Originally Posted by luvmycat1
Do you exercise? What to you do for motivation? I really need to start exercising because I'm packing on the pounds but I can't seem to get started. I can't afford a gym membership so I have a choice of walking or using my punching bag. The thought of working out makes me cringe.
I hate exercise because I can't stand sweating. I think it's so gross to sweat!
However, in September I was finally able to get into physio therapy in order to get some cardio and strenthening in because I had been on a completely no exercise order for more than 2 years while they investigated my heart. And during that time I put on more 75 pounds
Life is so hard right now because I have no stamina and get so short of breath.
I actually found myself looking forward to going to physio. I was doing 20 minutes on the treadmill and stretches and band work, in a program specifically designed for me. I found myself feeling so good about myself that I was going and able to do what I was supposed to and I found that I had lost 18 pounds without even having changed my eating habits. Of course I was following a combined Slim Fast and Jenny Craig eating plan. One or two Slim Fast shakes per day (to get my chocolate fix) and a sensible dinner which I made from recipes by Jenny Craig.
My insurance company refused to fund it anymore and I couldn't go back. I was so sad that I actually cried!
Now I have been approved to enter into a cardiac rehab program starting in January. I believe the program runs 4 months. My Blue Cross pays 80% of it and I'm responsible for the other 20%. Only there is no way I can afford to do that seeing that I just declared bankruptcy, so I qualify for a subsidy of some kind through our government. I gratefully accepted.
Once I complete that program I want to sign up for our "Refit Centre". They offer scholarships to those who are low income so that they can better afford to join. Sometimes it's completely free if the income is low enough like for those on welfare.
You should call around and see if any of the gyms or refit centres in your area offers susidies or scholarships to help pay for a membership.
You can also find cheap VHS or DVDs at second hand stores. Try looking for something by "Richard Simmons". I have a number of his videos and his stuff is paced for even the fattest of us who have no stamina for much of anything.
You can also try looking for second hand "Stott Pilates" videos. Look for beginner ones to start. Perhaps the chair exercise one and the beginner standing one.
Weights can be soup cans or bottles of water. Have several that have different levels of water in them to mimic various weights. You can also use soup cans.