Berach has suddenly fallen ill

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As many of you know, I just buried my beautiful baby girl Chloe yesterday.

Last night Berach appeared to be breathing heavily, it was barely noticeable. In fact everyone thought I was imagining it and I was overacting because of Chloe. I called the vet, but they were closing and I didn't get a chance to talk to a vet. It didn't appear to be an emergency so I waited and took him to the vet today. He was OBVIOUSLY breathing hard when I got home from work so I took him a little early.

The Dr. took xrays and told me that his chest cavity is full of a foreign substance, most likely fluid, and that it is crushing his lungs. They were very candid in telling me that they don't see this turning around for him.
He was fine a couple days ago... and now I'm afraid, and the Dr.'s are afraid, that Berach has FIP also. Right now they are doing a chest stick to check the contents but it doesn't look good.

I've cried some but I'm mostly just numb. I just spent weeks and thousands of dollars trying to nurse Chloe back to health. I'm so stressed I can't breathe. I'm not ready to do this again.

Please pray for Berach. please... my little fur family is dying around me...
I'm devastated, words cannot describe how I'm feeling.

To top it all off my sister met a lady today who's kitten (same age as my kittens) died TODAY of FIP. and guess what... she got him from the same rescue I got my babies from... this is just the worst thing ever.

ever...

brittany_nicole

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You should contact the rescue center you got your cats from. If it is common in their cats, they should be closed down.

I truly hope Berach gets better and this is just a false alarm. Loosing another cat would be devastating for you.

I hope you feel better soon. I know, it is tough loosing pets. It's like they are a piece of you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
the vets just called back.

It appears to be FIP.
He can only breathe a little better now that they've drained some of the fluid out.

I don't want him to suffer... at this rate he'll suffocate by morning.
I'm going to ask them to put him to sleep.

merry
christmas

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh No that is terrible!!! Im so sorry!!
Im so sorry this is happening to you! FIP is the worse disease known to kitty.... I can't even tell you how sorry I am...

brokenheart

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh Saya, I'm so sorry! Is this Berach who had the big tree adventure over Thanksgiving?

Poor little thing. He did have people who loved him, though. Loved him enough to climb a giant tree and bring him home.

I'll be thinking of you.

iluvdevons

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear the bad news. I can't imagine losing 2 cats so close together. Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you.

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Saya

Sweet Berach fly straight to Chloe and watch closely over your Meowmy. She loves you both so much!

Saya, I am sending lots of love to you. I wish I could make things better for you

Please reach out to one of us if you need too.

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry..To loose one is horrible but then another cat to the same illness
.. I can not imagine having to go through this again so soon. Hugs and prayers for you..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
thank you all...

We put Berach down early this evening after spending a little time with him and telling him how much we loved him.
I held him and petted him until he fell asleep.

I brought him home. He goes into the garden next to Chloe tomorrow....

I'm so broken...
My only consolation is in the knowing that they are no longer sick and that they are together.
It is so quiet and empty feeling here.
Thank God Beatrix is ok.
Even if she is a mean and grumpy
, I still love her and am glad to have her.

brokenheart

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, Saya, I'm so sorry.

This is a quote I love from Henry V; I found a little comfort in it years ago when one of our much-loved rescue group kittens died of leukemia:

"Small time --
But in that small, most greatly lived"

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are no words that I can say that could possible make this any easier on you, so, Im sorry!!! Im crying right along with you!! I can't believe this happened to you... to them.... it all seems so unfair!!

May Your Babies Cross The Bridge Together

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear this sad news. Please contact the shelter where you got them to let them know that you know of at least 3 kitties that have died of FIP that came from there.

missmun52

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so very sorry for your loss. FIP is horrible and with the wet form, which I assume your kitty had, you dont really have time to prepare yourself for their passing because it all happens so fast. I think you made the best decision for them as they are both in a better place and no longer suffering.

I agree that you should contact the shelter where you got the kitties to let them know whats going on.