TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Dryer advice
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dryer advice

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
How do you choose a new dryer? Mom's is on it's last leg. I can't even tell you how old it is. I know it outlasted the washer. I know it's a gas unit. I am looking for deals online but have no clue what to look for in specs. I know we can't go over a certain depth but that isn't included in searches. LoL

Any advice or recommendations?
post #2 of 11
I have sears brand kenmore, I have had them for 15 years, never a problem.
post #3 of 11
Mine is a sears also I bought it when I got my new front load washing macine-no problems so far!!
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbjerkness View Post
I have sears brand kenmore, I have had them for 15 years, never a problem.
Kudos!!!

Have always used Kenmore... Keep in mind, w/ today's technology, more and more washers and dryers are coming w/ more options and those options include sensors which are basically attached to programmed circuit boards.

This means, more to "possibly" go wrong. I, personally would avoid options you know she will not use. Keep it simple if all she wants to do is "dry" clothes.

For me.... I can fix most "movable" parts but not the circuit boards... well.... atleast haven't had to yet
post #5 of 11
First you want to make sure it's the right dimensions to fit into the space needed.

Next you want to look at physical needs.

Do you want one with limited settings? Those are often cheaper to buy. Or do you want one that has lots of options as to heat/air etc. The more options on a machine the more expensive the unit is usually.

How big of a drum do you want? Some machines even though they look small have large drums inside, while others have smaller ones.

If it's just her she probably doesn't need a full size dryer. So you might consider downsizing to a smaller one.

Obviously you want to decide between gas or electric. Personally I prefer electric because gas appliances only contribute to our gas shortages etc.

Look for something "energy efficient"

Colour? White or something else?

Brand? Whirlpool is a good brand, so is Kenmore and GE.
post #6 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca View Post
First you want to make sure it's the right dimensions to fit into the space needed.

Next you want to look at physical needs.

Do you want one with limited settings? Those are often cheaper to buy. Or do you want one that has lots of options as to heat/air etc. The more options on a machine the more expensive the unit is usually.

How big of a drum do you want? Some machines even though they look small have large drums inside, while others have smaller ones.

If it's just her she probably doesn't need a full size dryer. So you might consider downsizing to a smaller one.

Obviously you want to decide between gas or electric. Personally I prefer electric because gas appliances only contribute to our gas shortages etc.

Look for something "energy efficient"

Colour? White or something else?

Brand? Whirlpool is a good brand, so is Kenmore and GE.
I started with measuring the current one. So I know what depth to go with. I would love to find one not as wide. (more room for litter pans)

She has no clue what capacity she has or wants. I thought I would start searching now before it goes. It's taking double the time to dry the same load sizes than before. I figured she would want Gas since that is what she has. The washer and dryer both came from Sears which is where I was just looking.

Knowing her she will want white. That's what we currently have. Hmm to many choices these days. LoL
post #7 of 11
Have you checked the filters? Once they become clogged with lint and dust, the air doesn't circulate as freely and it takes longer to dry. There are more than just the one in the front of the machine. You need to look in the exhaust line too.
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweets View Post
Have you checked the filters? Once they become clogged with lint and dust, the air doesn't circulate as freely and it takes longer to dry. There are more than just the one in the front of the machine. You need to look in the exhaust line too.
Yep! A clogged dryer filter will definitely reduce the capacity to dry things.

Also, it's important to get into the filter area with a vacuum cleaner crevice tool and suck out the lint that is trapped that you can't readily see.

My dryer filter is on the inside of the dryer at the back of the drum. I notice that when I remove it to clean it that there is still lint trapped in the spaces that surround the actual lint filter.
post #9 of 11
Thread Starter 
Yep I clean the filter after each use and also vacuumed the trap below and the filter opening. The hose looks like it's going to crumble. LoL The dryer is over 20 years old.
post #10 of 11
I just looked at consumer reports for dryers.

Their quick pick:
GE Profile DPSE810EG ($550). Great drying but noisier than some.

Recommendations:
GE Profile Harmony ($800)
Kenmore Elite Oasis 6706 ($800)
Maytag Neptune ($800)
Kenmore Elite Oasis 6703 ($600)
Maytag Epic ($800)

The best one under $500 is the Amana ($430) and ranked #16. Others under that price range were rated #26-#30.
post #11 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momofmany View Post
I just looked at consumer reports for dryers.

Their quick pick:
GE Profile DPSE810EG ($550). Great drying but noisier than some.

Recommendations:
GE Profile Harmony ($800)
Kenmore Elite Oasis 6706 ($800)
Maytag Neptune ($800)
Kenmore Elite Oasis 6703 ($600)
Maytag Epic ($800)

The best one under $500 is the Amana ($430) and ranked #16. Others under that price range were rated #26-#30.
Wow thanks so much. That really narrows it down.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Dryer advice