Who over sees animal hospitals

bob66

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can anyone out there tell me who over sees the care provided by animal hospitals when a patient doesnt recieve proper care and is missdiagnosed .This involves my pet having to be taken to another hospital a day after he was seen and released from one of those chain hospitals. I contacted thier high ups and they refuse to admit any wrong doing. My complaint is he was sent home when he should not have been, thier defense is he wasnt as sick when he was seen by thier vet as he was the next day when I took him to his regular vet the next day.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
there are state vet bourds kinda like our medical one s

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And you do need to remember that the state of health of people and pets changes very quickly. I deal with school children and 2 hours can make a huge difference in how they feel.
I am always amazed that our vet can so quickly and accurately figure out what is going on with our critters since they don't talk and are amazingly good at hiding pain.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mom of 4

And you do need to remember that the state of health of people and pets changes very quickly. I deal with school children and 2 hours can make a huge difference in how they feel.
I am always amazed that our vet can so quickly and accurately figure out what is going on with our critters since they don't talk and are amazingly good at hiding pain.
me too .... though I do think they talk it is just humans are not too bright and havent learned their languages

charmsdad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bob66

Can anyone out there tell me who over sees the care provided by animal hospitals when a patient doesnt recieve proper care and is missdiagnosed .This involves my pet having to be taken to another hospital a day after he was seen and released from one of those chain hospitals. I contacted thier high ups and they refuse to admit any wrong doing. My complaint is he was sent home when he should not have been, thier defense is he wasnt as sick when he was seen by thier vet as he was the next day when I took him to his regular vet the next day.
As already mentioned, your state Veterinary Board. In most states this is under the Department of Agriculture. In my limited experience dealing with state boards it is extremely difficult to get any decision in your favor. A missed diagnosis, depending on the specifics of course, will probably result in little more then a letter back to you saying something to the effect of "we found no reason to take action." It's still worth a try. At the very least there will be a complaint on record. Laws are changing, and it depends on your state, but at this point your recourse is still very limited.

If you're talking about the chain I'm thinking of they have a LONG history of problems. I took an animal into one of their clinics, a foster dog that was taken there at the direction of the shelter for which I was fostering, and they were an absolute mess. That was the sloppiest neuter job I've ever seen (and I've seen quite a few.) I took him to my vet the next day and fortunately he didn't have any serious problems. I'm not a vet, but I was a director of a research lab, I have written (and still write) medical software, and have dealt with medical and veterinary issues quite extensively over the years (including working closely with the two local vets who run their respective low cost spay/neuter programs in this area.) (My wife's a physician, which is quite helpful at times too.) I would never take an animal to one of their clinics. Every rescue or other type of animal contact I have spoken with has the same opinion.

I hope your pet is OK. Am sending good thoughts to him from our family to yours.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bob66

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CharmsDad

As already mentioned, your state Veterinary Board. In most states this is under the Department of Agriculture. In my limited experience dealing with state boards it is extremely difficult to get any decision in your favor. A missed diagnosis, depending on the specifics of course, will probably result in little more then a letter back to you saying something to the effect of "we found no reason to take action." It's still worth a try. At the very least there will be a complaint on record. Laws are changing, and it depends on your state, but at this point your recourse is still very limited.

If you're talking about the chain I'm thinking of they have a LONG history of problems. I took an animal into one of their clinics, a foster dog that was taken there at the direction of the shelter for which I was fostering, and they were an absolute mess. That was the sloppiest neuter job I've ever seen (and I've seen quite a few.) I took him to my vet the next day and fortunately he didn't have any serious problems. I'm not a vet, but I was a director of a research lab, I have written (and still write) medical software, and have dealt with medical and veterinary issues quite extensively over the years (including working closely with the two local vets who run their respective low cost spay/neuter programs in this area.) (My wife's a physician, which is quite helpful at times too.) I would never take an animal to one of their clinics. Every rescue or other type of animal contact I have spoken with has the same opinion.

I hope your pet is OK. Am sending good thoughts to him from our family to yours.
After taking him to his normal vet whom was not in the day this occured he is fine now
. I probably dont have a leg to stand on with anyone but as stated earlier at least a complaint will be on record, if it saves one person and thier 4 footed friend from going through what we did it will be worth my while. These places usally dont want to admit wrong doing . If a lawyers fees wouldnt out price the bill I would seek legal action just to make a point.

charmsdad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bob66

After taking him to his normal vet whom was not in the day this occured he is fine now
. I probably dont have a leg to stand on with anyone but as stated earlier at least a complaint will be on record, if it saves one person and thier 4 footed friend from going through what we did it will be worth my while. These places usally dont want to admit wrong doing . If a lawyers fees wouldnt out price the bill I would seek legal action just to make a point.
I'm glad he's doing well. In all honesty, I doubt any type of legal action would be productive in any way at al. Things are changing, but currently civil law generally does not provide for any recourse except in the most extreme cases. In reality, your best course is passing the word along to those you know.

Edit: Also, I don't know where you live, but check with your regular vet for recommendations for off hour vet care options.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bob66

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
CharmsDad;2091160 said:
I'm glad he's doing well. In all honesty, I doubt any type of legal action would be productive in any way at al. Things are changing, but currently civil law generally does not provide for any recourse except in the most extreme cases. In reality, your best course is passing the word along to those you know.

Edit: Also, I don't know where you live, but check with your regular vet for recommendations for off hour vet care options.[/

I was well aware of my vets off hours vet care plan however the location is out of the area that i live, reason being it is the only other acredited facility with in 50 miles of where my vet is at.