How should I decorate this birthday cake??? Need suggestions!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, today is my niece Taylor's birthday! She's 13 today!
And tomorrow is my brother-in-law Jason's birthday as well (33 i think!) So tonight i'm having their family over for a birthday party! I'm making a spaghetti dinner (at my niece's request) and a cake for them. It's a round cake. Taylor loves the color blue as does Jason...so i was thinking maybe something blue for her
I was thinking about doing a white cake with polka dots in different colors all around it and then some colorful sprinles on top. I don't have the proper tools to do writing on the cake, so i'm not going to do that.

At the moment i have the cake in the oven- a yummy applesauce spice cake! I am going to put a cream cheese icing on it with a pinch of cinnamon in it!
BUT how should i decorate it? It's for both of them, so i don't want it to look too childish or too old!

I was thinking i could keep the icing white and then put color polka dots on it. I have blue, green and yellow coloring dye and i have blue, red, and green sprinkles. Or i could just do sprinkles, or i could do a colorful icing over the entire thing
What do you think???

The cake is in the oven and will be done soon so i'm trying to figure out how to decorate it at the moment!
Origionally i was going to do white icing with chocolate covered strawberries placed around it (i dip my own and decorate them with white icing over the chocolate), but the grocery store didn't have any that looked very good- so i'm going to stick to just coloring/sprinkles.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At 13, she is practically an adult ... at least in her eyes!
So you don't want anything that would come across to her as "childish."

Either a plain white or chocolate icing with a simply "Happy Birthday" and their names on it.

Or if it's an oblong cake you can decorate 1/2 with plain icing and the other 1/2 with some sprinkles or something on it if you think she will like that.

But I personally would go with plain white or chocolate icing with a simple happy birthday (with their names), and some candles.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Make one side kid decorated & one side adult decorated!
you goober....i will botch that up if i try to make two seperate sides decorated differently

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are so many nice ways to decorate that cake
Polka dots are fun, not too grown up & not too childish...Can't wait to hear how you decided to decorate it!

We wish your niece a great birthday full of suprises! Shes lucky to have an aunt like you!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ohhh my goodness it looks soooo yummy!!!!
I just took it out of the oven to cool- and i took an itsy bitsy tiny crumb off the side (not noticable) just to taste- it's good!
I am going to let it cool for a while (i'm going to run to the dollar store while it cools and get some stuff to decorate the house!
) When i come back it will be cooled off enough to decorate!
i'm still not sure i'm going to decorate it yet! I'll let everyone continute to make suggestions while i'm out....so hopefully when i get back i'll get it all figured out!
Aww i'm soo excited!

When i get back i'm going to start on the spaghetti!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

ohhh my goodness it looks soooo yummy!!!!
I just took it out of the oven to cool- and i took an itsy bitsy tiny crumb off the side (not noticable) just to taste- it's good!
I am going to let it cool for a while (i'm going to run to the dollar store while it cools and get some stuff to decorate the house!
) When i come back it will be cooled off enough to decorate!
i'm still not sure i'm going to decorate it yet! I'll let everyone continute to make suggestions while i'm out....so hopefully when i get back i'll get it all figured out!
Aww i'm soo excited!

When i get back i'm going to start on the spaghetti!
You might want to lock that cake up so your fur family doesn't eat it!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

You might want to lock that cake up so your fur family doesn't eat it!
oh i had it put away while i was gone
i would have hated it if the furries got ahold of it!

Originally Posted by SillyJilly

Hey and we want to see a picture of it when it's done!!!
Aww i wish i had a camera too, my mom is at work atm as well so no chance of borrowing one! I'm hoping Santa brings me one for Christmas

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok here's the plan- i'm going to ATTEMPT to do

White icing with colorful polka dots then a light dusting of color sprinkles all over it!
I hope it turns out ok. I already knocked off a small piece of the bottom when transfereing it to the plate (even though i was really careful!) Wish me luck

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! The cake turned out pretty cute!
I did white icing all the way around and added little blue,yellow, and green polka dots all over it. I layered in the colored sprinkles over that and it turned out pretty cute!
They all liked it!
The party was a success- we had a yummy birthday dinner and a good time!

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear it all turned out well and tasted good! You'll just have to make another cake like that and take a picture of it if you get a camera for christmas!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SillyJilly

Glad to hear it all turned out well and tasted good! You'll just have to make another cake like that and take a picture of it if you get a camera for christmas!
If Santa brings me a camera for Christmas it will be perfect to take a picture of another birthday cake for my nephew's upcomming Febuary birthday