diarrhea help.

ericss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I am new here.
My cat Mowgli is a 5 1/2 month old Bengal kitten.
Hes been through a lot in his short life.
He has had Diarrhea on and off, and he has had cataracts...

I got his cataracts taken care of already, only cost me over $3000 in vet bills so far =*(.

Now he has a diarrhea problem though.

He has been de-wormed over 3 times already. Each time they usually give him two different meds, one for worms and one for Giardia.

he actually only tested positive for roundworms and giardia once, and the other times only giardia.

Ive had him tested twice withing the last month and a half, and he hasnt tested positive for any parasites.

He used to be very skinny, possibly from the parasites, and now he is quite plump I would say. After his ribcage his stomach just bulges out. Like he is bloated or something. (Is this just what a normal fat cat is like? Ive never had a cat before)

Anyways, for at least the last month and 1/2 he has had soft stools, sometimes they are just 100% pure liquid, and boy do they smell rancid. I almost puke everytime I clean them up. He also like to dig a hole to the bottom of the litter box and deposit his liquid poop right on the bare litterbox floor. YUCK.

His poop is a little on the light side I would say, more yellow in it than there should be.

He was on Royal Canin baby cat dry food when I got him at 9weeks. I kept him on that and changed to Royal Canin dry Kitten when I went through the bag.
In thinking that the food might be causing this diarrhea I changed to Nutro Natural Choice dry kitten food, with not much difference in poop quality.

From there I tried the dry Innova EVO, which hes been on for about 1 1/2 - 2 weeks now. If anything this just made it worse.

Has anyone ever had a problem like this? What should I do, Im so lost.
The vets dont seem to be helping me, they just say, "Lets wait and see if he grows out of this".

Ive spent way more than I can afford on vets visits and operations already. Heck, the cat was enough for me to spend, I didnt think I was buying such a money drain, lol. I will continue to spend all the money it takes to help him though, I love him oh so much.

Any suggestions, support, or help are appreciated. Thanks!

Mowgli says "Please help me!
"

bootiggercisco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i have been giving boo live cultured yoghurt. Not sure if it will work yet, also the board has suggested canned pumpkin, not the pie filling, just a small teaspoon in the food once a day. Do a search on the boards and you will get ideas.

river

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

ericss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by river

I don't have much experience but to me it sounds like coccidia or TF. What're you feeding them? I've heard bengals do best on a raw food diet. Here're some links that might help you.

http://www.nitewindes.com/hc_healthdiarrhea.pdf

http://www.nitewindes.com/HealthTric...de_tfoetus.pdf

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/rawcat/

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.ph...turaltreatment

http://www.bengalcatforums.com/forum...93ee5c9468579b
Im feeding him Innova EVO, thanks for those links.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In order to try to even things out, try feeding nothing but boiled white-meat chicken (boiled in water only, no salt, seasonings or vegetables) mixed with some plain, long-cooking white rice. Just puree them together in the blender with some of the liquid used to boil the chicken until you get a paste and offer about a tablespoon of that 3 or 4 times a day for no longer than 2 to 3 days. This should help you to get the stool firmed up a little. Make sure you offer plenty of clean, fresh water to help combat any dehydration issues that may come up.

When he tested positive, I presume at some past point, was he treated successfully? Most vets I've dealt with want to retest a certain amount of time after treatment ends to ensure they got everything. How long has it been since treatment ended? The meds used for parasites can oftentimes cause a bout of diarrhea in cats after a certain amount of time on them, but this usually clears up in a couple of days after stopping meds. But, if treatment was effective and he has tested negative for parasites, including giardia and coccidia yet still is having diarrhea, then perhaps you are switching foods around too quickly for his system. Are you changing foods abruptly or are you gradually mixing the old food in with the new over a period of time?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gayef

In order to try to even things out, try feeding nothing but boiled white-meat chicken (boiled in water only, no salt, seasonings or vegetables) mixed with some plain, long-cooking white rice. Just puree them together in the blender with some of the liquid used to boil the chicken until you get a paste and offer about a tablespoon of that 3 or 4 times a day. This should help you to get the stool firmed up a little.

When he tested positive, I presume at some past point, was he treated successfully? Most vets I've dealt with want to retest a certain amount of time after treatment ends to ensure they got everything. How long has it been since treatment ended? The meds used for parasites can oftentimes cause a bout of diarrhea in cats after a certain amount of time on them. But, if treatment was effective and he has tested negative for parasites, including giardia and coccidia yet still is having diarrhea, then perhaps you are switching foods around too quickly for his system. Are you changing foods abruptly or are you gradually mixing the old food in with the new over a period of time?
Ditto /////

for the interm ... DO you know how to check for dehydration???

You may want to add some PLAIN yet cooked Pumpkin / sweet potato or yam.. Ie the pumpkin can says ingrediants : pumpkin NOTHING else

How long did you give each food??? trials should be changed gradually like 7-21 days for dry food and then attempt to use that food for another 2-3 weeks ... EVO is KNOWN for cause issues in some cats ... Have you feed any wet food???

ericss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gayef

In order to try to even things out, try feeding nothing but boiled white-meat chicken (boiled in water only, no salt, seasonings or vegetables) mixed with some plain, long-cooking white rice. Just puree them together in the blender with some of the liquid used to boil the chicken until you get a paste and offer about a tablespoon of that 3 or 4 times a day for no longer than 2 to 3 days. This should help you to get the stool firmed up a little. Make sure you offer plenty of clean, fresh water to help combat any dehydration issues that may come up.

When he tested positive, I presume at some past point, was he treated successfully? Most vets I've dealt with want to retest a certain amount of time after treatment ends to ensure they got everything. How long has it been since treatment ended? The meds used for parasites can oftentimes cause a bout of diarrhea in cats after a certain amount of time on them, but this usually clears up in a couple of days after stopping meds. But, if treatment was effective and he has tested negative for parasites, including giardia and coccidia yet still is having diarrhea, then perhaps you are switching foods around too quickly for his system. Are you changing foods abruptly or are you gradually mixing the old food in with the new over a period of time?
Well its been a couple months since he was last treated for parasites, and actually the last time we treated him, his fecal exam was negative, but the vet told me to treat him anyway.
When I changed his food I did it gradually, but maybe I did it to fast,
He is free fed at the moment, and I just started adding the new food mixed in with his old of the course of 4 days.

He has been on evo for over two weeks or so now, with no improvement, and I dont want to switch foods again if I dont have to. The worst thing is that his poop is horrid smelling now that he is on the EVO.
Ill try that boiled rice and chicken thing as well. Thanks alot.

river

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My bengals didn't do well on Evo, hard or soft. You might consider trying the Giardia treatment that Dr. Jean suggested for a few days to see if it has an effect. I heard from others the treatment also works for coccidia and might work for TF.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
SIlly ?? but have you talked with the breeder about this???

ericss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

SIlly ?? but have you talked with the breeder about this???
Well I talked to her mostly about his cataracts. At first she wanted to exchange Mowgli for a new kitten and I said no, Id rather spend the 3k in bills to have him fixed. She lighted up after that I and said she wouldnt pay or give my money back, but offered me a new kitten from a different litter. Which I will probably accept.
She also stopped breeding the mother of my kitten because a few of the babies had juvenile cataracts and they were most likely hereditary.

I have fed him wet food only as a treat. Not for the last couple months though.
He also farts alot, and it stinks bad =P

Thanks for all the help guys, I will takes every word seriously and try out all I can.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
His gas issues IMHO pt to diet
... you may want a NON chicken food

ericss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

His gas issues IMHO pt to diet
... you may want a NON chicken food
Non chicken huh? Is chicken know to cause gas? I dont know much about food, but are there very many dry non chicken foods??

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No advice but I wanted to say that he is absolutely adoreable!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by EricSS

Non chicken huh? Is chicken know to cause gas? I dont know much about food, but are there very many dry non chicken foods??
Natures Variety makes a lamb formula and a salmon formula .... Natural balance makes a duck and pea formula... Eagle pack makes a lamb and oatmeal formula

river

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just some fun reading for all you diarrhea lovers out there