Do they still refill litter containers?

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not too sure where to ask this so if it's in the wrong place, can a monitor so kindly move it? Please and thank yous!

I heard from my Dad when I was kid that some places can refill your plastic litter containers for a cheaper cost than buying another container of litter. He said that they did it to cut down the amount of plastic containers in landfills.
Do they still do that? And where?
Heck, I wouldn't mind if it still cost the same if I was helping the environment just a little bit more.

pennicat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's their own brand - used to be called Pet Gold and I believe they are changing it to Petco, but it's the same thing. The packaging has changed slightly too. But you can't get refills on anything but their own brand. You have to first purchase a new container filled with litter and then you bring it back each time and save a couple bucks off of the refills. They also have pretty frequent promotional sales, if you have their loyalty card.

I use this litter and I initially started becuase I was tired of all the empty containers that stacked up in our garage. However, once I started using it, I learned that it's actually, in my opinion, one of the best traditional clumping litters out there. It's pretty low dust compared to a lot of them, and it's unscented. I've been very happy with it during the couple years that I've been using it.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got a coupon & just bought a bucket. Be prepared for the bucket to cost $20 to start with. Not sure what re-fills cost, though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pennicat

It's their own brand - used to be called Pet Gold and I believe they are changing it to Petco, but it's the same thing. The packaging has changed slightly too. But you can't get refills on anything but their own brand. You have to first purchase a new container filled with litter and then you bring it back each time and save a couple bucks off of the refills. They also have pretty frequent promotional sales, if you have their loyalty card.

I use this litter and I initially started becuase I was tired of all the empty containers that stacked up in our garage. However, once I started using it, I learned that it's actually, in my opinion, one of the best traditional clumping litters out there. It's pretty low dust compared to a lot of them, and it's unscented. I've been very happy with it during the couple years that I've been using it.
Thank you!!! I'm definetely looking into this further now that I know what it's called. I wonder why other brands like Fresh Step aren't doing this?

eggytoast

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Because there's no FreshStep store. They'd have to convince a pet store to have a big bulk tub filled with litter; much easier for them to handle all of the packaging and shipping themselves.

Plastic tubs are almost trivial to create nowadays, which is why it's more consumer-oriented than manufacturer-oriented.

pennicat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I got a coupon & just bought a bucket. Be prepared for the bucket to cost $20 to start with. Not sure what re-fills cost, though.
I paid $9.99 for refills this week on special. I think normal price is $11.99 for refills, but the normal price for the full tub (not refills) is about $13.99 here (not $20). Maybe prices vary by geography? Seems weird though, as I live in Seattle, very expensive area!

KG

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
PetCo is the only place I know of that does this, and it was the only reason I bought their litter. It's not bad litter, but it's VERY dusty imo.

Originally Posted by pennicat

I paid $9.99 for refills this week on special. I think normal price is $11.99 for refills, but the normal price for the full tub (not refills) is about $13.99 here (not $20). Maybe prices vary by geography? Seems weird though, as I live in Seattle, very expensive area!

KG
The full bucket or the smaller jugs? That's about the price I paid for the jug.