Food

4blueyes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am trying to figure out what I should be feeding Hudson and Skylar (7months). I see alot of people on here feed wet food, something I was taught never to do unless the kitty was sick and needed extra nutrition... can't quite remember the reasoning on why not though... anyway, Hudson and Skylar came to me with a bag of Purina Kitten Chow, which I am pretty sure is bad because I helped my mom research her dog food and the dog and puppy chow were HORRIBLE. So I was thinking of going to the feed store my mom gets her dog food at to see if they had good kitty food too. I know the dog food types they had run along the lines of Merrick, Diamond and Diamond Naturals, Chicken Soup...., I know there's more but I'm drawing a blank. There's also a herbal store we looked at when researching with foods like California Naturals and Innova (sp?). Should I be looking for canned and dry food? How much should they eat of each... currently I'm just filling up thier bowl with the kitten chow every time it's empty...
Any help please?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A wet food diet is healthier for kitties. Unfortunately most vets know little to nothing about nutrition and so I take what they say with a grain of salt.

I changed our babies to a healthier diet, i.e., I feed 1/2 can Merrick for them to share in the morning and 1/2 can at dinner with 1/3-1/2 cup Orijen dry per day.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Canned is better ... the research is finally stating it to the vets

If you can afford it and kittys are willing wet would be best .... but most of us dont have ideal so a wet dry combo is good....

Premium foods ( the foods other than kitten chow) will be best .... I like grain free dry as long as you feed wet ....

$$$ wise diamond natural s and chicken soup at a feed store ..... both are good foods ...

axld

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 7 month ragdoll kitten which is of course quite plump. I went to the vet yesterday for his runny nose and she commented on his “fullnessâ€. I stayed on a dry diet because I thought it was better (more protein, less fat) but she suggested a mix of both (1/4 to ½ can of wet food a day and some dry food). In terms of specific brands, there are many quality options out there. Others might have advice on that but you might want to be careful when you switch brands my mixing it for a little while…

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by axld

I have a 7 month ragdoll kitten which is of course quite plump. I went to the vet yesterday for his runny nose and she commented on his “fullnessâ€. I stayed on a dry diet because I thought it was better (more protein, less fat) but she suggested a mix of both (1/4 to ½ can of wet food a day and some dry food). In terms of specific brands, there are many quality options out there. Others might have advice on that but you might want to be careful when you switch brands my mixing it for a little while…
Yes mix dry for 7-21 days wet usually is not an issue

robertm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Yes mix dry for 7-21 days wet usually is not an issue
Sorry for sort of hijacking this thread, but I've always wondered why it's usually not necessary to gradually do a changeover of canned food. Sharky, or anyone else with knowledge, could you please explain? Thanks!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by RobertM

Sorry for sort of hijacking this thread, but I've always wondered why it's usually not necessary to gradually do a changeover of canned food. Sharky, or anyone else with knowledge, could you please explain? Thanks!
canned is mostly water or broth so it seems to switch easier than the dry which is only 10 % on ave

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by RobertM

And depending on the cats, a gradual changeover isn't always necessary with dry food either. I've changed Bijou and Mika several times (dry) and had no issues with tummy or bowels with any of the changes. Am I blessed? Yes, in many ways.