after effects of snake bite

rocket

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi to all,
I am in need of help please. I have 2 cats, rocket and missy, they have been extremely close - sleep together - play fantastically together - clean each other etc. Last week Rocket was bitten by a venomous snake, is now home after treatment - he is still week and not himself (another issue). My immediate problem is that Missy will now not have anything to with him, actually I think she would kill him if she could. I have been researching this and have found out that a scent will come through his pores for a few weeks which will be frightening Missy. I have tried rubbing eucolyptus oil on him and now have tried Catnip spray, neither have worked. Missy also growls etc with Rocket on the other side of a shut door. I need to find a way to help them get back together and to find out if there is any knowlege as to whether the change may be permanent. rockets eyes certainly have a different look in them which also might be frightening Missy.
Looking forward to hearing from anyone with any suggestions/knowledge.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please be careful using essential oils with cats. Their livers metabolize compounds much differently than humans, and many oils can be toxic to cats. You don't want to stress his liver any more that it's already being stressed by trying to flush the venom toxins from his body.

You might want to look into Feliway diffusers to help with the aggression. They worked wonders when I introduced Lola to Cleo and Maggie.

Good luck!

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually I never believed in the Feliway diffusers the first time I used them but I got them again when we got Cali to see if it helped the other cats to cope with the stress and it actually seemed to help out more then it did when we moved into our new house.
I am all for trying the Feliway. Also, maybe put some Vanilla on both cats under the chins, that way they both smell similiar and the vanilla isn't toxic to the cats. Maybe that'll help.

carwashcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My GiGi was bitten 2 different times, it never bothered my spookie, but my mama cat hated her for the most part! But my mama cat didn't like my Scream, which was her own baby, after I took scream in to be spay, when she came home the next day got infected, ran a high temp, mama didn't care for her anymore after that, always hissing, someone told me, that they can smell the sickness and it scares them, either that or they smell the vets office, and fear, and they hate them for that smell! It sure is funny though that it never bothered my Spookie, with either one!I might would take a towel
and rub one cat down, then go rub the other one down with the same towel, so the scent of one will be on the other, so when the one goes to smell the other, it's scent is on the other one! I would rub missy down first and then rocket, if it doesn't work, at least you won't be out any money!
Monique
let us know what happens! good luck!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My female cat has done the same thing each time my male cat has had to stay at the vet. It usually lasts three or four days. Of course he is the one that has been sick a few times and has had to stay at the vet's. Alice has only stayed once, to be spayed, and he accepted her right back. A vet tech where I took them said she thought the females are more likely to react this way. I keep a closed door between them when I am not home and I caught her hissing at him through a closed door.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would continue to keep them separated till he's completely recovered. Have you talked to your vet about how long treatment or recovery might take. How did this happen? How do you know it was a poisoneous snake?

You might also try giving him a bath after he's recovered before you start introductions all over.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm very concerned about the use of eucalyptus oil on your cat. The oil contains phenols and is toxic to cats. The oil needs to be cleaned off of your cat and the vet contacted. This could be a major problem for your cat, depending on how much you actually put on your cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rocket

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow. I thank all you kind people who gave up time to reply to me. I have never participated on the net before - but i am desperate to get my much loved cats happy and healthy again. Luckily I only put a small amount of the oil on Rocket to test it - it didnt work so did not continue - interesting that it was the vet who recommended it after i went to them with my concerns. I will investigat. I will order a Feliway diffuser today - are we all sure that it is not harmful for my precious cats? I will also try the vanilla suggestion as that makes sense. I have also bought the Catnip spray, as I thought i should try that as they eat it naturally so cannot be harmful, but have been uncertain due to the high it puts them on as Rocket needs his rest, even though every day he is wanting to move around more and he even played with his toys for a bit last night which was great to see. I also have concerns as it is as though the lights on but no-one is home, but it may be he needs time to recover from the trauma and our Rocket will come back eventually.
You have all given me great help so far, thank you. any other advice greatly appreciated.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rocket

I have never participated on the net before - but i am desperate to get my much loved cats happy and healthy again.
Welcome to the forum! Glad you are here. You sound like you really care a lot about your cats. Sorry to hear about the snake bite. I have no experience with that as my cat is indoor.
Originally Posted by rocket

Luckily I only put a small amount of the oil on Rocket to test it - it didn’t work so did not continue - interesting that it was the vet who recommended it after i went to them with my concerns. I will investigate. I will order a Feliway diffuser today - are we all sure that it is not harmful for my precious cats? .
I use tea tree oil on my dogs occasionally for small minor scratches, but that oil is toxic to cats. You have to be very careful with meds and cats.

I have never used a Feliway diffuser but from others experience with them they are VERY helpful and very safe.
Best of luck and hope your kitty gets well soon. Keep us updated on your cats progress, do you know what type of snake it was?