Do you ever find yourself..

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Accidentaly calling one of your furbabies by another ones name, one that has passed away? I don't do it to Charlie as the whole being a boy thing remind me, but i've done it to Cleo a couple of times, calling her Jazzy. It rarely happens but when it does i feel like a bad mum. Or maybe i'm not, as it means i'm still remembering and missing them.

Does this happen to you?

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You shouldn't feel bad; sometimes people just get tongue-tied. I've called my boys "good girls" more than once! Actually, I also think I've called them "good puppies", too! I've never had a cat pass before, so I don't have any experience with that.

I think I've mentioned this before, but no one should feel bad about calling anything the wrong name until you've done what my mother has. On more than one occasion when she's been frustrated or annoyed at me or my sister, she's accidentally called us "Lady" which is my (now late) dog's name!

I swear, nothing stops a conflict faster than, "Did you just call me the dog's name?".

Tricia

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Green Bunny

You shouldn't feel bad; sometimes people just get tongue-tied. I've called my boys "good girls" more than once! Actually, I also think I've called them "good puppies", too! I've never had a cat pass before, so I don't have any experience with that.

I think I've mentioned this before, but no one should feel bad about calling anything the wrong name until you've done what my mother has. On more than one occasion when she's been frustrated or annoyed at me or my sister, she's accidentally called us "Lady" which is my (now late) dog's name!

I swear, nothing stops a conflict faster than, "Did you just call me the dog's name?".

Tricia
No i mean calling them a name of a pet that's just passed away. Jazzy has been gone 7 months and i got her name mixed with Cleos.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think it makes you a bad mum

I do at times, not cats that passed away but the ones I had to leave with my exhusband.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dragoriana

Accidentaly calling one of your furbabies by another ones name, one that has passed away? I don't do it to Charlie as the whole being a boy thing remind me, but i've done it to Cleo a couple of times, calling her Jazzy. It rarely happens but when it does i feel like a bad mum. Or maybe i'm not, as it means i'm still remembering and missing them.

Does this happen to you?
Yes, I've done that before! But I've always thought of it as them letting me know they were remembering and thinking of me, in a psychic sort of way.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, it doesn't mean you a bad mom, and it doesn't meant that you love Cleo any less. I still catch myself calling Harley "Jasper" sometimes (Jasper was my first cat and only cat that has passed). It just means that you still love Jazzy and always will. And 7 months isn't a very long time so she is probably still on your mind alot.

And, truthfully, I don't think cats really care what they are called...they just feel the love you give them.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I still call one "Fred" occasionally if they are being really good.
We had nicknamed Scooter "Poot" just being silly from a Ron White comedy bit. Apparently he did not care for it, and began to give us dirty looks and ignore us after a while. We began calling him Scooter all the time now, and it is so weird, he acts like a different cat. He is still a snippy little brat sometimes, but is much more receptive to being petted and held.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I call Linus, Flippy quite often. Although Linus doesn't look much like Flip did he has a similar personality and loves to do many of the same things.
It's funny though because I get quite a strange look from Linus everytime I do it.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've done that with Luna. I've called her duchess by mistake and it's been 2 years. Don't feel bad. I think it's more unconscious than anything and it just means you still think about them and wish they were there.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Or they did something that made you unconsciously remind you of them

Luna is my first cat and I had guinea pigs before her. So if I'm calling her Bella or Daphne (or any of our other cats) I know I'm nuts. If it were cats to cats though, that would be a different story.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a dream about her a couple of nights ago, it woke me up and i was all teary
well..crying actually..makes me sound wussy but i don't care