TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Bah! Laundry!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bah! Laundry!

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
The one chore I hate doing is Laundry! I'd rather scrub 10 toilets than do laundry!

I have a portable apartment size washer that you roll over to the sink and connect to the faucet. For the most part it meets my needs. I also have an apartment size energy saving dryer.

I would estimate that a "full load" is equal to maybe a 1/4 load of a standard size washer and dryer.

If I use my washer to do my bedding, it is 3 loads of laundry because only 1 king size sheet (I have a queen size water bed but have king sized sheets so I can tuck in the sides) fits into the washer and/or dryer at one time.

Towels are a nightmare to dry in my dryer because it takes 120 minutes and then a further 70 minutes to dry them! Usually I'm ok with this because it saves me $3.00 if I had to use the building laundry.

Unfortunately I've left my laundry too long and I have 6 loads of laundry (3 bedding and 3 towels), which means I would be doing laundry all day long if I were to use my own small washer and dryer! About 9 hours just for the towels to dry! So I am doing 3 loads (2 bedding and 1 towels) in the laundry room today to get it over with.

All day vs $9.00 and 2 hours? I'll take the $9.00 and 2 hours

On a positive note... Abby gets to help me make the bed and Chynna gets to sleep on clean towels!
post #2 of 17
Laundry is the one chore that I actually enjoy! I'm a bit OCD about keeping the sheets and blankets clean, so I wash those every other day. I wash a small-medium sized load of clothes every other day as well. It's just John and myself that I'm doing laundry for, but since John works on his cars he's always getting his clothes dirty. If I let the laundry go more than 2 days though I get very overwhelmed and frustrated by it.
post #3 of 17
Thread Starter 
If I had a better in apartment washer and dryer I would probably do my laundry more often too.

But it's a real pain to have to always keep the sink cleared of dishes, roll over the washer, hook it up, plug it in and then load the laundry. I also have to regulate the water temperature by adjusting the hot and cold water taps. And the dryer takes so long to dry. 3 Hours for one load of towels (3 or 4 towels). About 90 minutes for one king sized sheet, and about 2 hours for the mattress pad.

There is no way I would be doing my bedding every other day.
post #4 of 17
My biggest complaint is the laundry, I have a king size washer, I do 7-8 loads a week, mind you there are five of us, one being a 16 year old girl. I have started making my 16 year old do the laundry, I have fibromyalgia, so going up and down the stairs, twenty times is some days too difficult.
post #5 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbjerkness View Post
My biggest complaint is the laundry, I have a king size washer, I do 7-8 loads a week, mind you there are five of us, one being a 16 year old girl. I have started making my 16 year old do the laundry, I have fibromyalgia, so going up and down the stairs, twenty times is some days too difficult.
If I had that many loads of laundry I'd probably tell each person who was old enough, to do their own laundry! I wouldn't walk up and down the stairs for that many loads either!
post #6 of 17
Thread Starter 
Done! All that's left is to hook up my garden hose to the kitchen sink so that I can add more water to my waterbed bladder. Add conditioner, remove the bubbles, wipe down the bladder and make the bed.

I think I'll have a nap on the couch before doing all of that though!
post #7 of 17
I would love to have an apartment size washer! I take 4 loads to the laundrymat every Saturday. There is no hook up (or room) in our apartment for a washer or dryer.
post #8 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcat View Post
I would love to have an apartment size washer! I take 4 loads to the laundrymat every Saturday. There is no hook up (or room) in our apartment for a washer or dryer.

There is no hook up or room in my apartment for one either.

That's why I bought apartment size portable ones. Both the washer and dryer have wheels that I can roll them to where I need.

Here is a picture of part of my dining room where they sit. When I want to do laundry I wheel the washer to the left into the kitchen and attach the hose to my faucet. When I'm done I put it back where you see it. The dryer stays where it is. The dryer is not vented to the outside. The white thing you see off to the right is a vent hose that is attached to a lint collector. I bought the set up at Regal because I found that I had lint flying all around with no vent hose attached. There is a bin at the end that collects the lint. You can stand it up and fill it with water so that the heat from the dryer will also work to add humidity to your home. But I don't bother. It keeps falling over.

The stand is for the dryer to sit on, but to me it looks too wonky to support that dryer. Plus you have to bore a huge hole into the wall to attach a bolt of some kind and a chain in order to prevent the dryer from toppling over from the vibration. So I never bothered to do that step and have just left the stand sit there. I use it to hang things from as I'm taking stuff from the dryer.



I'm not real keen on having a washer and dryer in my dining room, but it's the lesser of 2 evils. Back when I bought it there was a woman living next door to me who tied up the laundry room from morning to night at least 4 times a week because she did her laundry and the laundry of her son and his wife and their 4 kids! I usually ended up having to wash all of my work uniforms and most of my clothing by hand in the bathtub because I could never get into the laundry room. Plus I don't have that many uniforms and when I'm working a stretch of 7 shifts I have to wash them 3 times that week. At $3.00 per load that gets pretty steep.

The 2 pieces together cost me $1,400.00 (portable ones are more expensive) but in the 10 years that I've had them they have more than paid for themselves.
post #9 of 17
I hate doing laundry too. I only wash mine and my boyfriends laundry but it seems like it never stops. We thankfully have a pretty good size washer/dryer and our house is all one floor so no walking up and down stairs.
post #10 of 17
I don't mind doing laundry. But we do have to share a whaer/dryer with the 3 other apartments.. which gets kind of annoying.

And I don't like having to go outside and downstairs to do the laundry either, lol.
post #11 of 17
Our apartment charges $1.50 per load so it usually costs me $9 for laundry too. I'd rather take that than do what you're doing with the portable one. No wonder you hate laundry!
post #12 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyD1987 View Post
Our apartment charges $1.50 per load so it usually costs me $9 for laundry too. I'd rather take that than do what you're doing with the portable one. No wonder you hate laundry!

Yep! Hate it with a passion! It takes me hours and it ties up my entire kitchen. On days that I have lots of laundry to do I usually end up ordering in some food because I can't get in there to cook anything.

Our building charges $1.75 to wash and $1.25 to dry. I found out today that they halved the drying time to 30 minutes from 1 hour. My towels weren't quite dry at 30 minutes, but I wasn't going to put in another $1.25 token.

I managed to add water to my waterbed. Wipe down the vinyl and remove the air bubbles. My back gave out after that. I still have to put the hose away and make my bed. But I think I'll do those 2 things tomorrow. I'll just sleep on top of the comforter tonight and cover myself with a blanket.
post #13 of 17
Laundry! I hate it!! Well dont mind washing it, its the folding and putting away I cant stand!!!
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by catloverin_ks View Post
Laundry! I hate it!! Well dont mind washing it, its the folding and putting away I cant stand!!!
I HATE HATE HATE the folding and putting away part! I hate Laundry! Unfortunately, with my allergies- i always have to try and stay on top of things....i just hate putting laundry away though- don't know why, but i just dread it! The worst though is work- at the animal shelter we do countless loads of laundry every day and fold/put it away- by the time i'm off work, the last thing i want to do is my own laundry at home!
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca View Post

Towels are a nightmare to dry in my dryer because it takes 120 minutes and then a further 70 minutes to dry them! Usually I'm ok with this because it saves me $3.00 if I had to use the building laundry.

just a suggestion but if you will spin the towels a extra cycle or so it will help remove excess water from them and make the drying a lot quicker.

and i HATE doing laundry, i dont mind the washing and drying but folding and hanging the laundry makes me angry. i would rather be kicked then have to do it, i usually trick roman into that part, i pretend to be doing something else and suggest he help with laundry!
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca View Post
There is no hook up or room in my apartment for one either.

That's why I bought apartment size portable ones. Both the washer and dryer have wheels that I can roll them to where I need.

Here is a picture of part of my dining room where they sit. When I want to do laundry I wheel the washer to the left into the kitchen and attach the hose to my faucet. When I'm done I put it back where you see it. The dryer stays where it is. The dryer is not vented to the outside. The white thing you see off to the right is a vent hose that is attached to a lint collector. I bought the set up at Regal because I found that I had lint flying all around with no vent hose attached. There is a bin at the end that collects the lint. You can stand it up and fill it with water so that the heat from the dryer will also work to add humidity to your home. But I don't bother. It keeps falling over.

The stand is for the dryer to sit on, but to me it looks too wonky to support that dryer. Plus you have to bore a huge hole into the wall to attach a bolt of some kind and a chain in order to prevent the dryer from toppling over from the vibration. So I never bothered to do that step and have just left the stand sit there. I use it to hang things from as I'm taking stuff from the dryer.



I'm not real keen on having a washer and dryer in my dining room, but it's the lesser of 2 evils. Back when I bought it there was a woman living next door to me who tied up the laundry room from morning to night at least 4 times a week because she did her laundry and the laundry of her son and his wife and their 4 kids! I usually ended up having to wash all of my work uniforms and most of my clothing by hand in the bathtub because I could never get into the laundry room. Plus I don't have that many uniforms and when I'm working a stretch of 7 shifts I have to wash them 3 times that week. At $3.00 per load that gets pretty steep.

The 2 pieces together cost me $1,400.00 (portable ones are more expensive) but in the 10 years that I've had them they have more than paid for themselves.
10 years - that's great! I would get a stackable set, but we don't even have room for that. I know what you mean about the dining room, though.
post #17 of 17
Laundry isn't my peeve... but vacuuming is. I hate hate hate it. I hate the noise and the cord getting tangled and the head getting clogged with pet hair. It's not a new thing though, when we had chores as kids I was always the vacuumer as my sister had allergies. I don't even mind doing dishes by hand, but I don't vacuum as often as I should because of the hassle. /sigh
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Bah! Laundry!