Which food is best for my kitten?

mishkas mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,
I have just gotten back from taking Mishka to her first Vet visit and I am fairly confused! The breeder I got Mishka from said that she reccomended me using Evo organic kitten food because it has higher protein than other foods (56%) I asked the doctor what he reccomended, and told him of my breeders suggestion, and he said that he did not necessarily see the benifit to feeding her the more expensive, protein packed food. He said that something like IAMs has all the nutrients that she needs. I dont know who to listen to! I feel like the breeder really did what was best for all of her cats and kittens, but the doctor should know best right?
Any suggestions????? After the bag of food i'm giving her now is finished, i want to get her on one brand and keep her there. Help!

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you on a budget? I mean if the vet doesn't seem any harm to feeding them the cheaper stuff thats probably the way I would go just because I have a budget! If you can afford the expensive stuff and are comfortable because thats what kitties been getting then I would go that way!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would suggest doing some research... I see the reasoning behind HIGH protein dry foods but am leary at this pt to only offer one without the benifit of a quality canned food...

Yes Iams has all the nutrients but think about this you can get most of the nutrients you need from a major burger chain .. that doesnt = healthy....

I prefer foods without alot of corn / corn gluten ( it is great for UTI health) but I dont want both in the formula and it should be found not in the first or second ingrediant

Chicken by products if named ( 50% chicken hearts 10% chn intestines 10% chicken head s would be fine but chn by products only covers WHAT could be and the quality is unknown as well as exactly what it is

Personally I use a moderate protein moderate fat moderate carb food with Zoey with good results ... she gets no grain for snacks

Basically there are MANY MANY Premium foods and many of those are good depending on your wants from the food and the cats individual needs

FYI EVO at this pt is not organic

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by glitch

Are you on a budget? I mean if the vet doesn't seem any harm to feeding them the cheaper stuff thats probably the way I would go just because I have a budget! If you can afford the expensive stuff and are comfortable because thats what kitties been getting then I would go that way!
There are some good quality foods that won't cost you an arm and a leg so budget shouldn't be a problem. There are quality foods at budget prices, plus if the cats are getting quality food they will eat LESS (which also means they poo less which also saves on litter
).

Unfortunately most vets know little to nothing about nutrition so unless you KNOW your vet has taken extra courses in nutrition (and recommending cheap food doesn't sound like he/she has taken any extra courses), then, as Sharky says, do some research.