fat round belly?

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I noticed this since we have had Jack, he has a very round belly (not hard though). Any thoughts?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Round fat tummies can indicate worms. I'd schedule an appointment with the vet and have Jack checked out. Don't assume he has worms or the type - never use OTC wormers - always have a vet prescribe the proper medication.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mom2raven

He was wormed before I got him (so they said)
With some baby s they require up to three wormings from the vet

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree, take kitty back to the vet... the dr. can properly deworm kitty

ericss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats belly is the same, he has been wormed at least 3 times if not more. His belly actually got like this after all his dewormings. Now he just farts alot and poops out the most runny stools Ive seen.

Im at a loss at what to do.

Hopefully you have better luck than I do.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by EricSS

My cats belly is the same, he has been wormed at least 3 times if not more. His belly actually got like this after all his dewormings. Now he just farts alot and poops out the most runny stools Ive seen.

Im at a loss at what to do.

Hopefully you have better luck than I do.
Sounds like he still has worms. Was the de-worming done by a vet with RX wormers? If so, you should go back to them and let them know the deworming hasn't seemed to work. With any luck they won't charge you again.

Just for information - over-the-counter worm meds often don't do anything and can be dangerous to your cat if you don't know what type of worm you need to treat (i.e., heartworm, tapeworm, roundworm) so you are better to go to a vet for a diagnosis and treatment. You'll save yourself money (and your cat's health) in the long run.

s&k

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A fat round belly or "pot-bellied" appearance for a kitten could mean that he or she is not receiving sufficient digestible nutirents, this is also accompanied by frequent diarrhea. A good-quality growth/lactation-type diet should have the following: >80% digestibility, > 35% protein, > or = 17%fat <5% fiber 1.0-1.8% Calcium, .8-1.6% phosphorus, .3-.7% Sodium and <.12% Magnesium. This is for kittens only, which need more nutrients to parallel there fast growth rate.

Another reason could also be worms. If your kitten is exposed to the outdoors, other cats who have fleas or if there is even a single flea in the kitten's dwelling there is a risk for worms because those type of worms come from fleas.

boris

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One more thing. When a vet does routine de-worming for a kitten, those dewormers are actually for round worms, heart worms, and the like. Dewormers for tapeworms (which are parasitic worms carried by fleas - so if your kitten was exposed to fleas and ate the fleas while grooming, he might have some in his tummy) are a different kind, and will not be given to a kitten unless you or the vet suspects the kitten has tapeworms.

So here's how you find that out: look at the kitten's butt. If they have stuff stuck to it that looks like tiny grains of rice (gross), those are tapeworm eggs. This means that your pet needs to be treated for tapeworms, too. If your kitten was treated for fleas, do look for any telltale signs of tapeworms. They'd show up 1-2 weeks after an infestation is underway.