cleaning a cats ears

angelic00

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Whats the easiest way to clean a cats ears?my cat Sunny wont let anyone do i have tried groomers and her vet.I clean what i can daily but wow they are getting bad.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they need cleaning daily, are you sure she doesn't have mites?

My cats only need cleaning every few weeks, and their ears are pretty big (Oci's grow into their ears
) I just fold them back and wipe with a baby wipe.

Maybe do what you can, and then offer treats so she learns to let you do it.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually if a cat is giving you a hard time in cleaning ears, they may have ear infection or mites, etc. Have a vet check your cat out. Most cats don't need more then a once or twice weekly check/clean.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angelic00

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They had gotten bad because they had not been done for prob about 2ish months,she will sit and let me clean them but only for a minute at the most,then she get really not happy with me.

angelic00

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
And she was checked for mites about 2 weeks ago when a friend of mine brought her dog over who had mites(didnt tell me though).

eggytoast

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Juniper's ears were getting a little gross, and the vet cleaned his ears when we went in for his neuter. They were getting pretty bad again, so what we did to keep them clean was get another kitten. Took a few weeks but now they're much cleaner

(ok ear cleaning wasn't the only reason we got him)

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It might not be mites, Bella had a yeast infection in her left ear...I knew something was up because she ordinarily only needs a cleaning every few weeks and she doesn't like it, but she submits. When she had the infection she really fought us and she had an increase in brown gunk.

Vet gave us some drops and it was cleared up in a couple of weeks.

Of course it's a two person job.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've never cleaned our cat's ears and they're fine. I never knew you had to clean them on a regular basis unless they had an infection or mites.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've honestly never had to clean my cats' ears. Radar is mostly white at the base of his ears which makes observation very easy, and they've never got grubby- always just nice and pink.

Sonic I don't know about - because Radar is a manic groomer, he loves to give Sonic a bath and pays good attention to his ears

Perhaps I should hire out Radar for ear-cleaning duties

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

I've honestly never had to clean my cats' ears. Radar is mostly white at the base of his ears which makes observation very easy, and they've never got grubby- always just nice and pink.

Sonic I don't know about - because Radar is a manic groomer, he loves to give Sonic a bath and pays good attention to his ears

Perhaps I should hire out Radar for ear-cleaning duties
Aha - maybe that's the answer. Bijou and Mika clean each other's ears. But before them I only ever had a single cat and never had to have ears cleaned. Interesting.

angelic00

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have never had to clean any of my other cats ears(i check them about once a week)I am not sure why Sunnys are as bad as they are.When she went to the vet a few weeks ago she got a very clean bill of health.Maybe i will just keep doing my daily attempt to clean them,They are looking much better now though.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the cats clean each other ears, you probably don't need to do them
But showing cats, you make sure that EVERYTHING is clean! So I'm just used to checking them and cleaning them. Breeds with large ears and little fur in them tend to get dirty faster - like rexes, siamese, orientals, etc.

And most of my cats tended to have one worse then the other. Charlie is the same way - one ear tends to need cleaning more.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

If the cats clean each other ears, you probably don't need to do them
Sonic absolutely hates it when Radar does his ears! Radar is very gentle but determined, Sonic is going to be washed and that is that. You can see that Sonic just looks so disgruntled and put out. He can be grumbling away and Radar just completely ignores it, lick lick lick, paw gently holding Sonic in place if necessary - it's really quite hilarious. I am sure Radar would have made a great mother

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like it - my first cat, Mitten would have been a good mother cat - he was so patient with kittens and would babysit and take care of my RB's kittens - even to the point of washing them as they pushed him out of the food bowl

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jack had a yeast infection in his left ear--he did really well with the cleaning and drops. Pretty cooperative in my opinion.

Now we use the ear wash every two weeks or so as recommended by the vet. Usually we just sit him on our lap fold the ear back and put the cleaner in--he doesn't mind as he knows he'll earn a treat

Leslie