My heart is breaking

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
For the last few years, I have struggled to accept just how old my grandfather is. Ok, since I was a kid, I always thought of my grandfather as "old" but not "very old", and certainly not someone who would die any time soon.

Now I have started to accept that maybe every time I see him might be the last.

He ended up at the hospital last week because he wasn't feeling well. They found out he had water in his lungs because his heart is getting weak. Problem is, his kidneys are also very weak and he needs to drink lots of water because of it... which makes the problem with his lungs worst.
Everything is gradually shutting down. At best, the doctors might be able to manage it, but I doubt they can help for much longer. I don't know how much longer he'll be around. He might be able to return home soon, and hopefully still have some time with us. But I'm not sure.

It breaks my heart. I love my grampa and I don't want to loose him.

I went to see him at the hospital this weekend and we had a long chat. He understands his situation and he doesn't seem scared. He says he just wants to enjoy the time he has left. As I left, he told me to tell my parents not to worry... that he was really just pretending to be sick because they take such good care of him at the hospital, it's like a vacation.

Could you please send some vibes and prayers his way to make sure he doesn't suffer and that he will still have many happy times to spend with us?

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
*hugs* i'm sending you lots of vibes. You know, you never know, he could still be around for a while yet. My grandfather is 87, he's been to hospital so many times, and my father has been telling me every Christmas for the last 5 years to 'prepare' myself for the worst, but he's held on. He's outlived so many friends, but he has so many kids and grandkids who love him. I am sure your grandfather will be ok *hugs* I know exactly how you feel and am thinking of you and your family

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know how you feel. My grandpa is 89 and every year since he was about 80 we were told it will be his last Christmas.

Hopefully he comes home soon.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Even when you know that the time is coming, it is still not easy to face it. Prayers that your grandfather is comfortable in his last days and for you, the strength to remember and honor him even though his loss causes you great pain.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh honey, I'm so sorry, but don't give up hope! How old is your grandfather? My grandfather passed away at age 92, and up until 2 hours before he passed he was still flirting with the nurses. I doesn't sound like your Grandfather is anywhere close to that (my Grandpa was in a nursing home and going home was not an option).

One blessing is it sounds like his mind is still all there. It sounds like he can still take medicine himself, and medicine could very well give him many more years. Don't stress yourself out and give up on him yet. It is very hard when a close family member is sick, believe me I know. But, don't dwell on what "could" happen, and enjoy what is happening.

One thing I really regret is not memorizing some of the family stories. When I was younger, I used to roll my eyes and think "ok, this is the same story I've heard sooooo many times", and now I can't remember most of them. I would suggest spending a lot of time with him, and record everything he says even if he rambles. Not only will it give you something you can listen to or watch later, but you will have family stories forever.

Sending lots of "Get Well" vibes to your Grandfather, and vibes out to you too.

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hon, loads of vibes coming from here in Alabama! I know how you feel, in a way though. my grandpa lived to be 99, mind you, every Christmas for the past 6-7 years, we had expected that he wouldn't be here for the next one. Well, seems last year, we were right, as he passed just after his birthday in August.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Enjoy the time you have left with him, and don't obsess about the end coming. My grandpa died in 1981, and I still miss him as if it had happened yesterday. My parents are in their mid '70's. It's so hard to watch them getting old, and knowing that they won't be with me forever.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((
))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
Many good vibes dear Mary!

Don´t give up!

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Vibes flying his way. I still miss my grandpa (Opa) like mad and it has been 6 years. I will pray for him.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Oh honey, I'm so sorry, but don't give up hope! How old is your grandfather? My grandfather passed away at age 92, and up until 2 hours before he passed he was still flirting with the nurses. I doesn't sound like your Grandfather is anywhere close to that (my Grandpa was in a nursing home and going home was not an option).

One blessing is it sounds like his mind is still all there. It sounds like he can still take medicine himself, and medicine could very well give him many more years. Don't stress yourself out and give up on him yet. It is very hard when a close family member is sick, believe me I know. But, don't dwell on what "could" happen, and enjoy what is happening.

One thing I really regret is not memorizing some of the family stories. When I was younger, I used to roll my eyes and think "ok, this is the same story I've heard sooooo many times", and now I can't remember most of them. I would suggest spending a lot of time with him, and record everything he says even if he rambles. Not only will it give you something you can listen to or watch later, but you will have family stories forever.

Sending lots of "Get Well" vibes to your Grandfather, and vibes out to you too.
So well said.

That realization that you don't have "forever" and that you may have less time than you thought is really really tough. Just really enjoy the time you have and spend it making and preserving memories. Your Grandfather sounds a lot like my Dad, too, who passed away two years ago at 93 -- still flirting even after he stopped talking.

I hope his medical issues are manageable and you have many more wonderful years with him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
Thank you all for the vibes and prayers.
Once again, you guys worked miracles.

He will be leaving the hospital tomorrow. There is no more water in his lungs.

Things are still not very good overall - his heart and kidneys will only get worst - but I'm glad he's feeling better now. Hopefully he'll be around and well for a while still.