Feeding time

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was free feeding dry for a long time, but a few of the kitties were eating too much. So now I'm feeding measured amounts of dry twice a day, plus wet a couple times a week. But feeding time is not fun for me at all. I have a paper plate for each kitty and I measure the food out and put it on the plate. Then I set the plates down one at a time and rush around trying to get the right cat to the right plate. Of course, they all swarm over whichever plate they can get to first. Is there a way to teach them to wait their turn for their plate to be set down? With 13 cats I realize that's probably impossible, but I figure it's worth asking!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel your pain but I only have 5 to feed at once. I guess repetition is the key to where they eat. Most of them know where their dish goes, it's a matter of keeping my two fat boys from hovering over everyone else and stealing their food. Can you feed them in different rooms so the groups are smaller and easier to control?

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

I feel your pain but I only have 5 to feed at once. I guess repetition is the key to where they eat. Most of them know where their dish goes, it's a matter of keeping my two fat boys from hovering over everyone else and stealing their food. Can you feed them in different rooms so the groups are smaller and easier to control?
this kinda what I used to do, each cat had their own place, some were on the counter, some on the windowsill, some on the washing machine, some on the table, etc etc. It took awhile, but they got the idea. now I just put the food on paper plates, lay it on the floor and get out of the way

Nemesis has to have her own plate, there's always one
I also free feed dry, and while a couple of my kitties are a little hefty (I actually prefer them that way for various reasons) none are what I would call fat, they play a lot oand work it off I guess

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm really hoping that the kittens will calm down about feeding time as they get older. The adult cats are usually pretty good about waiting for their plate to be set down. It's just so hard to try and move seven kittens at one time! I'll try clearing off a shelf or two so that I can feed some away from the others.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a similar style of feeding but I put each cat in their own room and close them in. I usually separate them before I fix the food. With 13 you may not have enough space to give them each their own room but if you pair up a serious glutton with someone else who can defend their food you might be able to spread them out some. Besides, having them "pre-wrangled" as I like to call it helps me keep my sanity while I'm scooping food!