Early Christmas Arrival! (gecko)

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey guys!
My boyfriend decided he wanted to get me a pet for christmas....of the reptilian kinds
so we agreed that we'd each pay for half and get one together (he bought me the tank). I got to pick him out

We got an albino leopard gecko, and we decided he's a he...even if he's really a she. His name is Rawr! We've only had him for a few days, but I'm already getting attached to him...he even ate the day after we got him. Gotta get some more itty bitty crickets for him tomorrow

Here's some pictures

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not to ruin your gift... But where did your boyfriend buy the gecko from? If he bought it from Petsmart or Petco you'll want to collect a fecal sample and take it to a herp vet. Leos from Petco are known to usually have internal parasites.

Good luck with your little boy or girl, and hopefully it's chowing down on crickets in no time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thanks for the concern, but we got him from a very good reptile and saltwater place not too far from my apartment. I'm ALWAYS amazed as to how clean their tanks are and how well cared for the animals seem...no worries for parasites

I wish there were more reptile vets out there, apparently the only local one isn't even worth going to and people drive for about an hour to get to a good one

Oh! And he started eating almost immediately...just jumps after those crickets! Gotta pick some up for him today, and some calcium powder.

katzyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My friend got a gecko about three months ago, from Petco, I believe, and she says it hasn't eaten for two and a half months, yet she find poo pretty often, enough so to bring it in to school and run a fecal on it every now and then.

How does that work? Wouldn't they have to be eating -something- to make fecal material? He looks a little thin, but not as thin as I would think, if he hasn't been eating for two and a half months...

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Katzyn

My friend got a gecko about three months ago, from Petco, I believe, and she says it hasn't eaten for two and a half months, yet she find poo pretty often, enough so to bring it in to school and run a fecal on it every now and then.

How does that work? Wouldn't they have to be eating -something- to make fecal material? He looks a little thin, but not as thin as I would think, if he hasn't been eating for two and a half months...
Because of how the species is, their thick tail that stores fat, they can go a while without food, but it's not optimal to allow that -they can have the same problem any other animal that stops eating for a long period of time gets.

Please print this recipe out for your friend http://www.reptilerooms.com/forumtopic-27659.html

Ask her about her gecko's cage temperature and whether it's getting enough light. It's likely in winter slow down (their form of hibernation), too cold to digest food properly, or could have too heavy of a load of parasites. Because the gecko is getting thin, urge her to get the gecko to a vet.

Sylorna, just because the cages look clean at the petstore, never say never so to speak.

Some smaller petstores get their geckos from mill breeders too and there's always the worry that they or the breeder used infested insects. So have a vet number on hand just in case.
Have you been bitten by the 'gecko bug' yet? The urge to get another one or half dozen more?

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
nope, but there's a major issue with my deep need for a uromastyx...it's what I would have gotten if I had the room and my boyfriend had the wallet for it. I've been trying to mentally rearrange my furnature so I can fit his bed, desk, dresser, TV, soon to be 40gal with bearded dragon, and our little man into this apartment PLUS a 40-65 gal for a Uro....I don't think it will work, but I REALLY want it to!
I'm very happy with just my one little guy...he's handsome and is sooo excited about crickets. He even lets me pet his head (not handling him yet, I'm going to give him some time). Love him muchly!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sylorna

nope, but there's a major issue with my deep need for a uromastyx...it's what I would have gotten if I had the room and my boyfriend had the wallet for it. I've been trying to mentally rearrange my furnature so I can fit his bed, desk, dresser, TV, soon to be 40gal with bearded dragon, and our little man into this apartment PLUS a 40-65 gal for a Uro....I don't think it will work, but I REALLY want it to!
Hmm, you're going to need to upgrade the beardie to a larger cage eventually. That's going to take up a lot of room, plus adding another lizard that will need similar sized housing.

You might want to look into making or buying large custom cages that can sit above each other with front opening doors -use your vertical space.
If you look around you may be able to find pictures of people's reptile cages.

Just a suggestion for when you eventually decide to get a uromastyx, see if any need adopting.
(I suggest this to everyone
) If you have any questions about your new leo, feel free to ask.

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Hmm, you're going to need to upgrade the beardie to a larger cage eventually. That's going to take up a lot of room, plus adding another lizard that will need similar sized housing.

You might want to look into making or buying large custom cages that can sit above each other with front opening doors -use your vertical space.
If you look around you may be able to find pictures of people's reptile cages.

Just a suggestion for when you eventually decide to get a uromastyx, see if any need adopting.
(I suggest this to everyone
) If you have any questions about your new leo, feel free to ask.
Yeah, I've seen those kinds of cages online....maybe when I have a house I'll build some
I just can't imagine having to move those with any regularity. I guess that's true for any large tank mind you.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^I have a large 60 gal aquarium in storage. The thing is a pain in the butt to move around -it takes two people. Due to limited space, I really can't use it at this time.

Another suggestion, once you're settled in somewhere, is old store display cases. These usually have locks on them already and just need a little refurbishing and modification for lights. They make very nice looking cages.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww, I love geckos! And he is so pretty!! Now, I'm not a reptile person, so I have no advice for you, but how big will he grow? When I lived in the tropics the ones there only got to 5" or 6". Will this one grow bigger? I never kept one as a pet intentionally, but I did rescue quite a few from my house before the cats made them the "toy of the evening".

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gecko! That just brings to mind a Law and Order show where Logan (Chris Noth) tells Brisco (Jerry Orbach) that he was awakened the night before at his girlfriend's apt. because she had a gecko that she kept to each the roaches!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Now, I'm not a reptile person, so I have no advice for you, but how big will he grow? When I lived in the tropics the ones there only got to 5" or 6". Will this one grow bigger?
9-10 1/2 inches, depending on male or female -though that doesn't make much difference in a well cared for pet. Depending on the breeding stock it's out of there may be a slim possiblity it could get larger, though those that breed the giants learn to spot characteristics even in hatchlings.