am i feeding my cats enough?

unicacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I been having this problem with my cats trying to eat my food. I eat salad, they will try, and get some. I basically eat anything, they want it. So, recently i was wondering if i was feeding them enough, because then they wont come after my food, if they werent hungry.
Sol weighs 6.5 lbs, and Luna 6.2 lbs, and i give them three cans in a day in total, ( the can says one per 2.1 pounds, so i basically am giving them three because that makes 6.3 pounds)
They also have royal cannin dry food 24.7 , and evos dry food 24.7 ( luna likes royal, and sol likes evo)

they have plenty of water as well, because they have the water fountain for cats.
Am i feeding them enough?

rescuecatsrule

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are feeding your cats enough.

Your cats want what's on your plate purely because you are eating it. Beauty does that - if I'm eating anything she wants she'll come rubbing round me and sniffing the food on my plate.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Popsie gets plenty of food and he still wants mine. Cats know what we're eating tastes better so they want that.

sham

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats will go after human food even if they aren't really hungry. Some are so silly they will eat things they normally wouldn't (like salad) just because your eating it. They can act like they are completely starving when they just finished munching on their own food. The only time mine don't beg is after stuffing themselves with a bunch of canned food until they can't eat anymore. My sister's cats will still beg even if they've been given more canned food than they can comfortably fit in their stomachs. They'll leave their food behind to come beg for food when I'm just eating a cookie.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old are the cats? Are they maintaining their weight? If they are maintaining their weight and they aren't still kittens in the growth process, then they are getting enough food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

unicacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cloud_shade

How old are the cats? Are they maintaining their weight? If they are maintaining their weight and they aren't still kittens in the growth process, then they are getting enough food.
my cats are now 9 month and 2 weeks to be precise.
they are growing, and gaining weight, the last time i took them to the vet they were 6 lbs, and healthy. I am going next week to the vet ( i got every three weeks - month with them). I dont know how much more they have to grow, or when they stop growing.

ok, thank you all for the clear up, because i was stating to wonder if they had enough.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Unicacat

my cats are now 9 month and 2 weeks to be precise.
they are growing, and gaining weight, the last time i took them to the vet they were 6 lbs, and healthy. I am going next week to the vet ( i got every three weeks - month with them). I dont know how much more they have to grow, or when they stop growing.

ok, thank you all for the clear up, because i was stating to wonder if they had enough.
2WEEKS????? that kitty if orphaned should only be haveing formula

robertm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

2WEEKS????? that kitty if orphaned should only be haveing formula
I think Unicacat meant that the cats are 9 1/2 months old.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate that chart thingy... my cats never seem to fit on there anywhere....
I would say at 9&1/2 months and 6lbs they are doing good. So they each get three cans a day?? That would be plenty for even the fattest of cats! They just like your food!

efrost6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
With the chart, how do you tell with long-haired? I can;t see osmo's ribs at all with all his hair covering it?

deljo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well now I'm beginning to wonder if I'm feeding enough to my two cats. One is 10#, 2 yrs. and the other 15#, 18 months. They share a 5 oz can in the AM and a 3oz can in the evening. However there is always dry food available on a free feed basis. My 15# is somewhat fat but thats because she doesn't exercise. The 10# weighted 7# a year ago. Based on this I really think they are getting enough food. Also they don't beg for my food.I would like to get them to lose some weight but not to the point that I would make them go hungry. It sounds as if your cats are doing fine.

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're feeding them enough, don't worry. My Billy acts like he's starving all the time even though there's always food out for them, its just the way cats are.

And I usually go for feeling the ribs, rather than trying to look at them, since I have medium/long hairs. If you can just feel the ribs, you're probably okay. Feel them too well, and your cat could maybe stand to gain a little wait, and if you don't feel them at all, its probably time for a kitty diet!