Mad or Hurt? please tell me!

hollow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Background.....Abby (6yrs old) we have had for 6 yrs. Callie and Baloo (7&5 months old) have had for 3 months.

Well, my father just left my house telling me that he and my stepmother could not come over to my house any more, because we have added 2 more cats and that my stepmother is highly allergic to cats. Now I know that she is allergic to cats, but we have had Abby for 6 yrs and they have been here countless times and she never complained about Abby. When we got Callie and Baloo, she thought I was crazy and rediculous for getting them, now since we have gotten Callie and Baloo, her allergies are full blown. She has only been here 1 time for a couple of hour visit since we have gotten Callie and Baloo, and my father said that she was up all night with problems breathing, swollen face, red whelps all over her and that she had to go to the Dr.

What I think is funny is that they use to have a cat for 10 years, but the cat was outdoor only. He said that wasn't a problem for my step-mother because the cat was only outdoors. Funny thing to me is that their cat sat on their outdoor furniture coutions, rubbed against her, she feed it. And that didn't seem to bother her.

I am very upset and have really been since we Callie and Baloo, because everybody has made snide remarks about how crazy I am for getting 2 more cats.

I am sorry, but I just need to vent!

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is possible. I have a friend who can go to her son's house with just 1 cat, but can't come to my house without loading up on antihistimine and I have 2 cats. She can't even go near another friend's house with 5 cats. She gets to the back yard for parties, but can't go inside.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband and I already have 2 cats and were very close to adopting another 2... and it was HIS idea! I don't think your crazy and if your family & friends think 3 is a lot of cats what would they think os sonsrap5 who has 11 cats if I counted right... yes, eleven!

Besides, it's your life and they are your cats... if everyone living in your house is happy then that's all that matters.

sadie'smom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Sister is like that too...
Sadie bothers her after about 2 hours at my house. Other family members with multiple cats she can only last about 20 mins....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hollow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can you be allergic to indoor cats, but not to outdoor cats?

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hollow

Can you be allergic to indoor cats, but not to outdoor cats?
The difference is that the allergen is the dander and outside dander doesn't collect like it does inside. Outside there is wind, rain and other factors that prevent dander from collecting in one place.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

Besides, it's your life and they are your cats... if everyone living in your house is happy then that's all that matters.
Yes! I agree with that.

Don't feel guilted into getting rid of your kitties for the sake of 'visitors' even if they are family.

Look at the positive side. You no longer have to worry about keeping your home spotless for when they come over, or go to the expense of entertaining them. Go to their house and let them fuss and put out the money for entertaining instead

I have 2 kitties and if anyone ever told me that they couldn't come here anymore because of that it wouldn't be any skin off of my back if they never came here again. Just less work for me in the long run.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
If i was made to choose between my cats and someone close to me, there would be no contest. My babies will always come first.

This lady will have to find some other way to visit you if she really cares about you, she can take medicine or meet you elsewhere.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hon, when I adopted Cali, my mom had the nerve to call me a horder.
I mean come on, I have 6 cats, I care for them, I have the means and the finances to care for them, I am not about to get anymore because I am at my limit space and financially wise, so I politely told her the facts about hording and told her that I didn't show any symptoms of a classic horder. Yes I was angry, but what she said would never keep me from having my cats. I know that I can care for my cats, I know that I am NOT by any means a horder, I know that she doesn't like cats and was just trying to upset me and make me feel like I shouldn't take Cali but it didn't work and she will either live with the fact that I have 6 cats, or stay at at hotel when (if) she comes to visit.
I love and respect my mom, but she is really not a nice person sometimes. In fact she can be really mean if she wants to be and doesn't like what you are doing. I've learned that I can take it one of two ways, either let it get to me, or nicely tell her to go to