Help! I think my Dyson is broken :(

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I decided to pull out my Dyson Animal to vacuum my furniture with the furniture power tool. Only I can't get the tool to turn on.

I have pushed in and pulled out the large button on the side several times, but the brush won't turn

I only used it two times the week I got it and haven't touched it since
So I don't know why the power tool won't work anymore

Has anyone else had this problem? What did you do to get it working again? Is it the motor?

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i would love to help, but i have no idea.
Did you check there web page see if they have FAQ section?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't see anything in the manual about this problem.

I did a google search and found an online FAQ

http://www.english.dysoncanada.ca/aftersales/help.asp?article_id=2&hist=,,1

I'm following the one for Mini turbine head not working properly I've gotten up to the part about washing the filter! I just got it and only used the tool once to vacuum my furniture, I shouldn't have to wash the filter already! Anyway, I have to wait 12 hours for the filter to dry and then continue on from there.

There doesn't seem to be a motor in the turbine head. It seems to run on "suction". I was noticing that when I was vacuuming my area rug is was leaving a bit of a dust film on the carpet as I pulled the vacuum backwards.

So it might just be a case of a clogged up filter. I did pick up a whole lot of cat dander when I vacuumed the furniture, and that stuff is fine like drywall dust and clings firmly to everything.

I took the turbine head apart and went at it with an old toothbrush to remove the cat dander and dust that was clinging to it in places.

I haven't lost hope! hehe

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that could do it, if it runs on suction.
i hope it works for you,
If not they should replace it?

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I have pushed in and pulled out the large button on the side several times, but the brush won't turn
Oh are you supposed to pull that out?. I never knew and i've used it for weeks now

My brush still turns though?. Is the button your on about the filter thing which is approx 2" dia?

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you still can't figure it out, try calling the company's customer service department and see what they say. If memory serves correctly, this is a relatively new machine, isn't it? I'm guessing it may be covered under warranty if it definitely is defective.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As suggested above, if you still have a problem after the filter dries, call Dyson.
Mine has a 5 yr. warranty; what is your warranty?

I didn't know about that filter either...
I had better re-read the instructions.
It's definitely time to clean my main filter, it's been 6 months.
I kind of dread doing it.

Let us know what happens...
we must have our Dysons working properly.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fixed it!

It turns out the problem was between the vacuum and the hose. The vacuum had super suction, but the hose didn't. I removed the hose from the machine and reseated it, and now the suction strong from the hose again, and the mini turbine brush turns!

Definitely a very good site to trouble shoot. However, I wish they had started with the blockages and lose gasket seals before addressing the filter because washing the filter means you have to wait 1/2 a day before continuing on to see if the problem is resolved only to find out it isn't.

But the main thing is that my vacuum works great again and I can go and do my furniture.

I haven't vacuumed the furniture for a couple weeks. I don't know if it's just me, but even now while there is cat hair on certain favourite parts of the couch and loveseat, they still look cleaner than what they did after the same period of time after having vacuumed with my old Phantom Fury vacuum.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xocats

Your Dyson working ...
Life is good.
Yes!

I vacuumed 4 kitchen chairs, a loveseat and a sofa (which included 5 seat cushions, 5 pillow backs and 4 pillowed arms) all in 6 minutes using the turbine head! It is so nice to not have to "scrub" back and forth and stop to clean a brush numerous times. And it's so satisying to see not only cat hair in the bin, but also heaps of cat dander and dust that is being sucked out of the cushions, and not rubbed in further. I suspect that it will take time to see a decrease in the amount of dust and dander being sucked out of my furniture.

I've already noticed a noticable improvement in my allergies after just that one time of using the turbine head on them a few weeks ago. Infact, I used to sneeze numerous times on a daily basis when in my living room. I can't remember the last time I sneezed! Days and days ago at least.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mbjerkness

I am so glad it is working for you
Me too! When it comes to electric things I seem to have a curse! Every single electric item I have ever purchased on my own as had some kind of problems either immediate, during the warranty period or just mear weeks after the warranty has expired.

The only thing I have in my home that is electric that hasn't given me grief are:

1. My Mom's old Singer Sewing machine that she bought in 1962 or so. In the 1980's I started to have problems with thread breaking. Singer cleaned it, oiled it and replaced the feed foot and it's worked like a charm since.

2. My Mom's old blender that was bought in 1972.

3. My Dad's old toaster that is something like 1950's circa.

4. My TV that I bought in 2004.

Everything else that I own that is electric has had some kind of problem ither immediate, during the warranty period or just mear weeks after the warranty has expired.