Anyone familar with Russian Blue behavior

melly608

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I rescued a Russian Blue about 2 years ago, although I did not know at the time what breed he was. I was sitting in my vets office when a breeder came in and went nuts over him and informed me, after checking him out, he is a Russian Blue. Unfortunately she was called in before I got a chance to really chat with her.

Since adopting my little guy I've noticed he is a really intelligent, really sweet cat. I mean he follows me around like a dog, opens doors and cabinets and fetches his toys, however, he is the most stubborn, hardheaded animal I've met. My previous cat was a Siamese and she seems like a pushover compared to him. Is stubborness a trait? I can't find much on the breed's temperment. Does anyone else have one and can clue me in?

Thanks,

Mel

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, long time RB owner, and a bit surprised at your question because it's one trait that never struck me as being a problem. Mine was (just lost him a few mos. ago at 14) notable for being lots of things, particularly sensitive and very loving, though could be absolutely wild in some circumstances, but if being stubborn is your cat's problem (or yours?) I'd love to know what the circumstances would be. I did find that when mine would take a position on some issue or other, if I just sat down and talked to him for a while, it definitely helped, but pushing did not. But what instances are you thinking of?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bred Russian Blues (was my first purebred cat). The males tend to be more outgoing and friendly and do seem to get in more trouble. The females are more independent.

My boy (Cassanova) was a real lover - he didn't seem to get in a lot of trouble and was not really hard headed. Charlie is the MOST hard headed cat we've had. When he wants to do something, nothing will stop him. He's smart as a whip and surprisingly has been very good about the Christmas tree. Only plays a little with the bottom decorations.

If you have a picture you can post, I'd like to see him. Some people think that any blue cat with green eyes is a Russian. He may or may not be a Russian mix (with the white paws)

judi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Judi

My Vet told me that my kitten is mostly a Russian Blue.
He has white paws and a white belly.
Thank you for that link. It is very informative.

Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I bred Russian Blues (was my first purebred cat). The males tend to be more outgoing and friendly and do seem to get in more trouble. The females are more independent.

My boy (Cassanova) was a real lover - he didn't seem to get in a lot of trouble and was not really hard headed. Charlie is the MOST hard headed cat we've had. When he wants to do something, nothing will stop him. He's smart as a whip and surprisingly has been very good about the Christmas tree. Only plays a little with the bottom decorations.

If you have a picture you can post, I'd like to see him. Some people think that any blue cat with green eyes is a Russian. He may or may not be a Russian mix (with the white paws)
The paws are not completely white. He looks like he is wearing socks.
Someone who knows about cats told me he is a Russian Blue and not a British Shorthair. My Vet said he is motly Russian Blue too!

jenniferd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Judi

My Vet told me that my kitten is mostly a Russian Blue.
He has white paws and a white belly.
Well, Russian Blues aren't supposed to have white paws and white belly.

judi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jenniferd

Well, Russian Blues aren't supposed to have white paws and white belly.
I didn't say that he is a purebreed.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Russian Blue Mix named Sasha. Russian Blues have Mauve Paw Pads and big ears with long Tails. I would post her pic but do not know how to post them here. My other Cats are part Russian blue too but they did not take the Russian Blue side except for thier shape.

shilohblue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have a year old polydactyl ( opposable thumbs on both front paws ) Russian Blue, and she's quite a little Alpha kitty. Even intimidates the dog who's alot bigger than her. Very intelligent and sweet, but also demanding.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I tend to think that unless you specifically buy your cat from a reputable breeder or breed rescue or have been given the cat (with papers) by a friend/associate, you probably have a moggie.

werebear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The mauve paw pads and nose leather are Russian Blue indicators, and can distinguish RB mixes from other gray cats. If you pet the cat and your fingers show up as silver streaks in the fur, that's another indicator.

Mixes or not, I've found that if it looks like a duck and walks like a duck, it probably acts like a duck. By which I mean we can find a lot of behavior and temperament indicators by breed clues. Getting the looks from a parent, purebred or not, means a lot of other genes came along for the ride.

I adore moggies, because of the hybrid vigor. I often find mixes can avoid the overstress of purebred mixing, especially when breeders have papers but don't take care to make the best genetic matches. All the papers mean is that the parents were purebreds; the resulting kittens can be a mess. This is how we get neurotic Siamese, whacked out Abyssinians, and Himalayans who can't find their way out of a paper bag.

So be tickled your boy has some of these traits; he sounds like a great cat, and kudos to you for wanting to know more about him. Even purebreds are not cookie cutter cats; they are all different.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, ya all scared away Melly........... I don't think they were trying to be a cat breeder..........
If you happen to be still looking, the characteristics you are mentioning are adorned in several different breeds, pure bred and general domestic. The give always comes with some take! Maia is my precious black and silver tabby, who has some of the most intelligent behaviors I have ever seen, she to is glued to my side, and can be such a stubborn brat some times! These are all the things that make me love her all the more, she is my best friend! It is true that pure breeds do carry some characteristics, such as being more vocal, or high energy, low energy, as well as physical traits.

omg.lisa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've got a russian blue/siamese mix! Winston is outgoing, super friendly, protective of his mommy, he likes to get into trouble by jumping on counters, and he talks waaaay toooo much about pretty much anything!

Probably the nicest cat I've ever had!