Leo has a fractured leg - long

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Leo could use some major get well vibes. Leo has been our only cat that is allowed to go outdoors. We live way out in the country and he never strays far, so we thought it was safe enough for him. I check on him frequently when he's out and he comes in at night or when the weather is bad... or just if he wants to come inside.

He was fine yesterday morning and didn't want to come inside. I figured I'd let him stay out for awhile because they're forecasting a big winter storm for this weekend and yesterday was a pretty nice day. I went out to check on him around noon and couldn't find him, and he didn't come when I called. That worried me but I thought maybe he was just in the field hunting. I kept checking for him throughout the afternoon and couldn't find him.

Finally, very late last night I opened the door and Leo was laying on the porch. I was relieved, but only for a second. I told him to come on inside and he didn't move. I thought he was just really asleep so I poked him gently. He just looked at me but wouldn't stand up. So I picked him up and that's when I noticed that his leg was just kind of dangling.

Got him to the vet this morning (no ER vet nearby unfortunately), he has a fracture between the knee and hip. He has feeling in it, and luckily it wasn't a full break. So the treatment for now is cage rest and then take him back in a couple weeks to see how it's healing.

I set him up in a large dog crate with a litter box and a giant soft bed. He's eating but will only eat canned or pouched food now, he refuses to eat the dry food. It's very unlike him, but I guess as long as he's eating something that's the most important thing.

As for what happened, we really have no clue. He has no other injuries, no cuts, no missing hair, nothing.

But he could definitely use some vibes today, and if anyone has any advice for caring for him it would be greatly appreciated!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you both so much!

And I forgot to mention in my previous post, he will not be allowed outdoors anymore, except on leash. I don't want to take that chance ever again.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A couple pictures of Leo. Little Taco slept with Leo all night, and has been with him all day today. He's being a good little brother taking care of his big brother!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Leo! I hope his leg heals nicely. Poor little guy. Is he on pain medication?

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

Is he on pain medication?
He is for now, and it seems to be working. He's moving around a bit more, and flipping himself over to lay on a different side. He cries pitifully if I touch him, but I think he just wants me to feel sorry for him (which of course I do!).

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, don't beat yourself up too much about this happening outside. One of my RB kitties has a similar thing happen and she was an indoor kitty. My fiance's BIL FELL on her!. Her left hind leg was broken right above the knee, compound fracture, bone sticking out.

She had to have multiple surgeries...long story. To make thinks short, if Leo for some very unusual circumstance doesn't heal right and needs an amputation, don't hesitate to do it.

Did the vet check Leo for other injuries? I am wondering if he may have bruised ribs or something else as well as the fracture of the leg. He shouldn't be that painful to pet. He didn't need a splint or anything?

Keeping him still will be the key to healing. You might have to make him a big boxed in area as he starts to feel better. No jumping, that is the hardest one.

Sending lots of healing vibes to Leo. ( look like little Taco is taking good care of him
)

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im so sorry, I hope his leg heals quickly, the long bones are the hardest though. I have a cat BooBoo who when he was just a baby, I was going to the bathroom and I went to shut the door and his leg got slammed in there. My Hubby told me it was fine and not to worry. It healed that way. Obviously deformed, but it didn't look like it was deformed at the time. Now he walks and stands llike a pit bull on the one side. He's 7 years old and it happened when he was a kitten. If the weather gets bad his arthritis acts up and he has to have pain meds. Ive never felt so bad about anything in my whole life. I should have taken him to the vet instead of listening to idiot husband.... If it gets bothersome in the years to come I WILL have it amputated. I dont think yours will come to that and Im sending your some good healing

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much!

Did the vet check Leo for other injuries? I am wondering if he may have bruised ribs or something else as well as the fracture of the leg. He shouldn't be that painful to pet. He didn't need a splint or anything?
He has been checked all over, there were no other injuries and absolutely no signs of anything other than the fracture. It makes it even more difficult to figure out how it happened. He didn't get a splint, the vet said it was a small fracture and he feels it will heal on it's own with cage rest. But if it's not getting better when he goes back, then we'll try something else.

He seems to be feeling better, he's hopping around and using the litter box now, and is even trying to play a little with his toy mouse... while he's laying down of course.

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ohhhh good luck!! I'm sure he'll be better soon!!!!!!! And don't feel bad.....that could have happened indoors or outdoors. He is lucky he has you and his fur brothers to look after him!!!!

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he wants to play with the mousie toy while laying down, he is on the mend

He is being a very smart boy, knows his leg is hurt and is being careful of it.

I am wondering if he was being chased by something and got the leg caught in a fence or something fell just on it alone. If he got hit or a full on dog/coyote bite he would have major all over bruising if not more serious injuries.

Anything heavy tipped over or fallen off a shelf in any of the outbuildings?

In any case, it really does sound like the sweet boy is on the mend. YEAH!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear about Leo's pain!
Glad to hear he's on the mend - but I'm sending loads of "heal well and completely" vibes to Leo!

Laurie

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anything heavy tipped over or fallen off a shelf in any of the outbuildings?
I haven't found anything yet and I've looked. One thought I had was maybe he was chasing a bird or something and fell off of a shelf? I'll probably never know.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear about Leo's accident.
But I'm happy to hear that he appears to be on the mend!

Get well soon, Leo!

~KK~

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a little update, Leo is already doing so much better. The first couple days he needed help using the litter box, but he can get in and out of it now on his own with no problems. He's eating great, still getting spoiled with a little more canned food than dry, but he's eating the dry on it's own too... the first two days he wouldn't even touch dry food. We bought him a new bed yesterday, which he absolutely loves. I've been getting him out of the crate and letting him lay on our bed for awhile each day, so I can snuggle with him for a few minutes. And he's been having lots of fun batting around his toy mouse, but only tries to play laying down which is great.
Here are a couple pictures from yesterday...

In his new bed:

And this is what I saw before I went to bed last night, I had to take a picture. Leo is being very well taken care of by his brothers!