TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › I am sick and tired of labels!!!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I am sick and tired of labels!!!!!

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
This really has been bothering me here lately. And that is people labeling other people. Why why why do we do this? Is it because we are insecure about ourselves or something. Here is a example that it being talked about:

Jennifer Love Hewitt is fat:
http://www.people.com/people/article...164640,00.html
(this one has user comments posted)
http://www.tmz.com/2007/11/28/its-jennifer-love-hewitt/
http://www.rightwingnews.com/mt331/2..._fat_or_ho.php

Ok to me she is so not fat. She looks great, healthy IMO. But the way society is if she lost a ton of weight because of this then they would call her anorexic. Why do we (society) say such things about other people. I know JLH is probably pretty upset over this. I would be if someone told me I was fat when I knew I wasn't.

Or here is another one first she gets talked about because is was to big (and I admit she was a little overweight) then she lost alot of weight with diet and exercise. And now people talk about her because of how much she lost. Or that she must have really had surgery or taken diet pills or did cocaine (and yes I read all the above comments made about her). So people were not happy with her when she was overweight and they are not happy now that she has lost weight.
Before:
http://www.starpulse.com/Actresses/P...issa/Pictures/

After:
http://www.melissapeterman.net/news/latest/
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Melis...oy-10899.shtml

I think she looks great either way but am proud for her on losing the weight if that is really what she wanted to do and not for pressure. And great for her on losing it without drugs and surgery. Thats how I lost weight. Some people just can never be happy.

And don't even get me started on the many other labels this society gives people (women) we all know the names and I am not sure I can post them here. Why must we degrade other women like that. And you hardly ever hear men get called the same names.
post #2 of 26
I know i heard about this a while back. It really irritates me that people worship twigs like Paris Hilton/Nicole Richie, they have no substance, and NO body fat!

I am a cuddly girl, and i am secure enough in myself to say that JLH is a very attractive person and she has a body i would kill to have (if i had a personal trainer and no chocolate lol)

Society is so washed up in appearances they've forgotten about personality, skills, and a hell of alot more.

The thing is, i dont think people are making these comments because she is fat (she isn't), i think they just wish they had curves like her, instead of looking like washboards

Leave all the healthy people alone!
post #3 of 26
IMO I think a lot of hollywood looks anorexic.

As for being fat, that's just hype and shallowness of people talking. Personally I LOVED it when I read about angelina jolie's pants splitting..not because I hate her, but because wow, a celeb that has weight issues like you and I [btw...I was going to post the link, but just read that the pants splitting was an inaccurate statement...it did not happen]

Anyway if JHL is fat, then so am I. Aside from some muscle (her) I pretty much have the same "flab" in the same areas.
post #4 of 26
Oh dear... she isn't fat in the slightest. It's like when Britney came out on MTV in her sparkle bikini and danced. She wasn't fat either.


I'm done with weight issues. I'm going to eat in moderation, exercise three times a week, and enjoy my life. If I get labeled "fat" then so be it.
post #5 of 26
she is a size 2. far from fat.
as for Paris Hilton, i really dont know one male person in real life that thinks she is cute.
But remember they said the same about spears return to the MTV awards.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/images/324354.jpg sorry does not look fat to me
post #6 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by theimp98 View Post
she is a size 2. far from fat.
as for Paris Hilton, i really dont know one male person in real life that thinks she is cute.
But remember they said the same about spears return to the MTV awards.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/images/324354.jpg sorry does not look fat to me
I agree. I mean she has completely screwed up her life, but body wise, not too bad. She has had two kids and she eats alot of junk food! She isn't fat
post #7 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by theimp98 View Post
she is a size 2. far from fat.
as for Paris Hilton, i really dont know one male person in real life that thinks she is cute.
But remember they said the same about spears return to the MTV awards.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/images/324354.jpg sorry does not look fat to me
I'll admit at being shallow for saying, that while I don't think she's fat, the outfit doesn't flatter.

Like Dragonia said though, she still looks good for having 2 kids and eating junk food.
post #8 of 26
lol the the outfit doesn't flatter. i agree. but not fat.
granted not all guys are going to think the same, But really i would perfer spears in that pic over hilton.
post #9 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by theimp98 View Post
lol the the outfit doesn't flatter. i agree. but not fat.
granted not all guys are going to think the same, But really i would perfer spears in that pic over hilton.
something to hold or a skeleton? That's the true question
post #10 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunasmom View Post
something to hold or a skeleton? That's the true question
i guess it a way it does always come down to that.
But I think when they run around says Jennifer Love Hewitt, spears, Tyra Banks, are fat.
and we wonder why we have so many kids with eating disorders.
post #11 of 26
There is no way she wears a size 2. I don't think she's fat, really, but she isn't skinny by a long-shot.

By hollywood standards, she is fat, though if you look at all the bloggers and paparazzi and other such lowlife who are calling her that, she's smokin' compared to them!
post #12 of 26
I wish people would look a little harder at a persons inner beauty. Just because society as a whole may label someone as being pretty - for whatever reason - doesn't actually make them a beautiful person where it really counts.

I think it's a part of human nature to "label" people as fat, or thin, or ugly, or gorgeous.... don't ask me why.... I think it's down to the part of us that makes judgements about people without meeting them and knowing them.

But I think there's a certain beauty in every figure if you know how to dress to make the very most of what you've been blessed with JLH, smokin'! Bad outfit. But that's definitely not a basis on which to call her "fat"
post #13 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunasmom View Post
I'll admit at being shallow for saying, that while I don't think she's fat, the outfit doesn't flatter.

Like Dragonia said though, she still looks good for having 2 kids and eating junk food.
That outfit should have been ripped off her body and burned. If she would have come out in a tight pair of pants and a corset she would have been beautiful.
post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingglass View Post
That outfit should have been ripped off her body and burned. If she would have come out in a tight pair of pants and a corset she would have been beautiful.
Yes...she would have looked much better in that.
post #15 of 26
Here we go again...another "I hate skinny people" thread in disguise. You guys kill me, talking about labels, but you are doing exactly what you claim to hate-labeling skinny people!!!! Most of the time I try to ignore it, but you know what? This time I am going to speak my mind because some days it just gets old, & this is one of those days.
How can you have the nerve to label a group of peolpe that you don't even know, especially when you close your minds & call them names & assume things about them before you even know who they are? Why? because you may be insecure about your own bodies? We are ALL insecure about our bodies, so get over it.
I am one of those skinny people that you are so fond of labeling as anorexic, twiggy, stick figure, not a REAL woman, blah blah blah! I was born this way & will probably die this way & no, I don't starve myself, I probably eat better quality food than you think I do. And you know what? I am also a good person. I love animals, I have friends & family & am a talented artist & I am a real woman, thank you very much, & if you called me any of those names to my face I'd knock you out.
So don't start a thread about labels before you know the other side of the story.
post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopCat View Post
Here we go again...another "I hate skinny people" thread in disguise.
hmmmm no, the thread was about the media putting labels on people and calling them fat when they are not.
post #17 of 26
Yes, I understand where you are coming from. However, you are not in the stigmatized group here. You are socially acceptable simply because of the way you are. Fat people, generally, are not accepted often for the way they are. Both are usually the result of the same thing - genes.

I would never tell anyone what they should and should not eat, how they should wear this or not wear that because it is more pleasing to another's eyes. I don't care how celebrities or anyone else dresses. There are many other priorities in this world.

Woman as a whole are constantly being told how we can be better: skinny legs? wear this. Fat tummy? Wear this to slim. Look at magazine covers - women are never good enough according to those. Look at all the acceptable jokes on our favorite tv shows, it is still perfectly okay to bash the fatties.

Children, girls in general, are dieting as early as the age of 10. Adolescent girls are taught that their bodies aren't good enough and this follows them into adulthood. The diet industry in this country is in the billions of dollars. There IS a problem here.

If you, as one of the accepted, don't like the fact that larger people are standing up for their rights, well that is okay. Just don't expect me to shush because of that.

You may be one of the thin people who never laughs at, or tells, a fat joke, never suggests to a fat friend that they eat something different or not at all (if you have fat friends), never points and says under her breath "What made her think she can wear that?". If you are, this is wonderful.

I wish more people would work together and get over the intense focus of physical perfection. Imagine what we could do in the world if we were freed from that. Imagine where the money from the billion-dollar diet industry could be used.

The OP said - Why must we degrade other women like that.
This is true, women perpetuate this more than men. I don't know why we have to put another woman down to feel better about ourselves. This could be why I no longer have friends, although I long for them. I just cannot do the whole catty thing any longer. We need to find the beauty in everyone. If a person is a jerk, fine but their personality is not how they appear.

(hope some of this was on topic. just woke up from a lovely Saturday nap with two precious kits)
post #18 of 26
Sometimes on this board I do feel a part of a stigmatized group. If I did make insensitive comments about overweight people, I'd probably get kicked off the board. I don't concern myself much with Hollywood or magazine covers & don't look at myself as one of the accepted. I look at myself & others as people, whatever the situation may be. I was offended by the comments & will have to leave it at that.
We shouldn't spend so much mental effort on what goes on in Hollywood or in the magazines anyway-it's not realistic for anyone, no matter what their weight may be.
post #19 of 26
that good, But really shopcat, if young people are being told, that people like spears, banks, etc, are overweight when they are in fact normal or even below normal.

what you end up with, is what i seen at the mall more then i care, which is young women passing out, cause as one girl said, I am to fat, i need to wear that size 0.

that is the result of the media , sticking this stuff in are faces.
post #20 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopCat View Post
Here we go again...another "I hate skinny people" thread in disguise. You guys kill me, talking about labels, but you are doing exactly what you claim to hate-labeling skinny people!!!! Most of the time I try to ignore it, but you know what? This time I am going to speak my mind because some days it just gets old, & this is one of those days.
How can you have the nerve to label a group of peolpe that you don't even know, especially when you close your minds & call them names & assume things about them before you even know who they are? Why? because you may be insecure about your own bodies? We are ALL insecure about our bodies, so get over it.
I am one of those skinny people that you are so fond of labeling as anorexic, twiggy, stick figure, not a REAL woman, blah blah blah! I was born this way & will probably die this way & no, I don't starve myself, I probably eat better quality food than you think I do. And you know what? I am also a good person. I love animals, I have friends & family & am a talented artist & I am a real woman, thank you very much, & if you called me any of those names to my face I'd knock you out.
So don't start a thread about labels before you know the other side of the story.
Ummm no that is not why I started this thread. I started this because I am tired of labels period. Whether the label is calling people fat, skinny, whores, emo etc. I am sick and tired of all the labels.
post #21 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965 View Post
Yes, I understand where you are coming from. However, you are not in the stigmatized group here. You are socially acceptable simply because of the way you are. Fat people, generally, are not accepted often for the way they are. Both are usually the result of the same thing - genes.

I would never tell anyone what they should and should not eat, how they should wear this or not wear that because it is more pleasing to another's eyes. I don't care how celebrities or anyone else dresses. There are many other priorities in this world.

Woman as a whole are constantly being told how we can be better: skinny legs? wear this. Fat tummy? Wear this to slim. Look at magazine covers - women are never good enough according to those. Look at all the acceptable jokes on our favorite tv shows, it is still perfectly okay to bash the fatties.

Children, girls in general, are dieting as early as the age of 10. Adolescent girls are taught that their bodies aren't good enough and this follows them into adulthood. The diet industry in this country is in the billions of dollars. There IS a problem here.

If you, as one of the accepted, don't like the fact that larger people are standing up for their rights, well that is okay. Just don't expect me to shush because of that.

You may be one of the thin people who never laughs at, or tells, a fat joke, never suggests to a fat friend that they eat something different or not at all (if you have fat friends), never points and says under her breath "What made her think she can wear that?". If you are, this is wonderful.

I wish more people would work together and get over the intense focus of physical perfection. Imagine what we could do in the world if we were freed from that. Imagine where the money from the billion-dollar diet industry could be used.

The OP said - Why must we degrade other women like that.
This is true, women perpetuate this more than men. I don't know why we have to put another woman down to feel better about ourselves. This could be why I no longer have friends, although I long for them. I just cannot do the whole catty thing any longer. We need to find the beauty in everyone. If a person is a jerk, fine but their personality is not how they appear.

(hope some of this was on topic. just woke up from a lovely Saturday nap with two precious kits)
Bonnie I think you said everything I could have said just better. Why do we concern ourselves with how other people look or what they wear. As long as that person is comfortable in their own skin and clothes that should be all that matters.

I was over at a diet forum and there was a thread about fashion trends that they all hate. And it was a 9 page bash fest about what clothes people where and how ugly people look in them. And I tell you it hit close to home because I wear a lot of what they hated (ripped jeans, straight leg jeans, band shirts, ankle boots, combat boots, camo pants etc.) but I did not let it bother me because I have always dressed this way and I just don't care what society thinks of how I dress. I don't label what I wear in any style just this is what I like and I will wear it period.

Shopcat: You may not be concerned with what Hollywood says (and generally neither am I) but lots of people are. Especially young girls. And these young girls get it in there head that there is only acceptable way to look. They will developed eating disorders, die, cause life long harm to their body trying to become these images that Hollywood and society say they must look like. And I don't know about you but it is so very sad to see this happen to younger generations.
post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by theimp98 View Post
that good, But really shopcat, if young people are being told, that people like spears, banks, etc, are overweight when they are in fact normal or even below normal.

what you end up with, is what i seen at the mall more then i care, which is young women passing out, cause as one girl said, I am to fat, i need to wear that size 0.

that is the result of the media , sticking this stuff in are faces.


Exactly. The purpose of this thread is why do women with an ounce of fat on them get labeled as being "fat" BY THE MEDIA and when they're skinny, get labeled as anorexic or bulimic. There seems to be few inbetweens or the media calling them "normal".

The time during junior high and high school, pretty much most girls are heavily into the TV/Movies/Music. They see these women, they hear the media say how hot someone is and the boys they have crushes on repeat how hot so-and-so is
They start to strive to that image. They throw up, they starve themselves. The epidemic is worse that you might think and the skinnier women in hollywood get the worse it will become.

I'm a skinny person and I'm not offended in the least bit by this thread.
post #23 of 26
I joined WW when I was 15. I am 5'3" and lost 51 pounds in 52 weeks then. I work all the time to eat healthy and look good and I am now 50. I wear an 8P. I am not skinny, I am healthy, shapely, and even get wolf whistles every now and again. Hollywood, Schmallywood. I am happy being who I am and my husband positively glows if he is in within hearing distance of those whistles.
I love you Jennifer Love Hewitt!
post #24 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by butzie View Post
I joined WW when I was 15. I am 5'3" and lost 51 pounds in 52 weeks then. I work all the time to eat healthy and look good and I am now 50. I wear an 8P. I am not skinny, I am healthy, shapely, and even get wolf whistles every now and again. Hollywood, Schmallywood. I am happy being who I am and my husband positively glows if he is in within hearing distance of those whistles.
I love you Jennifer Love Hewitt!

You go girl!

If only more women could be content with what they've got. There is a lot of media that puts a certain pressure on girls (at progressively younger ages too) to be thin and wear make-up and dress skimpily etc. I've noticed (certainly here) that there are ten year olds running around worrying about their weight and their make-up and how big their breats are, or if not, then why not. They're TEN!! They're trying to grow up younger and younger and become walking adverts for paedophilia. That's a scary thing! So many teens are worried and depressed about the way their body is put together that they do develop eating disorders - and although it's predominantly girls, boys suffer as well. Why are they all so concerned with dating and sex and being thin and attractive - instead of being real kids?

It's the Hollywood "labels" that tend to make people look at themselves and make comparisons.

I would really love to see more REAL women around on red carpets and catwalks. I think there should be more campaigning to show that every shape is beautiful.
post #25 of 26
I don't think this is an I hate skinny people thread at all. Being a size zero, and being able to fit into what most of what the "it" girls in Hollywood wear is nice. However, my size shouldn't be seen as normal. It's far from. We need to learn to accept people with bumps, curves, rolls, or the lack there of. Saying that JLH is fat makes me sick. She isn't.
post #26 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopCat View Post
Here we go again...another "I hate skinny people" thread in disguise. You guys kill me, talking about labels, but you are doing exactly what you claim to hate-labeling skinny people!!!! Most of the time I try to ignore it, but you know what? This time I am going to speak my mind because some days it just gets old, & this is one of those days.
How can you have the nerve to label a group of peolpe that you don't even know, especially when you close your minds & call them names & assume things about them before you even know who they are? Why? because you may be insecure about your own bodies? We are ALL insecure about our bodies, so get over it.
I am one of those skinny people that you are so fond of labeling as anorexic, twiggy, stick figure, not a REAL woman, blah blah blah! I was born this way & will probably die this way & no, I don't starve myself, I probably eat better quality food than you think I do. And you know what? I am also a good person. I love animals, I have friends & family & am a talented artist & I am a real woman, thank you very much, & if you called me any of those names to my face I'd knock you out.
So don't start a thread about labels before you know the other side of the story.
I'm one of those persons that people thought they were complimenting by saying "oh, you're so skinny" but I didn't get that as being what this thread was about. I do agree though, that calling someone is skinny is as bad as calling them fat IMO

JLH, IMO, is beautiful and has an awesome figure. I would rather see JLH' body type than Paris, Nicole or even Angelina. They say the camera adds 10 pounds so I can only imagine how awful those skinny girls look in real life - YUCK! But that is just my personal preference.

Hollywood is no example to follow in any regard IMO.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › I am sick and tired of labels!!!!!