early morning yowling!

biggs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does anyone have a tip on how to stop a kiteh from yowling at 5am! I live in a condo and my widdle wones are sitting by the door and will yowl till I get up. They have lots of food and sometimes want the wet food which I stupidly give them to quiet them down and now they expect it every morning. How can I stop this? They also will demand to be let out in the hallway!! It's like you give an inch and they take a mile. Does anyone have any tips on how to quiet them down? many thanks to those whom reply

red scathach

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wish I had some miracle cure for the morning wake-up calls. We now use our very vocal boy as an emergency alarm clock, he will not let my husband sleep longer then 6:30 lol. There was a cute video that reminds me of what our cat does to us every day:

Maybe you can slowly move his feeding time to later in the morning perhaps? Not sure if that would really help or not but it might

werebear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Create a schedule and stick to it. They've discovered you are trainable!

I feed my cats canned food in the morning, but not before 7:30 AM. No matter what. And while the adults know I sometimes sleep in on weekends, the kitten is still learning this, so there's a lot of stubborn on my part to make it work.

But it will work. They're only doing this because you gave in. And in the wee hours of the morning, with nothing else to do, it's no surprise that they will be wondering if you might be interested in breakfast too.

Now that you've discovered how smart cats are, it's time they learned how stubborn you can be. Discourage them from howling in the hallway by responding with something outside yourself that is something they do not like, such as running the vacuum for a few seconds or using a hissing air can.

I haven't had to do this; my ignoring them works for me. But I knew not to give in from previous experience!

tabbytail

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Little roosters! If you do get up and feed them, you can go back to sleep and they will shut up.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by TabbyTail

Little roosters! If you do get up and feed them, you can go back to sleep and they will shut up.
The only other option is the suggestion by werebear - MUCH easier said than done at this point. Earplugs will help if you decide to "retrain" them.

Laurie

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seb still tries this with me and Daphne will too once in awhile. This morning they were both jumping over/on me at 6am. I never get up at this hour. So, I ignore them. I may get up to answer nature's call but there is no way I'll feed them. If I do it once, they'll have me figured out and will never stop
So, I just go back to bed. I c a n n o t give in even to Daphne's sweet face.

Funny thing is, there is always still some food in their dish. I think Seb wants his wet and Daph wants me to play. UGH.

brokenheart

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In earlier years, my cat used to drive me crazy with this, too. He'd be so excited about breakfast, it got to the point where he would open my eye with his paw at around 4 a.m.

I started giving him food that would quell his hunger but not that he would be crazy about first thing in the morning, so he lost the impetus to get me up and eventually just let me sleep. I would give him the foods he liked later in the day.

mochapenguin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TabbyTail

I've been doing this on weekends so I can try to sleep in a bit...wake up at the usual time and feed, then back to bed...works fine until she is done eating, but then she thinks it's time to play.
This is when we lock her out of the bedroom and ignore the constant meowing, hoping for the best...yesterday she kept meowing almost constantly for about two hours, but this morning she quit after 15 minutes and we were able to sleep until 9:30!