Hyperthyroidism

bab-ush-niik

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just looking for people with experience with this.

I'm fairly certain Patches has hyperthyroidism. She's been getting thin for years, which we put off to old age. In the last year, she yowls at night and generally acts odd. The last time I saw her (she lives with my parents), she looked very disheveled, which is unusual for her majesty. My parents have been putting off all her symptoms to old age. I think I've convinced them that some thing is WRONG with her, and that this is probably it.

However, their vet is no longer in practice. The new vet is basically in it for the money. Every time they've taken a pet there, they get charged for lots of things with no results.

Honestly, looking at her, you don't need to run a blood test to know that's what the problem is. Is there any chance of us getting the medication without ringing up a $300 vet bill to find out something we already know?

Also, does the medication come in any easy-to-use form? Patches is semi-feral. She does not take pills in any form (we've been lucky she's never really been sick before). She's also 17, so we can't stress her out with treatment.

Any stories, advice, is appreciated.

They live near Visalia, CA if anyone knows a good vet out there....

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, the medication has to be prescribed by a vet, and since so many of the senior disease (diabetes, chronic renal failure, hyperthyroidism, etc.) have overlapping symptoms, I don't know of any that will prescribe medicine without bloodwork first. Often the diseases overlap--so a cat with hyperthyroidism may also have chronic renal failure. It can take a careful balance to treat the hyperthyroidism without causing a kidney crash (hyperthyroid cats tend to have high blood pressure, which makes the kidneys work harder--while this wears them out faster, it also helps them filter more toxins if the kidneys are failing). In other words, blood tests are going to be necessary to make sure everything is balancing correctly.

As for the medication itself, methimazole/Tapazole can be compounded into a gel that is put on ears The medicine then penetrates through the skin (make sure who ever applies it is wearing gloves or finger cots so the medicine doesn't absorb through their own skin). The ears need to be cleaned regularly as the gel can build up over time and prevent absorption.

I would call around to several vets in the area and see if they can give estimates for a senior panel--bloodwork that includes a superchem, CBC and T4 test. If they do bloodwork in-house, they may be cheaper than those who send it to the lab (since the lab may set a higher price).

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cloud_shade

Unfortunately, the medication has to be prescribed by a vet, and since so many of the senior disease (diabetes, chronic renal failure, hyperthyroidism, etc.) have overlapping symptoms, I don't know of any that will prescribe medicine without bloodwork first. Often the diseases overlap--so a cat with hyperthyroidism may also have chronic renal failure. It can take a careful balance to treat the hyperthyroidism without causing a kidney crash (hyperthyroid cats tend to have high blood pressure, which makes the kidneys work harder--while this wears them out faster, it also helps them filter more toxins if the kidneys are failing). In other words, blood tests are going to be necessary to make sure everything is balancing correctly.

As for the medication itself, methimazole/Tapazole can be compounded into a gel that is put on ears The medicine then penetrates through the skin (make sure who ever applies it is wearing gloves or finger cots so the medicine doesn't absorb through their own skin). The ears need to be cleaned regularly as the gel can build up over time and prevent absorption.

I would call around to several vets in the area and see if they can give estimates for a senior panel--bloodwork that includes a superchem, CBC and T4 test. If they do bloodwork in-house, they may be cheaper than those who send it to the lab (since the lab may set a higher price).
Couldn't have said it any better myself!

I agree that she should be taken in for a senior panel. I can't think of any vet who would prescribe medication for thyroid without doing a thorough exam, including bloodwork. Renal failure, diabetes and hyperthyroid all have similar symptoms, and, as Cloudshade said, treating one could cause the delicate balance to change and exacerbate one of those other geriatric diseases.

Good luck to you and Patches. I sincerely hope you can get a diagnosis and start treatment for her soon.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
cloud_shade hit it right on the nose.

Definitely call around for price comparison. Even if you're in the car for 5 minutes longer, its better than paying $100 more!

Beauty was recently diagnosed with hyperthyroidism earlier this year. She had lost a lot of weight in the previous year and it just seemed more than me regulating her diet.

She started off as being slightly hyperthyroitic, but within 6 months she went to very hyperthyrotic. We use the gel that cloud_shade described and it is very easy. The trick is remembering to do it

Also keep in mind too that you may be in for a couple of vet visits. If the dosage isn't enough to control the hyperthyroid you may be revisiting the vet, trying new doses and then returning back to the vet until the right dosage is found.