"I Am Legend" - spoiler alert!!!

abnihon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Has anyone seen "I Am Legend"?
It was good, but there's an incredibly sad scene where his faithful dog (his only friend) is bitten by a virus infected dog, while protecting Will Smith, and comes down with the virus herself. Because the virus makes you attack anything around you, when she starts to exhibit aggressive symptoms, Will Smith has to strangle his dog, while cradling her in his arms and crying.

I was hysterical in tears!!

If you're sensitive to animals dying in movies, you might want to skip this one...

My boyfriend said I embarrassed him by overreacting and "making a scene", but it was so sad!
Does anyone else agree?

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, I don't think I'd be able to see that in theaters. I'd be a mess!
I'll watch it when it eventually comes out on DVD.

skyecat0117

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
From what you said it sounds a lot like the movie 28 days later. But ya I'll wait till video now for the whole dog scene. I'd be a mess in the theaters.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
this is the third or fourth remake of the same story.
i hear will smith does a good job, But i am in no rush to see it.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did they follow the book at all? Not that they ever do with movies.

DH wants to see it but is a bit cautious, he knows what taking me along will lead to.

Matheson has other books that have been made into movies, some of the more recent ones people may recognize - A Stir of Echoes, Hell House, What Dreams May Come. I suggest people try reading the books of course.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I probably won't go see it. I hope a students don't end up seeing this... it seems like middle school students see everything nowadays....

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We went last night to see the movie. I wasn't able to finish watching the scene with his dog. As soon as I realized what was going to happen I closed my eyes and plugged my ears. Hearing it was almost as bad as watching it. DH tapped me on the arm when it was done.

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate watching films where the animals die. I know they're only acting but it is so sad! I remember watching a film where this beautiful white horse was stuck in some mud and a little girl was trying to pull him out, and eventually it drowned. I cried and cried!

...Thank God they're just acting!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Went and seen it earlier.... they completely ruined it. Very little, if any, is similar to the book. They turned it into another mindless zombies come after people type story, no deeper meanings about society,no twist, very little real conflict.

I'll suggest it yet again, read the book -the main character doesn't kill the dog in the book, it gets sick and dies.

eburgess

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sister was screaming at the screen when she watched Hollow Man. I guess Kevin Bacon's character kills an invisible dog.

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You don't actually see him strangling the dog, if that's what anyone's wondering. It's actually a sad scene (if THAT'S the problem for you, lol), as Will (funny how he's Will Smith, not whatever his character's name is [I don't even remember it, lol]) was trying desperately to save Sam (the dog). He'd finally found the cure for the virus, but only in animals (well, one rat) so he tried it on Sam, but it didn't work. He was singing to her and stroking her, rocking her like a baby (possibly symbolizing his young daughter who had died with her mom as a result of the virus outbreak), waiting for it to work, and when her fur started to fall out (the infected are completely bald, apparantly, lol), he just kept singing. But she eventually snapped at his face and started going haywire, so he basically just held on tighter and choked her to death (you don't see it, the camera is centered only on Will's face throughout the scene, as he cries)

I think that having the dog die, you really realized how lonely Will was. It was only because of Sam that he was able to survive the past 3 (4?) years, and so well too. He maintained a normal semblence of life (if a bit "weird," like striking up conversations with manequins, like he really thought they were real). But when she died, his world was suddenly quieted. The first manequin he talked to made for a sad scene. The previous time he saw "her," he wanted to strike up a convo but couldn't do it [she was hot, lol] but he promised Sam he'd talk to her next time. So the next time he saw her, which I think was the day after Sam died, he asked the manequin to please talk to him (because, obviously, she was ignoring him) and when he realized that she wasn't real at all, that none of the manequins were real, you could just feel the crashing weight on his shoulders that he was the ONLY person around now. Well, him and the demented, diseased people. I personally liked that effect on me, and Will Smith did a good job (when hasn't he, though? lol)

I got to see it in a free screening, but it was a good enough movie that I'll go again with my sister, if she wants to see it (she loves scary movies, so it'll probably happen, lol)

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I loved the movie.
The scene with Sam was very poignant, not at all graphic.
The intent was to show Neville's deep despair, and hopelessness.

Will Smith has amazed me with every single movie he's done.
Honestly, I felt the chracter's pain in that scene.

I think the most striking and frightening point of the whole story was that a cure for one deadly disease mutated and became an even deadlier disease.
2 steps forward, 100 steps back for humankind.

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't wait to see this movie. I have heard from many that it is really nothing like the short story by Matheson, which is one of my favorites, but it still looks like a good movie. The scene in book where he comes across the dog, the dog's fear and mistrust and eventual death, is one of the saddest scenes I have ever read. It really exposed the horror and dread of being the only person alive in such a horrible world. I cried buckets from the time he met the dog, until the dogs death. It's just so sad. I love Matheson, and apocalyptic horror fiction in general. I don't really expect a movie to be able to capture the dread in that story, but it does look plenty entertaining. It is a "long" short story, just over a hundred pages, if any one is interested in reading it at some point- you can do it in a night.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just saw this movie tonight, and I was very excited to see it as I love Will Smith. Basically for 40% of the movie I had my ears plugged and my eyes closed..especially when there were scenes with the awful creatures

I was too intent on not being scared out of my gourd to be properly affected my Sams death. I knew as soon as the dogs attacked her that she would be inflicted with the virus and Will would haev to kill her..that is the saddest thing ever that he had to kill her..BUT the scene was in good taste and like the others said, you don't see him strangling the dog.

I would not see this movie again simply because the concept disturbs me and I get frightened very easily when it comes to creepy creatures in movies

kaete

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I saw this. The movie was great, but not at all what I was expecting... and that scene really did me in. I was bawling. I can't handle animals dying in movies. Give me all the human blood & guts you want, but I lose it over the animals. Go figure.

wildflower79

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The movie was ok. I think Will Smith is an excellent actor, the ending however, IMO was predictable. Unfortunately with these kind of movies about deadly viruses taking over, well it seems like there's really only way for it to all end. Although in this case I was really hoping it would end differently.

And yes I admit the scene with Sam made me cry like a baby but them again death scenes with animals always hit me hard.

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renovia

I probably won't go see it. I hope a students don't end up seeing this... it seems like middle school students see everything nowadays....
I wouldn't have a problem showing it to a middle school student. The movie really isn't that graphic. The part with the dog is sad, but still really not all that graphic.

I really liked the movie. I'd recommend going to see it.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lauracatlover

I hate watching films where the animals die. I know they're only acting but it is so sad! I remember watching a film where this beautiful white horse was stuck in some mud and a little girl was trying to pull him out, and eventually it drowned. I cried and cried!

...Thank God they're just acting!
You aren't thinking of The Neverending Story are you??? That is a boy, Atreyu, although he does look quite girl-y.