How often can you deworm?

mulenag

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How often can you SAFELY deworm an otherwise healthy adult cat?
Two of my barn cats are amazing mousers, but that just means they constantly have tapes. I just gave all my barn cats a dose of Drontal the end of September...is it too soon to do it again? I noticed yesterday that Roxie has the tell-tale "rice" on her backend.
Thanks for the help!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This would be a vet ??? as that is a RX wormer .... if memory serves every season is allowed but verify that with the vet

efrost6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For indoor kitty, do you also have a set schedule for deworming?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by efrost6

For indoor kitty, do you also have a set schedule for deworming?
well according to my vet the only time to worm any cat is if you see them , like the OP and the rice segment or the cat is showing other signs of possible worms... see worming meds are a POSION

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Huh? Worming meds are poison? You know how many doses of that stuff they gave to Glitch before they figured out he had FIP?? 6!!

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We only deworm adults if they have signs of worms. If they have signs of them then we deworm every 3 weeks till they are gone. Outdoor cats are harder though because they are continously exposed to worms.

Forgot to say that we always take a stool sample into the vets to make sure its worms and then 3 weeks later we take another sample in. If they are clear then no more dewormer.

efrost6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
But how often do you deworm indoor kitty? Our cat was dewormed a week before we brought him home. Our old vet told us he should be dewormed every 2 weeks. We read that it should be done every 3 months. Hence, he's no longer our vet (especially given that he wanted us to vaccinate our cat every 2 weeks as well...chuck ching, chuck ching---money drawer sound).

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

But how often do you deworm indoor kitty? Our cat was dewormed a week before we brought him home. Our old vet told us he should be dewormed every 2 weeks. We read that it should be done every 3 months. Hence, he's no longer our vet (especially given that he wanted us to vaccinate our cat every 2 weeks as well...chuck ching, chuck ching---money drawer sound).
Kandie was wormed about once a yr for nearly 19 yrs

Zoey was wormed when I got her and not since that was three yrs ago ...

Gigi was wormed three yr s ago ( she is a dog and more prone)

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

But how often do you deworm indoor kitty?
Cats over 6 months, every 3 months. 12 weeks-6 months, every month. That's what's recommended over here anyway.

I don't though, I only plan to worm if I see a problem.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Wow, that can't possibly be a certified vet. I'd check out his medical degree. Our indoor cats are ONLY dewormed if they show signs of actually having worms. Deworming is not done on a regular basis, i.e., every 3 months, once a year, etc.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Actually, efrost6, I think what your vet said was that they would need to be treated again in two weeks, not "every" two weeks. The poison used to kill the worms (whether it's drontal, panacur, or whatever) only kills the adult worms, not the eggs. The lifecycle of the eggs is such that the poison (medicine) needs to be administered again. Some vets suggest in two weeks, or vet has us do it in three.

If you do NOT readminister the meds in two or three weeks, you have not gotten rid of the infestation, because the eggs have gestated and become adult worms.

So to be effective, deworming requires two administrations of the medicine, one approximately 2 - 3 weeks after the first administration of the meds.

For outdoor kitties, it is OK to deworm seasonally. I'd talk to a vet about doing it more often.

Also, I believe you may be referring to the distemper vaccination. The initial distemper vaccination also needs to be administered in two doses - here again, the second dose is administered by the vet approximately 2 - 3 weeks after the first.

Laurie

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Originally Posted by LDG

Actually, efrost6, I think what your vet said was that they would need to be treated again in two weeks, not "every" two weeks. The poison used to kill the worms (whether it's drontal, panacur, or whatever) only kills the adult worms, not the eggs. The lifecycle of the eggs is such that the poison (medicine) needs to be administered again. Some vets suggest in two weeks, or vet has us do it in three.

If you do NOT readminister the meds in two or three weeks, you have not gotten rid of the infestation, because the eggs have gestated and become adult worms.

So to be effective, deworming requires two administrations of the medicine, one approximately 2 - 3 weeks after the first administration of the meds.

For outdoor kitties, it is OK to deworm seasonally. I'd talk to a vet about doing it more often.

Also, I believe you may be referring to the distemper vaccination. The initial distemper vaccination also needs to be administered in two doses - here again, the second dose is administered by the vet approximately 2 - 3 weeks after the first.

Laurie
Excellent post Laurie. I too believe there is just a misunderstanding here. No vet in their right mind would recommend worming EVERY two weeks. eFrost, I would suggest you call your vet and ensure you get the correct information. It's important.