Anyone have any info on Bombay cats?

red scathach

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am not sure if this can be posted here (feel free to move the thread), but after bringing my kitten to the vet she said that I had the sweetest bombay kitten... I got her at a shelter so she could be anything, to me she just looks like a black domestic shorthair. But it peaked my interest, so does anyone know about the breed? Vet said something about the nose (not stubby but short) and eyes (they are not quite gold, more bronze or something) gave her away. Here's some pic's of our Min:

I don't care one way or another she is adorable! The vet just peaked my curiousity... been looking at pictures of Bombays online but some look like her and some look like persians went horribly wrong so I am not getting a good idea of what breed type looks like. Thanks for any help!

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry your cat is not a Bombay. Bombay's are very round cats. They do have short noses/muzzles. Bombay heads are round and so are their eyes. Your cat's head does not look round and neither do the eyes. Your cat is a beautiful black domestic shorthair.

Here is a link for the Bombay standard in CFA http://www.cfa.org/breeds/standards/bombay.html

link for profile with some pictures
http://www.cfa.org/breeds/profiles/bombay.html

and a link to the breed council if you want accurate information on the breed
http://www.bombaybc.org/

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bombays look more like an all black Burmese (American style) with a short round face and muzzle, very slick close laying coat, round ears, and copper penny eye color (best)

Looks more like a little black DSH - he/she may have Bombay in the background but that would be rare to find as its not a common breed and not one that backyard breeders are breeding.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

red scathach

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks all I can now correct my vet when we go back next week
Vet made me feel kinda dumb that I didn't seem to know what breed she was. I was pretty sure she was a DSH, which is my favorite type of kitty! Thanks again you all are great!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO very few vets really know the "breeds" of cats.....
My vet here in town never even saw a Cornish Rex or an Ocicat before. He might have known about the rex, but probably would not have known about the Oci - thinking it was just a spotted tabby DSH

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

My vet here in town never even saw a Cornish Rex or an Ocicat before.
I had to spell out Ocicat to my old vet when I got Demetri. Our new vet is a judge so she knows!

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I asked my vet about my tailless cat (i.e could it have been amputated as a young cat) and she admitted that I probably knew more about breeds than she did!!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sonic is on our vet's computer system as 'Blue self Siamese' because they'd never heard of Oriental Shorthair.

A lot of UK vets use a standardised database which comes with the more popular breeds programmed in, but there are a lot of gaps - asking around, it seems I'm not the only one to have had this problem!