cats peeing/pooping on my clothes

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband and I have 2 litterboxes*soon to be 3* One upstairs and one downstairs our house is 2200sq feet(I know I need more boxes) but anyways the cats use the one upstairs perfectly the one dowstairs is a different story...They use it but they also use the clothes downstairs(my dirty laundry) I have no idea why the do it...The litter boxes are kept immaculate I shovel them 3 times a day and change the litter once every 8 days. I need any advice that would be helpful to eliminating this problem whether I need more boxes and where to place them and how many I need...I have four cats only 3 use the ds box my himalayan uses the upstairs box only because he is still scared of going downstairs. Also I need to know how to get the smell out of my clothes and washer...

**I am not mad at my cats just aggervated we love them all and would never get rid of them for any reason whatsoever!**

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You'll need to THOROUGHLY soak the clothing that has been peed on in an enzymatic cleaner like Nature's miracle, in addition to washing the floor in that area with it.

Simple washing with detergent won't take out the smell. And cats tend to be creatures of habit - they found a spot they like so they will keep going back.

Try putting a litter box in the exact spot where you normally keep the dirty laundry - that may help as well. And the general rule is 1 box per cat, plus one. I find that one per cat works well.

Have you ruled out any UTI issues by taking them to the vet?

vegasrob

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i had this problem when one i had some years back was mad at me for one reason or another, he would pee and poop and knead it into the clothes, so see if one is not getting enuf attention or any other problems, they can be vindictive animals when they want to

jenniferd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For whatever reason, some cats love laundry.
Keep your clothes where the cats can't get to them.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For 10 years, Seb used his box faithfully. Recently, after being to the vet to be treated for a UTI, he loves laundry, too. I have a heck of a time with him climbing into the laudry baskets to pee on clothes. He still uses his boxes, just wants the clothing, too.
I am going to try the tall thin hampers with lids to see if that will keep him out of them. Maybe you could try this as well.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

You'll need to THOROUGHLY soak the clothing that has been peed on in an enzymatic cleaner like Nature's miracle, in addition to washing the floor in that area with it.

Simple washing with detergent won't take out the smell. And cats tend to be creatures of habit - they found a spot they like so they will keep going back.

Try putting a litter box in the exact spot where you normally keep the dirty laundry - that may help as well. And the general rule is 1 box per cat, plus one. I find that one per cat works well.

Have you ruled out any UTI issues by taking them to the vet?
Yup. With four kitties, I'd have five boxes - especially with that large a home. One of the new ones should go where the dirty laundry has been. And a tall covered hamper isn't a bad idea either!

Laurie