Chevy Cobalt

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, I could use some help. I have a 1998 Chevrolet Cavalier that I'm thinking abou replacing with a new car. I read that the Cobalt has replaced the Cavalier as GMs compact car but I don't know anything about them. Does anyone here have one?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Humm no experience there....but we just bought a new Ford Escape- and it is awesome!
Nothing but a good experience with it so far!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Nikki. I'll check out the Escape.

I'm still debating whether or not to get a new car. I have a few things that I need to get fixed on this one:
Driver door window doesn't roll up and down right
Trunk won't stay up when open ( I can't figure out how to reset the metal rods that hold it up when open)
Now the trunk won't lock when I close it. I can't figure out why it won't.
I also have a relay that needs to be replaced.
My AC has a leak and only the two highest blower settings work.

There isn't anything going on with the car that I consider a major repair. I've had good luck with the car. The only major part repairs outside of brakes (and usual maintenance) have been replacing the fuel pump, alternator and the clutch for the AC compressor. I'd like to have a new car but I don't think I need one as long as I get the above fixed and stay up on the maintenance. I can afford the payment, that's not a problem. What's holding me back is that I have a loan through citifinancial and my current car is the collateral. I don't know how getting a new car would affect the payment. I'm thinking if I do get a new car I still keep the Cavalier (the collateral for the loan) until I get the loan paid off. Dunno...

How is the escape on gas mileage?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Essayons89

Thanks, Nikki. I'll check out the Escape.

I'm still debating whether or not to get a new car. I have a few things that I need to get fixed on this one:
Driver door window doesn't roll up and down right
Trunk won't stay up when open ( I can't figure out how to reset the metal rods that hold it up when open)
Now the trunk won't lock when I close it. I can't figure out why it won't.
I also have a relay that needs to be replaced.
My AC has a leak and only the two highest blower settings work.

There isn't anything going on with the car that I consider a major repair. I've had good luck with the car. The only major part repairs outside of brakes (and usual maintenance) have been replacing the fuel pump, alternator and the clutch for the AC compressor. I'd like to have a new car but I don't think I need one as long as I get the above fixed and stay up on the maintenance. I can afford the payment, that's not a problem. What's holding me back is that I have a loan through citifinancial and my current car is the collateral. I don't know how getting a new car would affect the payment. I'm thinking if I do get a new car I still keep the Cavalier (the collateral for the loan) until I get the loan paid off. Dunno...

How is the escape on gas mileage?
It's great on gas milage! I get better mpg out of the new suv than my old Mercury Sable
The consumer reports are always a little pessamistic when they post the mpg ratings- so if you care for it properly you'll probably get even better (you know- maintaining air in your tires, changing the oil/etc -helps with the fuel economy) I think ours gets about 19mpg as an estimate- but probably better than that at the moment! It depends on if you get the 4 cylinder or the 6 as well- the ride isn't too different on the two- (we tested both) - and since the 4 cylinder uses less power- you guzzel less gas. We do mostly city driving, so we chose the 4 cylinder. We were able to get an awesome price on ours thankfully because his dad retired from Ford credit- so we qualified for the Z plan and it saved us quite a bit. We wouldn't compromise on the 4 wheel drive though- it's a must for us!
Ours is the XLT (i think!) edition- it comes with the moon roof, info screen, and a lot of other features. One cool thing about the Escapes- the seats are made out of recycled material- so i love that they're a little bit green ya know! The seats also fold ALL the way down in the back- so tons of space back there!!! It's the perfect family vehicle for us- very safe as well. I think my favorite thing about it though if i'm honest is the safety features and the HUGE windows- you can see the road very well from it and the "greenhouse" style windows are great! You're also up a little higher in this than a car- so your able to see better as far as driving is concerned. (i'm short, so that's awesome!)

Oh yea, do not waste your money on the hybrid-they're a rip off
Yes they get AWESOME mpg- they estimate 32- but likely get a little better than that. But - it will take years before they "pay for themselves" gas wise. The average person spends between 1500-2000 on gas a year.....you're paying at LEAST 10,000 extra for a hybrid -so when you do the math- it will take quite a few yrs for it to pay for itself gas wise...and by then- there will be newer and better models (hopefully at better prices!) and maybe you'll get even more mpg out of them. By the time you pay for it though-it'll be time for another car so hybrids at the moment, because of the high price aren't that economical.

malynn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We bought our daughter one for graduation from high school back in May, hers is silver. She really likes it and I drive it too sometimes. It gets great gas mileage and rides good. Its got some good features like automatic headlights that stay on in the daytime for safety and turn themselves off when you leave the car through a sensor. It tells you the temperature outside, oil life, estimates the fuel thats in the car, gas milaege, all kinds of alarms, like if someone doesnt put on their seatbelt, the trunk or door isnt closed all the way, etc. The sound system sounds good also, has a jack for iPod to be plugged into. It has a huge trunk.
Its a cute little car for the money. We bought the LT model, it doesnt have all the extras on it, but has lots of standard features.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info, Malynn.

What features come standard on the car? Power windows, etc.

I'm seriously considering getting a new car. I have some off time coming in the next couple weeks and want to check these out.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My sister has one, Bryan, and she loves it too. I don't know much more about it, other than it was a very decent price and she has all the bells and whistles.