I need "please not malignant cancer" vibes for Spike!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sitting here a little stunned right now. Spike has a growth on his back right foot that showed up about 2 weeks ago, but grew exponentially since last Friday night. We took him to the vet this afternoon and she said it looks like a sarcoma. Most hard tumors located in that spot are nearly always malignant.

He's got surgery scheduled for Thursday morning to remove it and biopsy it. It will probably be a few days before those results come back. The vet will try to get as much of the tumor out during the surgery, but said that he will most likely need radiation treatment afterwards. The only thing good about this type of cancer is that they are usually slow to metastitize.

If we lose Spike, Sam will be completely devastated. They are littermate brothers who just turned 4 last month. They are inseparable, and Spike even cried the entire trip to the vets because Sam wasn't with us. I'm sure Sam cried at home.

I hate my premonition sometimes. Last month we started looking to adopt a third dog because in our heart, we knew that Sam would outlive Spike and we wanted to get a companion dog that is well established in the house when we lost Spike. I never in my wildest dreams thought it would happen this soon. Spike has a bad case of hip dysplasia and we thought his end would be about 10 years old from advanced untreatable arthritis. He's been on meds for 3 years already.

So.....need the power of TCS to ward off a diagnosis of malignancy. Spike is too young and the brothers are too close.

Spike is the black dog. Sam is the red one. That's 165 pounds of dog sleeping on top my DH.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
for Spike.

My cat Chassis had sarcoma in her front leg. They ended up amputating it and we now hope that it hadn't spread elsewhere in her body from when she had it.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending you lots of positive vibes!!! Last March when Bobs had her tumors removed the thought that they could be cancer really surprised me. And yes both cancerous too. More have popped up and surgery next month.
But we got the biopsy results either later the day of her surgery or for sure the next day-hopefully you won't have to wait too long.
If there any possiblity of nerve damage when removing tumor??? Bobs suffered some on her facial tumor site. Just a question to ask your vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

If there any possiblity of nerve damage when removing tumor??? Bobs suffered some on her facial tumor site. Just a question to ask your vet.
Good point and we will ask about it on Thursday. He already gimps on his back legs from the dsyplasia, so hopefully even if he has it, it wouldn't make it any worse.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Amy ...... sending many vibes and prayers for Spike and for you, Sam and your DH

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many many healing vibes for Spike, who has such a sweet face... and for you and Sam and your whole household. Please give Spike and Sam a big snuggle from me, okay? Such beautiful dogs.

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lots of non-sarcoma vibes coming Spikes way. Poor sweet guy is way too young to be so sick

That is an absolutely fantastic photo of your DH and the boys.