Raw to Kibble

jasmine's mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does anyone have any idea how I should go about switching my cat from RAW to Kibble/Moist food? I fully believe that raw is the way to go... and my cat has been doing fantastic on it (so I'm not knocking raw)... but I just don't have any good friends or family close by that can give her the pucks (nature's variety) when we are out of town... which we are pretty frequently.

On a dog forum a friend of mine has switched their dog back to kibble when necessary by fasting them for 24 hours and then feeding the kibble. But I'm not sure if this is too long for a cat to go?

Any ideas/suggestions as to the best way to switch her back? I'll be switching her back to her EVO.

Thanks in advance!
Sandra

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
try to add some dry a little at a time....

Are you going somewhere ??? NV come s in easy to feed medallions and I just do see why you cant have someone give her that

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jasmine's mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
sharky... that's what kitty is getting now... the NV medalions. My hubby and I go visit my mom once a month... and with Xmas...we'd like to go up on Xmas eve and then come home early on Boxing day. But that would mean that I can't feed kitty all of Xmas day... which I *think* is too long to go without food, esp. when feeding raw (since it's only in the body for about 5 hours). I do have a friend coming in... but I just *hate* asking. I worry that it's too much of a bother. I moved to this area a few years ago... so no family in the area, and don't have any good friends (just not good at making them). To pay someone to come in costs $25 for half an hour. Which will get quite costly, esp. if they come in twice a day... and esp. considering that $25 will almost feed my cat for a month.

I love the raw food... she's doing so much better on it... I just don't know how to properly get thru these times when we are away for a whole day or a day and a half.

I'd love it if I could find a timed pet feeder dish... that opens at certain times (but is refridgerated).

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
talk to your freind .. truely the medallions are very simliar to canned which most folks have no issue ... your not asking her to chop meat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jasmine's mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Sharky... I appreciate your input. I did talk to my friend earlier today... and she's gonna come in on Xmas day. I just hate putting ppl out ya know? Maybe some day I can return the favour for her.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jasmine's Mom

I'd love it if I could find a timed pet feeder dish... that opens at certain times (but is refridgerated).
There is such a thing - you freeze little ice packs filled with liquid or gel, and put them in the feeder when you set the timer. They'd probably only be good for half a day, though.

pee-cleaner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You bring your friend a nice basket of goodies, perhaps a gift card to someplace decadent---I'll bet she has NO problem feeding the cat!
Honestly, I take care of my neighbor's herd of 30 pedigreed kitties for days at a time and I find it no real problem.

Have fun!

eggytoast

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Most people feel that doing *anything* with the litter box is worst than handling any food

One of the things I like the most about raw and "human grade" wet food is that it smells like food. I can't imagine I'll cook it up for myself one day, but it's nice that their food smells like something you eat, instead of smelling like whatever kibble smells like. I'm sure anyone helping you feed your cats would feel similarly.

misskiwi67

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If feeding a raw medallion was all I asked my petsitter to do, they'd probably be in heaven!!! I have a colony of breeding geckos (9 cages) that need food mixed up, split into appropriate portions, and then every cage needs misted and their lay boxes checked for eggs.

I am currently having some pre-veterinary students watch my animals for volunteer hours. Sometimes you just have to be creative, or just ASK if they're comfortable. Most people who are willing to help are going to be just fine with feeding what you feed. It might be new and strange, but thats OK.

mezlo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jasmine's Mom

As jcat said, there are several out there. Do a Google search for "automatic pet feeder ice" and you'll get quite a few results.

Mez