TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › are these love bites?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

are these love bites?

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
I am not sure about my little feral Gus (formerly known as Paws) I kittynapped him 11 days ago , he has become very snuggly, he loves to be petted, but after a few minutes he starts nibbling on me, sometimes he's gentle other times, it hurts, are these love bites?
post #2 of 12
I would say they are love bites..Trout does that too..and she is purring at the same time
post #3 of 12
My former feral, Ferris, gives me love bites when I'm petting him.

In the beginning, he didn't realize how hard he was nipping, and I would jump, scared that he was "biting" me, which would scare the furry pants off him and he'd run away with a wild-eyed look of fear.

Over time, he learned to just put his teeth on me rather than actually nip, and I learned to trust him when he was giving me lovies in the way only he knows how. Now I will give him my hand to mouth when I am petting him, and he is very careful not to bite hard.

Isn't feline love grand?
post #4 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingersMom View Post
My former feral, Ferris, gives me love bites when I'm petting him.

In the beginning, he didn't realize how hard he was nipping, and I would jump, scared that he was "biting" me, which would scare the furry pants off him and he'd run away with a wild-eyed look of fear.

Over time, he learned to just put his teeth on me rather than actually nip, and I learned to trust him when he was giving me lovies in the way only he knows how. Now I will give him my hand to mouth when I am petting him, and he is very careful not to bite hard.

Isn't feline love grand?
That is what this little guy seems to be doing , he wants my finger in his mouth as I pet him, this morning he nipped really hard , when I yiped he stopped and licked my hand, I have never had a cat do this
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouts mom View Post
I would say they are love bites..Trout does that too..and she is purring at the same time
Chip purrs while he nips at my jawline... unless i put my hand there to stop him. he sometimes is gentler than others...
post #6 of 12
Our kitties give love bites when we're petting them - but for them, it's not that they want to "chew" gently on us while we're petting, it's a sign of overstimulation meaning, "no more pets" - which now means just pause for a few seconds, then gently start again.

Laurie
post #7 of 12
Maybe, mine does this but never hurts us
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbjerkness View Post
That is what this little guy seems to be doing , he wants my finger in his mouth as I pet him, this morning he nipped really hard , when I yiped he stopped and licked my hand, I have never had a cat do this
Actually, over time, as Ferris learned what "too hard" was, he would nip, realize it was a bit hard, then lick my hand as if to say, " I sowwy I bit yoo too hawd."

So yup, sounds to me like you have a lover on your hands!
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDG View Post
Our kitties give love bites when we're petting them - but for them, it's not that they want to "chew" gently on us while we're petting, it's a sign of overstimulation meaning, "no more pets" - which now means just pause for a few seconds, then gently start again.

Laurie
For me, Red just attacks and latches onto my hand. My hand is covered in scratches from him biting me.
post #10 of 12
Thread Starter 
over tha last few days, his biting as been much gentler, I say say ow and he stops. He is getting much better
post #11 of 12
I'm noticing this with Missy as well. If a finger (usually my thumb) ends up near her mouth while I'm petting her, she will lick it a few times then lightly bite the tip of it. She'll repeat this until I move the finger away. She'll also do this when she's hungry and I'm not feeding her.

Mez
post #12 of 12
Tomas does it too. I don't think he means to hurt me at all but because he grabs only a little bit of skin he ends up pinching me. He's not as bad about biting my chin and cheeks now, he still bites on my hands. Gently blowing in his face makes him let go right away.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Behavior
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › are these love bites?