Do you regift?

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
This is the time of giving. So I'm wondering if you give someone else a gift you have received.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
No, that's not something I do, but if somebody really admires a gift I receive and I feel I won't use, I offer it to them.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I do! Someone might as well use it if I don't! I don't regift to someone that knows the other person though

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup! We definitely do! Often times we'll get something we don't use so we'll just wait around with it for next year and give it to someone else. Usually its to a different group, but often times we have forgotten who got what last year so it's easy to do.

(PS if we were to get caught, then we have agreed to say "Oh I liked it so much last year that I wanted to get ____ her/his own too!"

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes I have.

Occasionally a patient will insist on giving me a gift before they are discharged. Nothing major. Sometimes a book or in one case a small stained glass kerosene oil lamp. It was really beautiful but not something I would ever use because oil lamps scare me. Plus it didn't match my decore. So I kept it in my closet for a couple of years.

One year back when I did Christmas shopping, I was putting together a gift package for a lady I know. She is older and has some psych issues and when she was still living on her own I would buy her food every month because she squandered her pension on cigarettes, monthly pawn fees so that she wouldn't lose her stuff that she had in pawn for about a decade or more!!! And occasional gambling so that she could try and win big so she could get her stuff out of pawn. I had tried to tell her that she has paid 100 times more in pawn fees to hang onto the stuff, than the items were even worth. She wouldn't or couldn't see it.

Anyway, I couldn't stand to see her scrounging for food so I would buy her groceries once a month so at least she had something. I would also put together a hamper at Christmas for her and in it I would put some individually wrapped gifts so that she had something to open at Christmas time. I would go and buy her something, but I would find little things that had been gifted to me or things I had received free with a purchase, and I would wrap it up and include it in her Christmas Hamper.

But that has really been the only times i've regifted. I don't see anything wrong with regifting so long as the item is still new and in it's original box and is something that the person can actually use and you are not just being "cheap."

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have done it on occasion, but wouldn't make a habit of it. I would re-gift if the gift was absolutely perfect for someone else, but absolutely wrong for me.

pookieboy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've done it only once. 20 yrs ago my sister gave me a fancy 'going out' wallet that would be used in a smaller type evening bag. She got it at a jewelry store and it was quite lovely but I never once used it in the past 20 yrs. My other sis had a significant birthday year recently and I bought her a diamond tennis bracelet and also gave her that wallet as she and her husband go to a significant number of fancier type events.

I DID feel some guilt as the original box it came in had worn a bit on the corners where other items in my drawer had come in contact with it over the years.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NOT ANY MORE!!!!

I recieved a gift and I never even opened it or anything. It was something that was just plain silly/useless for me. The really bad part..... I forgot who gave it to me and I ended up giving it to the very same person who gave it to me!
I tried to play it off as, I loved it so much I thought you should have one too......yeah.......hope you like it!

So now my mom and I just regift eachother, my mom has given me a few gifts of hers
Last year she got SEVEN candles! I guess no one knows what to get her!

judi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

This is the time of giving. So I'm wondering if you give someone else a gift you have received.
If you have something which you can't use and/or you don't like, what is wrong with it? Just don't give it to the person who gave it to you or one of his or her friends!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a couple of times, but it's not something I do at all regularly. I haven't received many gifts that I didn't want to keep/couldn't use. When I have done it, it's been an item I would have bought for the person anyway, that came from someone they will never know. I would never regift where the original giver might be hurt by it.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't really re gift, but if its something that I don't like or won't use, and I know where they got it from, I'll take it back to the store & get something that I will use, or like better. I would hope that wouldn't offend somone, I guess its better to get something you like, right?

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to regift this Christmas!! Neil wanted some woodworking magazines so I asked my sister to pick some up. While shopping Thursday with Mom we picked up a couple more after I called my sis to make sure no duplicates. Guess what-she couldn't remember what she got and mom bought same one!! Called the store and we can't return so I am regifting it to one of my BIL's.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is not something I normally do but on a couple of occasions I have given members of my family gifts that were given to me by my grandparents or my parents, all of whom are no longer with us. These are things that actually did have sentimental value to me as well as the person I gave them to. These things will never leave the family but may be change households many times.
So it is more Passing on to the next person, then regifting.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

No, that's not something I do, but if somebody really admires a gift I receive and I feel I won't use, I offer it to them.

That's about the extent of my re-gifting. I've not recieved too many things I really did not like. But like when I was 15 or 16 and recieved a Barbie for Christmas, I did give it to my step-sister who was about 9 or 10.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

~KK~

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I needed a quick gift because I forgot about drawing names at the salon where I work part time. I had won a DVD in a drawing the night before, and used it for the gift because I did not have any money to buy anything. It was a good DVD, the third season of Sex in the City, and it happens the girl whose name I drew liked it. If it had been a crummy DVD, I would have done something else.

raggiekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have done it a couple of times....I figure just because it's something I won't use, doesn't mean someone wouldn't like it....I don't give it to another family member or anything...but I have made some perfume a teacher type gift before. And then some things that I think the person seemed to put a lot of thought into giving me...I just keep it whether I'll ever use it or not. The kids usually do a book exchange at school and if my child doesn't like the one he got, I'll save it for another time or donate it somewhere.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not regift.But, as someone else mentioned-if I have something that I dont/wont use and someone else likes it, I do let them have it.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya

NOT ANY MORE!!!!

I recieved a gift and I never even opened it or anything. It was something that was just plain silly/useless for me. The really bad part..... I forgot who gave it to me and I ended up giving it to the very same person who gave it to me!
I tried to play it off as, I loved it so much I thought you should have one too......yeah.......hope you like it!

OMG That just made my night...that's hilarious!