My cat dosnt know what to do

zeikhunter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
sorry if there's a better place for this, but nothing else was immediately obvious, and time might be a factor here.

My cat Koi just gave birth to 4 kittens yesterday, but she dosnt seem to have 'the knack' in the maternal care dept. she wont stay with the kittens for any length of time unless someone's there with her, and even then she may just jump out of the box and leave the room.

We rescued her from the local highschool when she was a kitten. when we got her she hadnt even been weaned yet. maybe that lack of proper motherly care is the problem, and if so, how do we fix this? We cant sit and force her to stay in the box all day and nurse her kittens, and even when she's with them she will sit up and start cleaning herself.

When she gave birth she didnt eat the placenta, and didnt seem to really know what she was supposed to do. Whats the best way to help her and make sure the kittens survive?

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only thing I can suggest until someone else answers is to read the sticky in this section called Welcome message, important kitten care links - orphan kittens & making kitten milk.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Firstly, hello and welcome to TCS.

I am not an expert on this by any means, but very soon several people will be along who can help you. I just want to let you know you have come to the right place

How old is your kitty, do you think? And has she been in good health up until now?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zeikhunter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
well, id estimate shes about 18 months old, my sister rescued her a few days before i came back from deployment in june 06. she had some stress issues a few months ago when i was away from home for a few months, had some bald spots form, etc, but otherwise shes always been in good health, if not a little on the small side either from undernourishment before we got her or being a 'runt'.

ill get to reading that thread kai, thanks for the help.

sadieandziggy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I think the only thing I can suggest would be to take over. I would have no idea on how to make her maternal - some humans are like that too, and theres just nothing you can do. Maybe she's going through postnatal depression? I don't know if cats can get this. Also, has she been recently de-fleaed or wormed? If not, this could cause her a distraction. Also, have the kittens been taken to the vet to be checked over. Sometimes, the mother will abandon them if they know something is wrong with the kittens that we can't see.

Just some options, but I suggest you treat them as orphans, and do it yourself.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried confining her to a small room with them or else a large dog crate so that she cannot leave them? I am sure she will know what to do but she is just being distracted. If she didn't know what to do they wouldn't be living right now. Kittens that young can't go all that young without food and care from the mother so she must be doing something. And it is alright for her to get up and move around and visit with you. As long as she is going back to them.

Also, make sure the momma cat is on a high quality kitten food and cannot get back outdoors or in contact with intact males so another accident doesn't happen.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zeikhunter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
well, shes doing just fine now.

had some problems with her crying constantly and stealing kittens from my other cat who gave birth about 5 days before her. eventually they decided to move into one box together, and she calmed down quite a bit. they both share care of the dozen kittens between them.

so, anybody want a kitten? lol.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha Ive actually had that happen to me before too! One of them isn't doing well so the other kitty (who was her sister) came over and took the kittens and they moved into my brothers bottom drawer together and were one big family of which no one knew who's kittens were who's!! Im glad its going better for you now!!
Good luck and keep us posted!!

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zeikhunter

well, shes doing just fine now.

had some problems with her crying constantly and stealing kittens from my other cat who gave birth about 5 days before her. eventually they decided to move into one box together, and she calmed down quite a bit. they both share care of the dozen kittens between them.

so, anybody want a kitten? lol.
So you have two momma cats then? As long as they can nurse from 1 of the momma cats, they will be all right and won't have to be bottle fed and treated like abandoned/orphaned kittens.

I want to see pics of all these adoreable kittens!

You do plan on spaying both of the mom cats soon right? That is the best thing you can do for both momma cats.