually becoming a huge problem for the vet, each time we bring her she becomes more and more difficult for them to handle the vet said it was typical of tortiseshells and calicos but at the most recent visit he referred to her as "the spawn of satan"

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Trout is the epitomy of tortitude I think...she will be on my lap purring away, and then turn and strike and bite.

If I try to direct her away from going into a closet, she will strike and bite my leg...

She is so sweet though at times its hard to beleive she is the same cat

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Y'know, with all the stories we get about your cat, I'm thinking maybe we should just re-name it "Troutitude"!