How do you put medicine in a cat when living alone?

cadence

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has had ear problems for a year now, and the mites are finally gone I think but she is left with an ear infection. When she had the mites it was a once a week application and she HATED it. I had to have my parents come over to have my father put the drops in while I held her wrapped in a blanket and she nearly got away every time. With every week she seemed more scared.

So now the medicine I was given is to be put in her ears TWICE a DAY ... I have no idea how to do this since I live alone. Do any of you live alone and maybe have found a way to get medicine in your cat's ears? My can starts drooling in fear and hides as soon as the cap is open and she smells it. She is normally super friendly also, but now that it is known to be an infection I have to find a way somehow...

Thanks for any help, I am frustrated and have no idea what to do.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor baby girl.

Our kitty Lazlo hates his meds too. Here's my suggestion.

Open the bottle in the bathroom, stick it in a pocket. Put down her favorite treats.

You gotta do this next part quick. Get behind her on your knees, heels together, and sit on your feet (so kitty is "encapsulated" in the V made by your legs). This way she can't back out. As you're sitting behind her, get the drops out of your pocket. Hold her head with your other hand, tilting it a little so you can get the drops in there.

The important thing to remember is that she needs the medicine, and you are NOT hurting her. She is afraid, but it doesn't hurt. It's not like not getting a pill down properly and making her gag. It's really important that you get in a frame of mind that you can do this and to be as confident as possible while doing it. And the quicker you're able to do it, the quicker it's over.

Good luck -

Laurie

charmsdad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Off the top of my head I'd suggest a cat restraint bag. There are various types available and not very expensive. Some zip, others close with velcro, but they wrap the cat up and you should be able to treat her. They're quite effective and easy to use (once you get the hang of them.)

There are very effective restraint techniques that are pretty standard your vet may be able to show you. With some practice you may find these even easier than the bag.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Poor baby girl.

Open the bottle in the bathroom, stick it in a pocket. Put down her favorite treats.

You gotta do this next part quick. Get behind her on your knees, heels together, and sit on your feet (so kitty is "encapsulated" in the V made by your legs). This way she can't back out. As you're sitting behind her, get the drops out of your pocket. Hold her head with your other hand, tilting it a little so you can get the drops in there.

The important thing to remember is that she needs the medicine, and you are NOT hurting her. She is afraid, but it doesn't hurt. It's not like not getting a pill down properly and making her gag. It's really important that you get in a frame of mind that you can do this and to be as confident as possible while doing it. And the quicker you're able to do it, the quicker it's over.

Good luck -

Laurie
And I might add that you hold her head for a few seconds after applying the drops so that she doesn't shake them out. I've also had pretty good luck using the top of my dryer as a table and using the crook of my arm the same way as described by Laurie. It just takes a little practice.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im with them! I always give my cats meds alone, weather it be pill, drops, or iv! I kind of sit on them so they cant move and scratch me and then do it quickly and then when they get done they drool all over the place! Good luck to you and your kitty! keep us posted!

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
one trick that the vet taught me (this only works if your kitty is not normally allowed on the countertop) is put kitty on top of the table or countertop, if it's unfamiliar to them they tend to be a little subdued, like on a vets table.
Hold the scruff of the neck and pull up until the kitty is essentially "paralyzed" and put the drops in and then rub the ear so the drops don't come out when kitty shakes his/her head.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Poor baby girl.

Good luck -

Laurie
I usually get Nate to help me with any meds, but if he's not around or busy doing something this is exactly how I do it myself, just drop down behind the cat on the floor so it is in the V made by my knees, facing outwards. One hand on the chest to stop forward movement. Eyes and ears are easier than pilling I find, because you don't have to open the mouth and then make sure they swallow! The important thing is to get it done quickly, so it doesn't become something to fear (for either of you). Getting yourself in an "I'm in charge here" frame of mind first really helps you to do it with confidence.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

I usually get Nate to help me with any meds, but if he's not around or busy doing something this is exactly how I do it myself, just drop down behind the cat on the floor so it is in the V made by my knees, facing outwards. One hand on the chest to stop forward movement. Eyes and ears are easier than pilling I find, because you don't have to open the mouth and then make sure they swallow! The important thing is to get it done quickly, so it doesn't become something to fear (for either of you). Getting yourself in an "I'm in charge here" frame of mind first really helps you to do it with confidence.
That's what I do when Mike can't help me.

You could also try wrapping kitty in a towel. That never worked for me because I couldn't get it wrapped tight enough.
They look like a little cat mummy if you get it right. And it does work if you can get them wrapped.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cadence

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all so much for the replies - I feel alot better about trying this now.

However my cat hurt her leg a couple hours after my first post so I am a bit hesitant to try to do the drops while she is healing (don't want to traumatize her or hurt her). I might need a trip to the vet to look at her leg so if I do maybe he can put in a round of drops for me to get the ball rolling.